Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider my self a pretty smooth rider, and i usually don't take up too much of my travel, on small little normal things, When i go big and stuff i get pretty close to bottoming or else bottom. As most of you know i have a super t, it's fine, i love it, but it seems like it's a little to plush. I've heard about it coming with a low oil level or something. I've bottomed it a couple of times on some 10-12 foot drops to tranny, i know i can land smoother, but it's just annoying that if i go a little sloppy it will bottom. Also how bad is it to bottom out the fork?

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats reasurring, thanks, but sorry, i've never worked with forks. I sound like a dumba$$ but what do i do to get the oil, and put it in the fork, ,etc.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
not surprising a box-stock Super T will bottom on a 12 footer, even one with a nice tranny and even when you're pretty smooth.

when I rode a Super T ('03 and '04) I found that in order to avoid bottoming frequently on anything bigger than about 6 feet, it needed heavier oil AND heavier springs, and I ride smoothly and weigh only 160-165 lbs.

it seems that the Super T is set up pretty much for DH racing, with little compression resistance and excellent rebound damping adjustment. I loved it on techie DH courses without the heavier oil and heavier springs, provided I kept it low on the drops.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
get some Golden Spectro synthetic oil. 125/150 weight (same as 7.5 weight)

Unscrew the top crowns and add only a capfull at a time. This adds about 3 to 5 mm to your oil height.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
get some Golden Spectro synthetic oil. 125/150 weight (same as 7.5 weight)

Unsrew the top crowns and add only a capfull at a time. This adds about 3 to 5 mm to your oil height.
that's what I replaced my stock '03 Super T oil with, SMT. great stuff. I put it in my '03 Z1 too.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Marzocchi recommends only Golden Spectro fork oil. I prefer Silkolene. Whatever it is, use 7.5 wt. You can buy it at good motorcycle service shops for about $10 to $15 per quart.

Download the service manual from the Marzocchi web site, and follow the instructions. Post any questions you might have during the process. Typically, you can over-fill the forks quite a bit to suit your taste to prevent bottoming out.

-Brad

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sounds pretty simple. I have 2 questions, where can i buy the spectro, preferably internet, and i've taken off the left side ssv crown and when i put it back on it seemed like the preload adjuster on top got disconnected to something, and it just twists super easy now. i dont' want to have something to happen to my good hscv side with the rebound adjustment. Is there any precasions i should take?
THanks in advanced.

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, what effects will this have on the feel of the fork, and how it performs. Also how can i take oil out if i've put too much in?

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
????????sorry, it's just i need to know in a rush.

·
Registered
136 Posts
one itsy bitsy detail with adding oil:

It would be best if you removed both caps and compressed the fork all the way. That gives the true oil height. While your at it, flip the bike upside down and let all the old dirty oil dump out into an oil pan. Mad props if only a couple ounces land on your new carpet.

I got oil at an ATV/snowmobile/dirtbike shop. $13/quart. Raise the oil level to 30mm in both legs (as measured from underside of cap) You will never bottom. As you do steep downhill, riding the brake, you will notice that the fork will "ramp up" sooner giving you slightly longer fork legs and probably better geometry.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
BansheeHucker said:
that sounds pretty simple. I have 2 questions, where can i buy the spectro, preferably internet, and i've taken off the left side ssv crown and when i put it back on it seemed like the preload adjuster on top got disconnected to something, and it just twists super easy now. i dont' want to have something to happen to my good hscv side with the rebound adjustment. Is there any precasions i should take?
THanks in advanced.
buy it at a local motorcycle shop...call marz customer service 800-227-5579 for the info you need

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.