Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super-Moto Jack of All Trades?

No one to let a MBA article sway my buying decisions, I've been doing my reading on the Titus board. Seems most people are building thier SMs as 7" heavy duty trailbikes/FR bikes.

I'm currently riding an Enduro and looking for a higher end frame: 575, 5 Spot, X-5 and now the Super-Moto. I like the idea of setting up the bike with fewer inches of travel for normal riding conditions, say 5 or 6 inches. Then down the road having the option of setting it up in 7 inch mode when my skills increase to use the extra travel and when I have the money to buy the additional hardware.

For the inital build I would set it up with an RP3 and use my existing Vanilla. I will push the limits of my budget just to get the frame. I have pretty good equipment to transfer from my Enduro. Latter I'd look to purchase a used DHX and 7 inch fork.

Any thoughts on this plan? Are people buidling thier SMs as lighter trailbikes with 5 inches of travel? If so, whats shock/fork set up are you running? What's the weight? Photos?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
mtnfiend said:
No one to let a MBA article sway my buying decisions, I've been doing my reading on the Titus board. Seems most people are building thier SMs as 7" heavy duty trailbikes/FR bikes.

I'm currently riding an Enduro and looking for a higher end frame: 575, 5 Spot, X-5 and now the Super-Moto. I like the idea of setting up the bike with fewer inches of travel for normal riding conditions, say 5 or 6 inches. Then down the road having the option of setting it up in 7 inch mode when my skills increase to use the extra travel and when I have the money to buy the additional hardware.

For the inital build I would set it up with an RP3 and use my existing Vanilla. I will push the limits of my budget just to get the frame. I have pretty good equipment to transfer from my Enduro. Latter I'd look to purchase a used DHX and 7 inch fork.

Any thoughts on this plan? Are people buidling thier SMs as lighter trailbikes with 5 inches of travel? If so, whats shock/fork set up are you running? What's the weight? Photos?
supermotos are heavy equipment. The MBA bike was less than 30 pounds, but that is without pedals.

The frame tubing is thick and stiff. It is heavy. I don't think you will ever have to worry about a tubing dent. It'll probably be the last bike you'll have to buy. Tough bikes are heavy.

The supermoto is my do everything bike. My 42 pound do everything bike. But I don't race. I just ride to hang out with my buddies and get out into the outdoors.

I went to a yeti demo last weekend. I did half a loop on a 575, then rode it back and pulled out my supermoto, I was much more happy riding on my own rig.

A 575 would be a good first full suspension bike for a hard tail lover. Its set up like a long travel ASR. If you are used to FSR then you probably won't like it.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
heavy duty Switchblade

mtnfiend said:
As I understand it, with the shorter travel linkage, the S'moto effectively becomes a heavy duty Switchblade (similar geometry). The frame is heavier, but with similar builds, you're probably only looking at an extra pound or two using the S'moto frame instead of a SB, and you don't have the tire limitations the SB does - mine had tire rub on bottom out running WTB motoraptor 2.24's in back.
The only limiting factor I see w/ the S'moto (but then your Enduro has it too) is the interupted seat tube, but you can get a telescoping post to get around that.

·
Still rockin' those bibs!
134 Posts
When I built mine, it was 31 lbs even...

Here's the build:

SM Frame w/7" rockers and a Swinger 4-way Air
Full 960 XTR
King ISO hubs on Mavic XM819's
Thru-Axle Manitou Nixon Platinum
King Headset
Thomson Stem and Post
Flite Gel Ti saddle
Mallet M Pedals
Monkeylite XC Bar
Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 UST's
ODI Lock-On Grips

I don't think changing out the shock and rockers for the shorter ones will save you more than about half a pound, and choosing to run a TALAS and X-717s with stans and Python Airlites will shave another pound maybe. So what, you're looking at 29-1/2 pounds? Add to that wheels and tires that clearly don't match up well with the frame's character.

Just so you know, mine has gone further down the road toward freeride, now sporting a 7 inch Sherman Slider, EX-823 rims, and a 2.5" Minion up front with a 2.35" Fat Albert in the rear. My belief is that stiffer parts actually perform better than lighter ones.

My final advice: Build two bikes. Start with a capable lightweight XC machine, and begin saving from day one for the new heavy-duty machine. Use the time it takes to save up convincing your significant other that your bike needs are set in stone. Don't make the mistake I did and sacrifice your lightweight XC rig for a big hit bike. YOU NEED TWO BIKES!!! Ahem.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
The Super Moto is a Super Burly frame, in fact its heavier than most Freeride frames on the market. I weighed a large with a 4 way coil at just shy of 11 lbs. that’s 2.5lbs heavier than a Bullit or 6 Pack, 1.5 lbs heavier than an ASX or UZZI VPX all with comparable coils. The Super Moto’s mainframe is so beefy can handle a 9” travel rear end and the punishment that type of travel encourages. It may be possible to put an RP3 and a little fox fork on it and get some reasonable geometry but IMHO that’s not what that bike was intended for. The linkage for an air shock on that frame is different than the coil so to upgrade from air to coil in the future ($400 shock and ~$100 linkage) will probably set you back about $500 or nearly 1/3 the price of the frame to start with. The other bikes you listed are in a whole other class. Of those frames I would look at a 575 or a Moto-Light both are reasonably priced, come with an RP3 and would work well with your Vanilla.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for Talking Me Out of an SM

After reading these posts it does appear that the Super-Moto is not the frame for me. I want a go anywhere (well almost anywhere) trailbike. It must have at least 5 inches of travel but 6 would be nice. I'd like to keep the weight just under or just over 30 pounds. For now I will have to transfer my Vanilla due to costs.

I will be transfering most or all of the following parts to my new frame:
Vanilla 125 RL
King/XM819s
Thompson post and stem 100/5deg
Hope M4/Mono
XT shifters, XT rear LX front
Carbon bars
I like to purchase new cranks and BB, likely get the new Hone with two rings and e13 guard.

I looked at the Mono-Lite for a while but read about tire clearance problems and don't like the idea of the interupted seatpost all that much based on my experience with my Enduro. For the right bike I will like with it and get the Titec post.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The old TItus Quasimoto may be the bikes for you. The Five Spot is not a free ride bike but it would be perfect for the riding you're at now. The Turner Six Pack may be an option but it may also be too heavy. A few people have a saying buy the bike for most of your riding and suck it up for the rest.

What is wrong with your Enduro? It's a good bike and if I had one and it fit (I don't like Specialized's fit) I would keep it.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
also

mtnfiend said:
After reading these posts it does appear that the Super-Moto is not the frame for me. I want a go anywhere (well almost anywhere) trailbike. It must have at least 5 inches of travel but 6 would be nice. I'd like to keep the weight just under or just over 30 pounds. For now I will have to transfer my Vanilla due to costs.

Vanilla 125 RL
King/XM819s
Hope M4/Mono
Carbon bars
I like to purchase new cranks and BB, likely get the new Hone with two rings and e13 guard.

I looked at the Mono-Lite for a while but read about tire clearance problems and don't like the idea of the interupted seatpost all that much based on my experience with my Enduro. For the right bike I will like with it and get the Titec post.
Moto lite has an uninterrupted seatpost.
Also you should look at the '05 Enduros, they would be closer to the 5 Spot/ 6 pack weightrange.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,620 Posts
mtnfiend said:

Vanilla 125 RL
King/XM819s
Hope M4/Mono
Carbon bars

On the Motolite, the rear clearance issue has been solved (see the latest thread on the issue). It's also the only bike in the Titus line up that has an uninterrupted seatpost.

For a burly 6" travel bike, the Giant Reign is nice (buddy has one) but you need some good parts to get it down to 30#. Otherwise, 6 pack, Moment seem nice.

BTW, it'd be nice if Titus would release a 6" travel frame with a geometry similar to the Motolite but slightly stronger. I guess that'd be a nice replacement to the Quasi.

·
Registered
819 Posts
zorg said:
On the Motolite, the rear clearance issue has been solved (see the latest thread on the issue). It's also the only bike in the Titus line up that has an uninterrupted seatpost.
They changed the design on the Racer X without updating the website? What about the HCR, FCR and their line of road bikes do they have interrupted seat tubes now?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,620 Posts
Braids said:
They changed the design on the Racer X without updating the website? What about the HCR, FCR and their line of road bikes do they have interrupted seat tubes now?
My bad. Oops. Was thinking about their long travel bikes. :eek:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Salami said:
I have weighed two large Bullits with 5th Element coils, each one came in at 9.4lbs. That is a 1.5 lb difference from the SM you weighed.
I weighed my supermoto frame tonight. 4900g. , thats just under 11 pounds. that is with the coil in full FR trim, 500 pound spring.

you can drop it to 10 pounds with a the swinger air with the FR linkage.

my buddies demo 9 was 13.5 pounds on the same scale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone broke a super moto frame

I am a 230# rider that rides alot and I am very hard on frames I have broke 3 GT I drives 8 Ellsworth Truths all in 4 years. I am thinking of buying a supermoto even though it dos not have a lifetime warranty wondering if it will hold up thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
bikemartin said:
I am a 230# rider that rides alot and I am very hard on frames I have broke 3 GT I drives 8 Ellsworth Truths all in 4 years. I am thinking of buying a supermoto even though it dos not have a lifetime warranty wondering if it will hold up thanks
Huh? You broke 11 frames in 4 years? You need a motorcycle not a mountain bike. I also weigh 230 and have not broken a Titus QM or SM in 8 years of riding.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
TrailDude said:
Huh? You broke 11 frames in 4 years? You need a motorcycle not a mountain bike. I also weigh 230 and have not broken a Titus QM or SM in 8 years of riding.
wow 7 years on a QM then you got a SM. I guess why change a good thing. :)

for what it is worth, when I called titus back in november. I asked them the same question. had anyone broken a supermoto? they said that no one had. the super moto shares the same chain stay and seat stay as the QM, and that the weak link on the QM was the frame.

Did you know, that all the titus bikes use the same chain stay form factor. A switchblade chain stay will fit on a QM or a super moto. the SM free ride chain stay will fit on a moto lite or switch blade. interchangable parts are very cool.

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
bikemartin said:
No doubt a Super Moto would serve you well.... but almost anything would be better than those two bikes. They must have the worst combined breakage record of any two bikes of which I know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love mine. I also ride a Racer-X, so I clearly have a preference for supporting my local bike maker, but I REALLY love the rides.

I ride this bike up South Mountain (but not like I ride the Racer-X up the mountain). The original config weighed 34 lbs on the button. I have since made a couple minor mods, and I am guessing it is down to 32 lbs. However... If you want a light bike, get a light bike. If you want a bike that can handle bigger hits, get this bike. It doesn't sound like you want a true downhill bomber, and this isn't that. I think if you want to do 3' or 4' drops and get some air, this is your bike. If you are looking to climb whatever you are going down, this is your bike. If you are worried about weight, then you can't be worrying about hitting bigger drops. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My Setup:

Super-Moto (XL) w/5.7" linkage
Fox 36R
Hope Mini's
Race Face Deus XC Crank/BB
Mavic CrossMax XC
Sram X9 Rear Derailleur
Sram X9 trigger shifters
XT Front Derailleur
Race Face Diabolus handlebar
Thomson Elite stem
Crank Bros Mallet C's
Kenda Nevegal & Blue Groove tires
Thompson Seat Tube
Pratt & Whitney FT8® Turbine (to get me up South Mountain/National Trail w/o any dabs)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.