Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Speechless! This frame is a work of art. It just arrived today UPS. Can't wait to start the buildout once I get all the rest of the parts.

This is an XL Super-Moto with a Switchblade rear and Manitou SPV 4-way coil over. Don't know the exact weight yet because I don't have a scale. I bought the frame through Charles at Hammerhead Bikes. Contrary to the negative press I've seen recently on Hammerhead, Charles was responsive and kept in regular communication though the deal. Good job Titus & Hammerhead!

I'm firmly in the Clydesdale category at 6-3 & 220 lbs. I'm going to run this in 7 inch mode for technical trails and light freeride duty. Black is the theme for this bike. I'm adding a 6 inch, 3.5 lb. Maverick American DUC32 triple crown which comes with the hub & stem. I'm also adding Chris King headset/rear hub, DT Swiss rims, SRAM XO shifters & rear deraileur, Easton riser bar, WTB Laser saddle, Thompson seatpost, Raceface Deux crankset, Avid mechanical discs & Ultimate levers.

I'll post completed pics and get a final weight in a couple weeks. I want to savor this build out! Guess my '99 Quazi-Moto is now a backup bike. BTW, anybody looking for an XL Quazi in a few weeks?

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dbabuser said:
See what you can do to find a scale b4 ya start building it. I am seriously wanting a S'moto and wondering what the penalty over my SB would be...
Will do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
somms said:
why'd you go with the switchblade rear? I'll post up my built supermoto with the quasi rear later tonight..
The SB rear is lighter and stiffer than the regular SM rear. Should work just fine for me since I don't plan to run much more than 2.1 inch rear tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
randomsurplus said:
why would the SB be stiffer than the SM rear ?
Something to do with the extra bends and welds in the SM rear. Next time I call Titus I'll ask for more details.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
somms said:
i dont know anyone with a quasi who has ever complained about the chainstay..
it feels plenty stiff to me.
I can't compare my Quasi chainstay to the new hollow boxed SB chainstay, but it is much stiffer than the 2002 SB chainstay I upgraded from. I could flex the SB chainstay a good half an inch by pushing the dropout ends towards each other (when not installed), but the Quasi chainstay barely budges a millimeter.

It also has a lot more tire/mud clearance.

I'm still planning on a SM myself, but I blew my budget on my trip to Europe, so it will be another year for me. But I'll be getting the Quasi rear end and building it as a burly trailbike, coil front and rear. Probably a Manitou 4-way like TrailDude went with. I'd like to get a 1.5 HT if a custom order doesn't add too much cost.

·
Registered
109 Posts
fonseca said:
I can't compare my Quasi chainstay to the new hollow boxed SB chainstay, but it is much stiffer than the 2002 SB chainstay I upgraded from. I could flex the SB chainstay a good half an inch by pushing the dropout ends towards each other (when not installed), but the Quasi chainstay barely budges a millimeter.

It also has a lot more tire/mud clearance.

I'm still planning on a SM myself, but I blew my budget on my trip to Europe, so it will be another year for me. But I'll be getting the Quasi rear end and building it as a burly trailbike, coil front and rear. Probably a Manitou 4-way like TrailDude went with. I'd like to get a 1.5 HT if a custom order doesn't add too much cost.
the quasi has massive clearance. It makes the 2.4 kendas I am running look tiny.

i was thinking about getting a custom 1.5 ht quasi last year but balked at the cost. A z150,666, firefly, that upcoming fox freeride fork, or the maverick duc, are all nice possibilities.

·
Registered
520 Posts
clarkgriswald

Spring on your Manitou seems little soft for a 220 lb rider. Hopefully Titus addressed the problem found on the Quasi running 800 springs or heavier. The space between the rockers is too narrow to run heavy (clydesdale) springs without resorting to a Huffyesque solution using lots of spacers and not sourcing longer bolts. May want to keep an eye on that if you go to a heavier spring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clarkgriswald said:
Spring on your Manitou seems little soft for a 220 lb rider.[
From what I understand so far, the spring rates on the SM are different that the SB or QM. Something to do with a longer stroke. Besides my buddy Alan at Titus is a fellow Clydesdale and recommended this spring rate.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
somms said:
A z150,666, firefly, that upcoming fox freeride fork, or the maverick duc, are all nice possibilities.
True, but I'd still prefer a 1.5 HT even if I ws running a 1.125 fork. Then you get a much stronger HT, bigger headset bearings, and you can use the Evil reducer cups if you want, to really fine-tune the front end height and HTA. But I'm the kind of person that likes lots of adjustment possibilities; probably one reason I'm lusting after a SM of my own with lots of shock, linkage and rear end options.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bear said:
I know the SM has three rockers, which I assume at least three different rates. So there's probably a different one for each for a given rider. At a guess. Not like I really know.
Well I called Titus up today and they said I actually could use something less than the 500#. at my weight. This SM is definitely going to be an interesting bike.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Supermoto frame weight?

I am looking to build up a long-travel trail bike. I am considering the Supermoto FR and the Foes Inferno with a 6 in travel SC fork. The Foes site says the Inferno is 7.7 lbs but the bike shop weighed one at closer to 9.5 lbs. Any idea what the Supermoto FR frame weighs? The Quasimoto is 9.5 lbs, so I'm guessing it's close. I'm trying to see if either of these frames can be built up to run 32-33 lbs or is it out of the question. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yangpei said:
I am looking to build up a long-travel trail bike. I am considering the Supermoto FR and the Foes Inferno with a 6 in travel SC fork. The Foes site says the Inferno is 7.7 lbs but the bike shop weighed one at closer to 9.5 lbs. Any idea what the Supermoto FR frame weighs? The Quasimoto is 9.5 lbs, so I'm guessing it's close. I'm trying to see if either of these frames can be built up to run 32-33 lbs or is it out of the question. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
with a air shock rear and non-DH tires , I am sure you could something in that range. I never weighed the frame before it was built up, but I am guessing my bike, with a z150 and swinger 4-way coil is about 36-37 lbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts