Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own a Marzocchi Super Monster?
And if so what bike can you fit a 300mm travel fork on?

Butch stanchions always make forks look small.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
125 or 250
 

·
Uhhhhh...
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
jonowee said:
Anyone own a Marzocchi Super Monster?
And if so what bike can you fit a 300mm travel fork on?
Butch stanchions always make forks look small.
No, only posers and Bender does, but they can be put on custom karpiels and maybe even Banshee Scream.

-TS
 

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jm. said:
125 or 250
Sorry, not familar with the above.

Besides not fitting properly on almost all production bikes, is 300mm travel pointless.
I think so... because 300mm if one manages to use all the travel, sh!t watch the headtube angle steep up.

I thought Fox DH and 'FR' forks looked crazy with 36mm stanchions but these things have 40mm stanchions. So that's why it looks like it's double the thru-axle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
jonowee said:
Sorry, not familar with the above.

Besides not fitting properly on almost all production bikes, is 300mm travel pointless.
I think so... because 300mm if one manages to use all the travel, sh!t watch the headtube angle steep up.

I thought Fox DH and 'FR' forks looked crazy with 36mm stanchions but these things have 40mm stanchions. So that's why it looks like it's double the thru-axle.
Uh no, the fox fork has 40mm stanchions (the fox freeride fork has 36mm)

300mm would not steepen up a headtube, it would slacken it.

The 250 and 125 I was referring to was cubic inches.
 

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jm. said:
Uh no, the fox fork has 40mm stanchions (the fox freeride fork has 36mm)

300mm would not steepen up a headtube, it would slacken it.

The 250 and 125 I was referring to was cubic inches.
When I say steepen the headtube angle, I mean as the fork compresses through its travel. If you manage to bottom out the fork, imagine the change in the angle and the handling of the bike... scary (to me anyway).

I guess no one on the MTBR forum owns one of these. (or are yet to post a reply.)

Slightly OT, how big is too big for stanchions? What will the future big hit fork be like?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
jonowee said:
When I say steepen the headtube angle, I mean as the fork compresses through its travel. If you manage to bottom out the fork, imagine the change in the angle and the handling of the bike... scary (to me anyway).

I guess no one on the MTBR forum owns one of these. (or are yet to post a reply.)

Slightly OT, how big is too big for stanchions? What will the future big hit fork be like?
i doubt we'll see any forks ever really surpass 40mm. The problem is lubrication, without adaquate lubrication stanchions that big just create a huge amount of stiction (like with hanebrink forks). So as long as we can have proper lubrication to eliminate stiction, there's no set limit, ,but I doubt we'll ever see anything greater than 40mm on a mainstream fork. The fox fork has 40mm stanchions, and it can be stronger and stiffer with these bigger stanchions, and the weight can be actually lower because you'll still retain better strenght and stiffness due to the diameter, but what you sacrifice is resistance to denting and imacts. This is how the new fox DH fork can be sub7lbs, and the old 7" marzocchi Monster T was 9.5lbs. Both would probably fair about the same in a stiffness test, but the 9.5lb monster has way thicker stanchions, lowers, and crown, creating a much more durable fork. The fox DH fork may be good and plenty durable, so we will just have to wait and see. I have my eye on the fox 36.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
jonowee said:
Anyone own a Marzocchi Super Monster?
And if so what bike can you fit a 300mm travel fork on?

Butch stanchions always make forks look small.
300 MM is pretty useless and i think marzocchi just made it that so they could claim the title of longest travel mainstream fork. Its going to make any bike's front end so high and slack that its just useless to do any form of riding. I hear Bender prefers a super T over a super monster anyways. If your going to do extreme freeriding get a super T, monster T, JR T, 888, or a new 66
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top