Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're running three wheelsets with Kenda Karma L3E's and Stans with no problems...including last season's race season. These tires weighed, as usual, less than Kenda stated weight coming in at around 460g.
This week I bought two new ones weighing 417g and 426g -- obviously very light -- lightest I've ever weighed. That's the good news. The bad? They simply will not hold 30 psi with Stan's notubes for more than a few minutes. It was so weird I removed them, replaced the strips with a brand new set and still the same problem. I put the old set back on and they immediately aired up and stayed that way. I then put an old set of Pythons on they immediately aired up and held. I'm a Stan's user from the early days and have never experienced this. Anybody else had this problem? Could Kenda have had a bad run of porous "rubber?" It's not like I can expect Kenda to offer any help given that they aren't designed for this application but the bead feels like a rubber band and a baby could pop them on the rim.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have ALOT of experience with stan's and kenda tires. Some hold air pretty quickly and some take DAYS to get sealed properly. This includes Blue Grooves, Karmas, and Short Trackers. If you take the time and do the procedure like Stan shows on his web site you should be able to get them to work....but it may take several days

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tcov said:
I have ALOT of experience with stan's and kenda tires. Some hold air pretty quickly and some take DAYS to get sealed properly. This includes Blue Grooves, Karmas, and Short Trackers. If you take the time and do the procedure like Stan shows on his web site you should be able to get them to work....but it may take several days
well as mentioned, I've set up a lot of them but have never run into this. They will not even air up long enough to ride around for a few minutes. Also they are leaking profusely around the little rubber thingies that stick out on the sidewalls -- which makes me think they might be a defective run. Regardless, I'll keep trying.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
I have never been as frustrated (with bikes) as I was when I mounted my L3E's. It took me weeks to get the rear tire to stay aired up. I was able to get some rides in during this time but would lose a few psi during the ride. I still can't store the bike on the ground though, the rear tire will go flat within 12 hours.

As much as I like the tires I still haven't decided if I trust them enough to race on.

·
Registered
596 Posts
kenda tires

There is a bunch of info on the wheels/tires forum regarding similar issues. It seems that you need to scrub out the inside of the tires with a scotchbrite or similar to get Stan's to adhere.
FWIW I just tried out some 440 gram conti explorer supersonics. Very light, hold Stan's well and seem to be good tires in the nice conditions that Norcal has at the moment.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Carefull...

I use to run the Conti Supersonics with Stans and it eventually degraded the rubber inside the tire rendering the tire "destroyed". I had the same problem using regular Conti Explorer Pros. I had to switch to Schwalbe tires and have not had anty problems with the tires degrading.

KMan

bootsie_cat said:
There is a bunch of info on the wheels/tires forum regarding similar issues. It seems that you need to scrub out the inside of the tires with a scotchbrite or similar to get Stan's to adhere.
FWIW I just tried out some 440 gram conti explorer supersonics. Very light, hold Stan's well and seem to be good tires in the nice conditions that Norcal has at the moment.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
bootsie_cat said:
I did scuff up the inside of the tire with a scotchbrite pad. I would hate to see how much trouble I would have had with them if I hadn't scuffed them up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the same problem, i.e. old Karma on the rear holds air fine. New one just recently bought has trouble leaking. At the end of the ride yesterday almost flat. It will hold air for awhile, then just go flat. I think it is leaking around the bead though. Because to fix it after it goes flat i need to go through Stan's procedure of laying it on it's side and shake the sealant around. And the weight differerence was similar, old tire weighed 485, new one 440. I

·
Registered
180 Posts
Latex on the bead

With problem Kenda's, I use a small paint brush and put strait latex right on the bead. Some Kenda's I have had problems with, other no problem at all.
This has solved the the problem on the tires that would not hold.

DFH

·
Registered
180 Posts
Were to get latex answer

I get it at TAP plastics. They are probably also located in AZ. Twelve dollars for 32oz. Hobby shops and art supply stores are typically about twice as much, but in some locations thats the only place to find it.

DFH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.