Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this the other day while following a link from cyclingnews.com

M2Racer Headset

Claimed weight for standard version in 39 grams. This appears to be without topcap, starnut, etc., but add that in and it still only weigh roughly 65 gms. Now that whole polymer thing seems a little sketchy for mtb'ing, at least on anything other than a dedicated race bike. Anyone seen it/ tried it?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
beaker said:
I noticed this the other day while following a link from cyclingnews.com

M2Racer Headset

Claimed weight for standard version in 39 grams. This appears to be without topcap, starnut, etc., but add that in and it still only weigh roughly 65 gms. Now that whole polymer thing seems a little sketchy for mtb'ing, at least on anything other than a dedicated race bike. Anyone seen it/ tried it?
picture courtesy of Heinz Wittmann.
he said the thing is soft and doesn't seem to last. but i haven't got any more info. i wouldn't trust such a plastic piece. and it definitely won't last too long either.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
mine came in at 40g (including rubber 'O' rings), the polymer seems like pretty tough stuff, I emailed M2Racer and they said it was fine for MTB use.

[quote="nino']and it definitely won't last too long either[/quote]

hhmm...nino!...you can't say this as a fact, as you have not even held one of these in your hands!! The bearings run on a hardened steel race and it seems very easy to service.

Ty

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
sure...

•Ty• said:
mine came in at 40g (including rubber 'O' rings), the polymer seems like pretty tough stuff, I emailed M2Racer and they said it was fine for MTB use.

hhmm...nino!...you can't say this as a fact, as you have not even held one of these in your hands!! The bearings run on a hardened steel race and it seems very easy to service.

Ty
as i said these were the comments from Heinz Wittmann. i once had a FRM A-set which is just like the M2racer but with Aluminium cups. it is light (lighter than the cartridge bearing C-set) but was a pain in the A$$ in the long run. it has the same steel races and roller bearings...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Only time will tell !!

I will keep you updated with any issues I get with this headset, you may be correct that it may not last as long as a headset made from alloy, then again it could be still working perfectly in 5 years ?

At 39g it was hard to resist ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.