Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a set of these http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/612/Rim-Only-26-x-4-Black/.

You've never seen your Endo's looking so pillowy :D That, and they look bada$$!

However, I'm wondering if anyone else is running these? The spoke holes are spaced rather w i d e l y apart across the rim width. This doesn't allow for much dishing, as the hub flanges are more or less, directly under their respective holes. So, I find the wheel to be sitting rather to the driveside, and I can't move it over. This causes slight aligment issues, and pretty bad chain rub on tire and rim in the granny until I'm about halfway down the cassette. I'd respace the hub towards non drive, but then the rotor gets affected. Thoughts?

I'm also realizing that the SC32 up front has jussst enough clearance for the rim, the tire is a smidge wider, and will likely rub the legs. I'm going to play with it a bit, but I may have to go backwards to the 3" rim instead. I'd run the rigid fork, but I ordered a Pink King 36 hole Maverick 24mm TA hub for these, so I'm kinda tied to keeping the fork in the min. Live, learn and measure more:rolleyes:

Thoughts? Don't know how common these are, so I'll post pics if there's a curious crowd:thumbsup:

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
Re-drill some new holes in that gigantic rim you picked up. You should be able to place holes in between the already existing holes to achieve the dish you're looking for, similar to how the Graceful Fat Sheba is done.

·
16,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScaryJerry said:
Re-drill some new holes in that gigantic rim you picked up. You should be able to place holes in between the already existing holes to achieve the dish you're looking for, similar to how the Graceful Fat Sheba is done.
I like it! Is this theoretical, or do you have knowledge of it's being done? Sounds like the Sheba was done that way, but since I've not seen it, the concept sketches me out. Got any pics or anecdotes? My other concern would be the current holes are dimpled inward towards the hub, it won't be as clean this way. Thanks, good idea for starters....:thumbsup:

3,617 Posts
no constructive input... just dribble (as usual)

however, I have looked at all this kind of stuff
by default of my brothers, really
that is... my brothers live in LA, more specifically right off of Melrose Ave, and Fairfax Ave.
they've been around choppers, of all sorts, bikes and motors.

SoCal is full of choppers (bicycles)
heck... even here in Ventura (visiting my dad), Ventura is where the club house is located for the SoCal chapter of HA (hells angels)

so ya... choppers... even at the Fairgrounds, all the chopper shows (chopper fest)

so ya, you see all that kind of stuff

heck even my brothers were on CMT (Chopper Challenge)

what i'm saying is that there are a ton of chopper stuff.

its another rising facet of bicycles

when it comes to The Pug, with its offset and all...
seems to me the best option is to use an internal gear hub, thereby avoiding the issues of chain rub on the tyre.

in the world of fat tyres... no doubt.. choppers are a spot to keep an eye on.

·
16,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WTB-rider said:
Mikesee is using 100mm rims on his snowbike, not sure of the make, Speedway's I guess :confused:
Yeah, I found out about these from him. If he's using other ones, I'm not aware one way or the other.

Also, I said the holes were dimpled upwards, they aren't, they're just drilled into a ridge in the rim....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pug w/ 100's

To fit the 100's on the pug, you have to drill another set of holes on one side. You cannot center-drill the spoke holes. So you will have all your spokes mounted to one side of the rim ala offset large marge ish. I have the speedway 100 on the front of my pug laced to a king SS hub in a pug 100mm fork that I stretched to 135 (17.5mm each way). My Front Wheel is not offset laced. The Rear is offset drilled, offset laced to fit the pug. I'm on my way outside to take pic's. I'll post soon.

Kevin

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's taken me about a month to take photos and post, but here they are.

The Wider rims (100mm Ft - 80mm Rr) make such a huge difference to the ride. Way more traction on off camber sections and turning as well.

Attachments

·
16,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KmCowham said:
The Wider rims (100mm Ft - 80mm Rr) make such a huge difference to the ride.
Nice bike! :thumbsup:

Any reason for the narrower rear rim? Between your info, and similar thoughts from Mikesee, looks like I'm tearing it down, and doing some drilling. It does feel really nice in the soft though! Thanks for the pics:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Two reasons

I went with the 80mm in the rear for two reasons. First, Speedway didn't have 2 100's in stock and I hadn't heard about the choppers US yet. I already had my rims powdercoated white so I didn't want to spend more money to get anything powdercoated again.

Also at the time of purchase, I didn't think there would be enough clearance between the chain and the tire.

G

·
this is me thinking outloud, and it may be the dumbest thing I've said all day, so here goes...

could you lace the left side spokes into the right side holes and visa-versa? At least there would be some triangulation between the hub flange and the rim...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.