Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some major problems with my Drop off Triple on my Stinky. Found out my second cousin was in the mtb business and raced DH as well as worked at one of my LBS. He took my fork apart and said it was completely trahsed. The rebound blocks were chewed up, it was just metal to metal on rebound which explained the loud ***** noises I heard.
Anyways he sent it to marzocchi and they did a ton of stuff to it. It's not even a Drop Off Triple anymore. I don't have the list of parts they put in there but they said it's the only one of it's kind. It feels so amazingly plush now. Props to marzocchi on awesome service at a very reasonable price.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mxrider489 said:
I had some major problems with my Drop off Triple on my Stinky. Found out my second cousin was in the mtb business and raced DH as well as worked at one of my LBS. He took my fork apart and said it was completely trahsed. The rebound blocks were chewed up, it was just metal to metal on rebound which explained the loud ***** noises I heard.
Anyways he sent it to marzocchi and they did a ton of stuff to it. It's not even a Drop Off Triple anymore. I don't have the list of parts they put in there but they said it's the only one of it's kind. It feels so amazingly plush now. Props to marzocchi on awesome service at a very reasonable price.
thats awsome, now time for that shock..(jk) btw nice yamaha, i want one of thoose WR450fs witht he new YZ frame.

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
freerider167 said:
thats awsome, now time for that shock..(jk) btw nice yamaha, i want one of thoose WR450fs witht he new YZ frame.
Thanks. That's my 05 YZ250F I just got it. trying to get used to teh four stroke since I'm coming off teh two stroke. First race May7 not much time. I'm hoping that yamaha puts the perimeter aluminum frame on the 250F for next year like the Yz's this year.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mxrider489 said:
Thanks. That's my 05 YZ250F I just got it. trying to get used to teh four stroke since I'm coming off teh two stroke. First race May7 not much time. I'm hoping that yamaha puts the perimeter aluminum frame on the 250F for next year like the Yz's this year.
yeah, let me guess, you came off a yz 80 or 85 right? well i have a TTR125L which i want to sell. next year i might buy a WR only if they come out with a new frame like the YZ. Anyways i always like the 4 stroke more than the 2. Don't ask why, i just like the feeling and less maintainance. sweet bikes you have. Fork is sweet too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hola....

good to hear the forks workin betta 4 u now....nice 250f light weight! When u get better u can come chill with us 450 guys : )

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A-team said:
good to hear the forks workin betta 4 u now....nice 250f light weight! When u get better u can come chill with us 450 guys : )
Do you race? I race MX here in New England. NEMA is my organization. New England Motocross Association. My favorite track up here is Southwick. Toughest track on the national circuit and we get to race it. It's so fun, and so hard.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
mxrider489 said:
well i have the same bike as u and setup, and when my fork takes a hit it makes that noise also, i asked around this site and people said it was normal, from what u say it isnt. its a loud clicking noise that sounds like metal is hitting medal sorta right? should i contact marzocchi also?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mxrider489 said:
Do you race? I race MX here in New England. NEMA is my organization. New England Motocross Association. My favorite track up here is Southwick. Toughest track on the national circuit and we get to race it. It's so fun, and so hard.
I wanted to race but didn't have the time to.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
mxrider489 said:
The rebound blocks were chewed up, it was just metal to metal on rebound which explained the loud ***** noises I heard.
huh? theres no 'rebound blocks' (never heard of the word) and theres no metal on metal pieces on the pumping rods to cause clanking. Sounds like aload of BS was piled on and your friend didnt know what the hell he was talking about

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
hey zedro

if its not metal on metal making the clanking noises then what is it? it seems to be happening with my fork also should i call marzocchi?

G

·
austinb89 said:
if its not metal on metal making the clanking noises then what is it? it seems to be happening with my fork also should i call marzocchi?
maybe this is spiking you are thinking of?

It happens with my jr t also.... Its very loud, sounds like explosion... pretty cool ..

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zedro said:
huh? theres no 'rebound blocks' (never heard of the word) and theres no metal on metal pieces on the pumping rods to cause clanking. Sounds like aload of BS was piled on and your friend didnt know what the hell he was talking about
Well first off the parts were so chewed up on rebound it was metal to metal. They were topping out severly. Second off the guy who did it is a semi pro DH racer, and has been a MTB tecnician for years and works on every fork that goes through his shop. he definitely knows what he is talking about especially more than someone like you. Third off that was some pretty awesome BS that was piled on me because somehow it magically fixed my fork.

A new cartridge was also added to one side. Keep in mind it is a one side air one side coil fork.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
mxrider489 said:
he definitely knows what he is talking about especially more than someone like you.

Third off that was some pretty awesome BS that was piled on me because somehow it magically fixed my fork.

A new cartridge was also added to one side. Keep in mind it is a one side air one side coil fork.
lol, how do you know how much i know? i know that you wont find the words "rebound blocks" in any part list or lexicon, or that there are no metal moving parts involved in the SS(V)F damper rods. Theres plenty of things that can go wrong in the fork (low/dirty oil, bad valve washer...), but non-existant parts arent one of them. And if your guy was so good, why did he have to send the fork away? theres nothing about these forks that even need to leave your garage if you know what your doing. Maybe Marz didnt know what rebound blocks were?

And of course it feels better, a HSCV cartridge was added, a little piece of technology that wasent found in your fork before. Its definitly not magic, sometimes a simply oil change solves peoples problems.

I was just trying to warn you that perhaps you trust him a little too much.

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
well, can u explain spiking more to me im not sure whats going rong with my fork i know its not bottoming out or anything, maybe i should just call marzocchi?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
austinb89 said:
well, can u explain spiking more to me im not sure whats going rong with my fork i know its not bottoming out or anything, maybe i should just call marzocchi?
spiking is a hydrolic lock caused by the damper design which doesnt let enough oil flow on high speed hits.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
zedro said:
spiking is a hydrolic lock caused by the damper design which doesnt let enough oil flow on high speed hits.
soo could that be cuasing this clicking noise? if so how do i fix it u seem to know what ur doing here

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
austinb89 said:
soo could that be cuasing this clicking noise? if so how do i fix it u seem to know what ur doing here
minor clicking noise can simply be the springs binding into the stanchions (not a problem), the negative springs floating around, or loose bolts, but frequently its not even related to the fork but rather the foward controls (handle bar, stemm, levers etc) or somewhere in the area, even cable binding or whatever.

Its hard to diagnose these things without seeing the bike in person , using words like clicking, creeking or clunking, because newer or less mechanically inclined riders can be hypersensitive to what can be normal noises, perhaps over-emphasizing the intensity or types of sounds. And it doesnt help that sometimes noises can be very tricky to locate and theres plenty of bad mechanics out there to lend a hand.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
austinb89 said:
All of the information you need is in these forums already, please try to do a search. If your at all mechanically inclined, then you can totally rebuild that fork. People have solved noisy SSV fork problems many times in these threads.

Zedro is right, a oil change can work wonders. I had a buddy that his bomber wouldn't return to full extension and felt terrible. One oil change and BAM, like new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.