Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this is a great super-d (mixture of XC and DH) bike for racing, beginner, so I don't need a 3K bike. I need a good balance of lite and strenght.
What are some diferences between this 2 bikes? other that the extra 0.7 travel. Does the 2have a little better components, but the X2 is stonger?
Does anybody knows their actual weight?
I would think that the 2 climbs better than the X2 and vice-versa for the downhill.
Can both take 4 to 5 ft drops?

Thank you for your help and any other good info you might have.

·
CAPTIN HARDCORE
126 Posts
I have an X1 and it is the shizzz!!! It is 36lbs on the mark. you may want to compare the geo between the 2 because they are very close....top tube/ head angle are different so it will make the bike feel different. Oh, and the X has 160mm in the front where the reign only has 140mm.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I've only watched 4cross I believe and for that either would do the trick. Not sure how much climbing there is in SuperD, but if there's a lot I might evne consider a TranceX. With 5" travel I'm pretty sure it would handle the DH stuff well and climb excellent.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like LyNx says, depends what sort of Super D. Carl Decker won the Sea Otter Super D last year on a Trance X.

Last years Downieville was won on a 6" bike.

I have done 4'+ drop to flat concrete and all but one drop in Whistler on my Reign and it is slightly less than 30lbs.

I would go for the Reign.

Note that there are rumors that the Reign X will get a serious weight reduction for 2010, but sometimes squish is more of a hindrance for short climbing bursts than weight, so it will probably by more sluggish on the ups.

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
I use the Reign X1 for Super D and DH. It's awesome at both. It does really well in the NM and CO Rockies, but I can see wanting something like the Trance X or Reign for Super D out in CA or back east. It is pretty squishy, but you can make up for it in the descents. I work at a Giant dealer, so I've ridden them all. My preference and my personal bike is the Reign X. It's just a really great bike for everything. We've got a customer that has one down around 29 lbs, so you can get them pretty light too. It's all in the setup anyway.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
yetidude said:
I heard this is a great super-d (mixture of XC and DH) bike for racing, beginner, so I don't need a 3K bike. I need a good balance of lite and strenght.
What are some diferences between this 2 bikes? other that the extra 0.7 travel. Does the 2have a little better components, but the X2 is stonger?
Does anybody knows their actual weight?
I would think that the 2 climbs better than the X2 and vice-versa for the downhill.
Can both take 4 to 5 ft drops?

Thank you for your help and any other good info you might have.
yetidude,
I would buy the bike you want/can afford and not worry about a specific Super D racing type bike. The reason I say this is that there are so many variations and interpretations of that discipline that it's just gotten rediculous-XC guys want more climbing/pedaling and the DH'ers want less climbing/pedaling and the quibbling just goes on. Add to that, NORBA is no longer and unless you have some regional/state race series there really isn't going to be much Super D racing going on.

I've shown up at a Super D race on a 6in travel RFX and really needed a light XC hardtail to competitive, then turn around at another race and wish I had a 7in travel bike with double wall DH tires. Someone mentioned Carl Decker racing Super D on his Anthem, which he normally does, but he also raced the Deer Valley NORBA Super D this past year on a Glory DH bike he borrowed. Kind of funny to watch a super skinny guy in a skin suit, XC helmet and goggles on an 8in travel bike with no body armor and I don't think he was expecting the huge change in courses from what he's done previously.
I've been on one course that actually had a drop in it, approx 8-10 feet if you actually missed the transition and landed to flat. 99% of the racers, including the pros, took the line around it anyway and avoiding jumping the thing altogether.

Point of this is that any bike you have will work for that type of racing, especially in the beginner classes. Until someone puts a definitive definition on the sport, you really need a handful of bikes to be uber competitive as the courses are just so varied. In general any decent trail bike is going to be just fine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I raced my RX at the Weaverville, CA super D race last fall and won the open class, just 36 seconds behind the top Pro who was on a Trance X after a 26 minute race which is set up like a super D should be in my opinion. Super steep, loose, rutted stuff on the top into fire road speed dh, then flowy singletrack in the trees, some climbing, then switchbacks and more singletrack and some more flat pedaling and climbing to the finish. Stay seated and this bike pedals extremely well. I've got mine set up at 35lb with a 180mm fork and 50mm stem even.

I plan on racing my anthem at the Sea Otter super D though, no need for the big bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.