Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What race format would you prefer?

• Downhill Hill Race ( same course as last year )

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Super D (longer course w/ some climbs)

Votes: 29 74.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a Question for you

If you had to choose one what Kind of race would you like to do at Paris Mountain

a Short Downhill like Last Years Event?

or a Super D Race starting from the Same spot as the DH course down Sulphur Springs > Mountain Creek to the Amphitheater ?

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I've not been able to ride there yet, so this is an innocent question:

Is there anyway you couldt fit both types of racing into a day/weekend event?

·
Registered
204 Posts
M-U-M said:
I've not been able to ride there yet, so this is an innocent question:

Is there anyway you couldt fit both types of racing into a day/weekend event?
I think we're limited on the number of competitors we can have so that would be one obstacle. The other obstacle is the fact it is the same course for the first part (the DH part). However, super D would be fun because that section of mountain creek in that direction is killer fun!.

Personally, I'll be the guy hanging out on the course trying to keep people from getting killed, so I don't care either way. I think the DH is plenty of work, and the Super D would require more volunteers and certainly close up a lot more of the park.

·
Slow, Fat and Old
105 Posts
Since the downhill is pretty technical, that leaves out schucks like me who like to finish a ride with the same number of body parts as we started. How about a one-lap time trial from the bottom of the road up to the firetower trail, then down Kanuga, around the lake and back up whatever that other trail is called. That would take most people 45 minutes to an hour to finish and open the race up to a lot more folks.

·
2,652 Posts
If they could do that, I'd volunteer just to watch you endo.

:D

Ranger - free popcorn supplied.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since the downhill is pretty technical, that leaves out schucks like me who like to finish a ride with the same number of body parts as we started. How about a one-lap time trial from the bottom of the road up to the firetower trail, then down Kanuga, around the lake and back up whatever that other trail is called. That would take most people 45 minutes to an hour to finish and open the race up to a lot more folks.
That would be cool, but the biggest issue with any event there at the park, is Parking and getting spectators and participants to the top sections of the Park. that parking circle at the top won't handle the 600+ people who came into the park at the last DH race. Can we honestly expect spectators to hike 4 - 5 miles and 1000ft elevation?

Paris has several logistics nightmares:
1. there is just one road that goes through the middle of the park.
2. there is no continuos loop of trail, that means any kind of XC lap race would have to have riders on the road - with vehicle traffic and the Park will not allow us to shut any road down. It's been a struggle to allow them to let us have just one trail for an event.
3. Parking!!!!!! the last DH race we had 89 riders, 20 or so Volunteers and and some 600 or so folks come out to watch, we filled every available lot and overflowed into the Ballfield. this race was bigger than we had expected and was almost too big for the number of volunteers we had.

We would love to do a Big huge race out there, but that place just isn't built for it.

Now when we met with the Park Manager/Ranger we discussed doing something similar to what we did out at Issaqueena a Bike Hash style wild goose chase - Advertise it as a "Group Ride " so that is in the works.... :thumbsup:

I'd Like to see some Six Pack DH's / Super D's going! no fees, just a six pack and do some time trail styled runs "winner takes all or shares up to them" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
brado1 said:
I'd Like to see some Six Pack DH's / Super D's going! no fees, just a six pack and do some time trail styled runs "winner takes all or shares up to them" :thumbsup:
what's that TV show called?? Pinks? the one where they drag race for the pink slips?

homeys can race for bike ownership!

·
2,652 Posts
"We would love to do a Big huge race out there, but that place just isn't built for it."

So... this is one of those "As Seen on TV" polls?

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey Brado,
I agree with you on the logistics. Last year race was about as big as it need to get with the current parking.
Now as far as the courses go, even last year, just talking to groups of Dhers who have ridden Paris, we all agreed that you guys already have a perfect ready made Super D course.
Start at the top of the Dh course and end at the amphitheater.
Awesome course, and a perfect finish area for everybody to hang out in.
I would love to do it.

That said, despite that a Super D race SHOULD bring out more numbers, you will probaly have a bigger turnout with a regular Dh race. That seems to be the case with other venues around here that have tried the same thing.
If I had my pick, I would love to have both, but I know that is pushing things.
If the park was not closed on Saturday, you could have a Super D on Saturday and a DH race on Sunday. But on that I will just wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets filled.:D
Hit me up if I can help you guys any or if you need anymore suggestions.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Same as I posted on RideMonkey:

I completely agree with the parking problems, but it will always be that way ether event Super D or DH. There are reasons I wanted to do the DH over the Super D last year and is way too much to talk about on this Thread. I personally would like to see booth events happen this year on the same weekend. The problem is the Rangers would like to Cap the field at 100 racers again and we would need to open up Saturday for the event. We all need to meet with them on this Brad. Let's set a meeting date and go over things.

It we were to do both on a one day event everyone would only get one run each.

Jeremy is right if we were to do only a Super D (Yes it would be fun), but we may not get as many DHers due to a any half way go XCer could Smoke most DHers on that Super D run even with the crazy DH run in the start.

My vote is stay with the DH race and improve it!!!! It was fun for all and a lot would like to do it again next year. If anything have two different Race weekends for a Super D and then the End of the Year DH race. There is a lot we need to go over before we can say yes to ether one right now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
FCLINDER said:
Same as I posted on RideMonkey:

I completely agree with the parking problems, but it will always be that way ether event Super D or DH. There are reasons I wanted to do the DH over the Super D last year and is way too much to talk about on this Thread. I personally would like to see booth events happen this year on the same weekend. The problem is the Rangers would like to Cap the field at 100 racers again and we would need to open up Saturday for the event. We all need to meet with them on this Brad. Let's set a meeting date and go over things.

It we were to do both on a one day event everyone would only get one run each.

Jeremy is right if we were to do only a Super D (Yes it would be fun), but we may not get as many DHers due to a any half way go XCer could Smoke most DHers on that Super D run even with the crazy DH run in the start.

My vote is stay with the DH race and improve it!!!! It was fun for all and a lot would like to do it again next year. If anything have two different Race weekends for a Super D and then the End of the Year DH race. There is a lot we need to go over before we can say yes to ether one right now.
Call me! PM me! Let's discuss this since we will be pulling the load on this. I plan on racing this year!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Funny, on ridemonkey they all want a DH race! I want both, but it probably won't happen this year. We need to work the kinks out of this one and show the park we can put on a pro event and not have the logistic issues we had next year. This means we need volunteers to step up! We will work on this aspect the most so we can rotate volunteers around so they aren't stuck in the parking lot all day or standing on the course all day.We are trying to get the volunteers fed and give the something for volunteering there time.

With this said, I think we could expand this in the future if we do a great job this year. It's up to us! we have the ability to make this a great event that could pull in some big names to our race.

·
Registered
415 Posts
4000psi said:
Funny, on ridemonkey they all want a DH race! I want both, but it probably won't happen this year. We need to work the kinks out of this one and show the park we can put on a pro event and not have the logistic issues we had next year. This means we need volunteers to step up! We will work on this aspect the most so we can rotate volunteers around so they aren't stuck in the parking lot all day or standing on the course all day.We are trying to get the volunteers fed and give the something for volunteering there time.

With this said, I think we could expand this in the future if we do a great job this year. It's up to us! we have the ability to make this a great event that could pull in some big names to our race.
Well, I gave my opinion earlier in this thread, but if having both is out, and I had to pick.
I would have to go with a Dh race.
The Super D idea is great because you guys already have a perfect course for it ( I rode it all from the top last night in the dark :D )
But even though Super D races SHOULD have the biggest turnout out of all mtb races, it doesn't end up that way. There are a ton of guys riding 5 inch trailbikes in the woods, they could basically just show up and rock out on a Super D course, but for some reason they don't show up for these things.
Having a Dh race would get you guys the biggest turnout.
The other reason is more of a selfish one. We have very few races close by that allows us to use our DH bikes, and the Paris DH, even though it is short, is good for that.
The race last year was a success, so I think it would be better to build on that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.