Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 29" redline monocog. I bought it new and I've been breaking spokes recently. I'm riding on the road the last month because of the rain and i'm breaking about 2 a week on the rear wheel.

Metal fatigue is probably the culprit so I'm gonna relace the rear wheel.

what are the strongest spokes I can get for the wheel?

blessings

Steve

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Straight gauge 14g/2.0mm spokes and brass nipples are a very robust combination. Inexpensive too :thumbsup: While you are in there rebuilding, I would recommend a more robust rim as well. No point in relacing a soft/light duty rim up with stiff spokes. Save yourself a few headaches and pick up a stronger rim. With a good rim, quality spokes/nipples, and a good build you will be amazed at how long a wheel can last ;)

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
True, butted spokes do generate less stress on the spoke bend and head. They do this by stretching and flexing more. For a big rider this flex may or may not be an issue. I prefer straight gauge spokes. A well built wheel will have no issue with straight gauge spokes and it will be stiffer to boot. Since this is for a single speed the stiffness and lack of wind-up is a good thing IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts