Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
I ride a super-8 in DH races, and this is how I see it.

The Super 8 was one of the first big-travel bikes made for heavy freeriding. They are heavy, and have a pretty long wheelbase, which aids them on technical stuff, but does hurt its maneuverability somewhat. They do have lots of travel however, and can be had for pennies on the dollar. I recommend the bike, as it is a simple, very reliable design that can take anything you throw at it, but make sure you have strong legs to deal with the 45-50 pounds the bike weighs with a typical build.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
dom088 said:
Ok i have questions about the Super 8....
is the Super 8 a good freeride bike?? i am a 5'5-5'6.5 what would be a good size????

thanks alot
I tryed few Super8 from diferents friends and I think that is way to heavy for FRing...but if don't mind the extra weight get a small one.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
better off looking at later model Bullits, more reliable structurally, better shock ratio, lighter, parts are still available. The S8 is discontinued, has been for awhile.

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
super 8's are dope, probably the funnest bike i owned. problem is, if and when you break the rear swing arm, you'll have to buy a new bike and rear hub cause SC has no more spare parts. sucks dont it.

the red one was the first year i had it. then i painted it baby blue. soo fun.

Attachments

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
i liked it. i pushed it up porcupine rim trail in Moab and flew down that 12 mile downhill double track. it was epic. also hit the lift access freeride park there in Moab. a fun trip thru Colorado including Silverton Mountain. i only raced it once. it was 54 pounds at one time. i had a 9" travel fork and Avy shock and floating brake. is was awsome and jumped very good. it did pedal bob bretty bad but i didnt care.

like i said, it was bad ass but they stopped making them in like late 2001 or early 02. As much as you might like them, you should look for a different frame.

I sold the super 8 along time ago. my current setup is linked below.

mud racing at Angel Fire Final Descent 03

·
Registered
629 Posts
Super 8's are straight up Playboy! I had an 01 and loved it. Rock solid rig and looks that cold kill.

I actually used mine as a "freeride" bike, but it was a b!tch to climb with, but I still did it and would NOT recommend it. I've puked many a time on climbs with it. If you get one I'd run a 34t ring upfront. 51 pounds is hard to push around.

Only reason I sold it was my shock shuttle got a little screwed and let the shock wiggle around. The threads weren't stripped, but never held tight. Santa no longer makes parts.

Santa Cruz will not give you a V-10 as a crash replacement, but they will cut you a deal on one as crash replacement. I think they offered me a V10 frame for $1000 when I called them for a shock shuttle. Pretty cool since I wasn't even the original owner, but I passed. Sadly, I would personally avoid getting one since parts are no longer available. Unless you can find an 03...and YES, there are some 03's out there. Leftover 02's!

Here is "Tabitha"....holy crap I just jizzed in my pants I miss her SOOOO much!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Thrillkil said:
I heard that if you crack the frame, under SC's warranty they will send you a new V-10 frame as a replacement. Confirm/Deny?
not true, in fact the warranty the S8 fell under was a crash replacement fee for the particular part (swingarm or front end), not warranty. They dont make replaceement parts anymore, so thats that.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
seriously you should look into getting something else. The bullitt is the same bike but not as beefy.....if you want a beefy bike look into the Big Hit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.