Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased last years version of this bike:
??????

It comes with a Suntour XCT, which was better than rigid (over bumps at low speed) then nothing but coming from using Marzocchi, Manitou and Fox, this think is a POS. The Suntour XCT that comes on it only has preload adjustment. There doesn't seem to be any change in the fork between high, medium or low. I'm guessing this is $30-40 fork max. I didn't expect much from a coil sprung bottom of the line fork, but I wasn't going to let it limit me either. So I set a maximum $200 budget.

I ordered the 9mm QR version of this:
Details*- SR SUNTOUR Cycling

2014 15 SR Suntour Epicon XC MTB Fork 26" 100mm Remote Lockout QR 9mm White New | eBay

What is your opinion on this fork? I spent a total of $139 on it and that's the best deal I could find for an air sprung fork with a lockout. It can even be adjusted from 100 mm to 120 mm.

There is a lower model Suntour XCR with air and lockout but that one actually cost more. Not sure why. Haven't heard good reviews of any of Suntour's X-series forks but people seem to like the Epicon and Raidon line. I couldn't find a Raidon for less than $200.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own this fork. I have the 120mm 9mm QR version. My bike came with Rockshox Tora (Coil), I changed it to Manitou R7 Pro, then to this (225lbs). This is an adequate, but make sense fork. Firm Fork, hold air well, gives good feedback (Rebound), lock out is good, and lightweight. So, I'm happy. Expensive kind like Fox or Pike, will have more broad spectrum/tunes, but as those forks been "fitted" I do feel the same response from the fork to accommodate my riding style and weight. My two analogies are these:
1. Buying an Air Jordan collectible shoes vs buying ordinary shoes for everyday activities. Air Jordan is stronger, nice, comfy, etc., but with big money paid, avg folk don't use that shoes like Michael Jordan used it on the court. With regular shoes, it doesn't last that long in comparison, but you can enjoy new brand, new style, and abuse them without making deep hole in your pocket.

2. Driving a Porsche vs Driving Toyota Camry. One has many features (shocks, engine, tune-ability, etc) that surely give an expert driver comfort and maneuverabilty, but to average driver, both cars will get you from point A to point B. In time of service tho, which car going to cost you more?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts