Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Raidon X in to my LBS and they said they cannot get parts for my fork. They tried to service it without new parts.

Its making a popping sound when it compresses. It holds air just fine and does not leak.

Anyone know where I can get parts to fix it?

And based on this what will I need to purchase?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
This is the problem with suntour forks. The higher end suntour forks have decent performance, but after a year, its almost impossible to find parts for. Your fork is a lower end suntour fork, so I wouldnt put any money into it. Save up and just replace it with something that will work better and that you will be able to get parts for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
SR Suntour Warranty Service Center

mikerod87 said:
I took my Raidon X in to my LBS and they said they cannot get parts for my fork. They tried to service it without new parts.

Its making a popping sound when it compresses. It holds air just fine and does not leak.

Anyone know where I can get parts to fix it?

And based on this what will I need to purchase?
Please give Shawn a call at the SR Suntour Warranty Service Center at 360-737-6450. He should be able to help you get the parts you need.

[email protected] Suntour

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doug,
I spoke with Suntour Warranty today and took my bike by the shop for shipment back to Suntour to have it serviced under warranty.

I GREATLY appreciate you standing by your products. I will follow-up in two weeks when I get the bike back. Thank you.
Mike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm finding the same difficulty in procuring replacement parts from SR Suntour that other members here are experiencing.

Back in April 2012, I bought an SR Suntour Epicon SF9 RLD front fork. This past weekend, the rebound cartridge failed after a landing with the lockout accidentally left ON. This is supposed to be handled internally by a blow-off. But instead, the top of the cartridge snapped right at the threads.

I sent my information & pictures to SR Suntour North America. But since I made the purchase online, and the original purchase location is out of the country, SR Suntour is telling me I have to work with that company to get warranty claims. I contacted the seller and they claim they only warranty their parts for 6 months despite SR Suntour's mfg warranty of 2 years. This leaves me basically with a less-than-year-old broken fork. Shame on me for purchasing from an out-of-the-country supplier. However I didn't expect SR Suntour's support to be contingent on where the fork was purchased.

As it turns out, SR Suntour has multiple distribution and support locations around the globe. And the distributor that my fork came from (Taiwan) didn't come "through" the North American distribution of SR Suntour so they didn't feel an obligation to support a product they didn't rightfully get credit for the sale of.

While I get that this might be their perception, this is really an internal SR Suntour issue. This shouldn't be an issue that affects their customer base. Unfortunately it apparently does. The good news is SR Suntour NA is willing to sell the rebound cartridge to me THROUGH a local bike repair shop, but not to me directly, and not under warranty. This option will be cheaper than replacing the fork, but hardly the outcome I, as a customer, would like to have. Although from their standpoint, I'm sure they feel like they are doing me a favor and if I were in their shoes dealing with their internal politics, I might feel the same way.

Bottom line, if you buy SR Suntour products, buy them through a local supplier, not through online suppliers. Otherwise, you are likely to run into issues with warranty claims and after-warranty replacement part support. Despite this oddball failure of which nobody at SR Suntour has ever seen or heard of before, I can't say much negative about the product I purchased. The Epicon is a great fork for the price. The good news is Amazon (US based retailer) sells SR Suntour products for VERY competitive prices giving you some "price-matching" leverage to negotiate price down from retail at your local bike shop.

·
Cow Clicker
2,031 Posts
Update as to why the Amazon forks might not be a good choice:

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-co...your-suntour-fork-830657-22.html#post10550914

"As for the link with the Amazon forks....these forks are well below what we pay from SR Suntour Taiwan and we are working on closing these types of vendors and how they obtain this product. We have obtained some of these forks and have found them to be B unit samples and models that we would not sell aftermarket as they have defects either cosmetically or worse mechanically. These forks are also our lowest end Epicon's and in terms of functionality are no better performing than the Raidon but they are no doubt 300g's lighter."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts