Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Clydes riding this fork? Ive heard suntour has stepped their game up and this is a good fork at a great price. Just wondering if its very Clyde friendly or not. Looking at the 26" model with adjustable travel from 110-150mm

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
I have yet to encounter a SunTour fork designed for anybody outside 1 sigma of media mass - the newer ones are better, the XCR was impressive for what it was, but 120mm of travel intended for somebody in the 160-180lb range is like a 100mm noodle for somebody above 230.

Haven't ridden that one, but just my experience across 7 different SunTours prior.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposedly the raidon and epicon are legit forks vs most of their low end coil spring offerings.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
The Raidon is a legit unit in solo air configuration - but it's the bottom end of quality on those - the bump damping still feels nonexistant, the recoil feels slow at lower pressures and nervous at higher pressures. It sounds dumb to drone on about what another $100 could get you... but the RS Recon Silver and Monarch level stuff is better, and does more than just connect the mounting points to the axles while performing the advertised travel with increasing resistance thanks to being a compressed air vessel.
FWIW I'm 235lb with gear, and these are just my impressions from riding the Raidon equipped version of my current bike, but I do know the reference point on the same frame with a Recon Silver and Monarch R.
I really do want to see what the next generation stuff from Suntour, because that stuff WILL be worth looking at.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info. Money is definitely an issue in the short term. We bought an XL BMC superfox to use as a donor bike for a build on a Santa Cruz Juli for my fiancee. She thinks we are then going to sell the BMC frame but since it will fit me, I'm wanting to keep it. The only way I can justify it to her is if it can be done VERY inexpensively. I can get the epicon for $150-$175 I pretty much have enough drive train parts in the bin to get it rolling.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just scored a recon gold new off eBay for $199. Good call? Looks like the gold is the " higher end" fork

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a Epicon LOD 29er fork. It is by far the best fork I have ever ridden. Great adjustablility and super plush for an air fork. I would definitely recommend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts