Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the much difference between the Suntour X-100 and the XCR-LO. I've been looking at an entry level hardtails, the GT Avalanche 1.0 and 2.0. The Suntour X-100 comes on the Avalanche 1.0 and the XCR-LO comes on the 2.0. I'm leaning towards the 2.0 since its about $150 cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From my experience, the XCR LO isn't too bad. I have one on my '08 Giant Terrago. It seems to work fairly well but I find it a little spongy, flexy and not adjustable enough for my weight (210LB). I'm just about to replace it with a RS Recon (Just arrived today!) However the SR has been fine for trail/XC riding for the past few months. Definitely a better fork than most people give it credit for and even looks more expensive than it actually is, hence why so many £300-£400 bikes have it. Just don't go DH/Dirt Jumping with it. The lockout is a nice touch and works well, but clunks when the wheel leaves the ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a side thought, Not too sure about the X-100, but if you are saving $150 by going for the cheaper bike, perhaps factor in a better fork with the money you save. There are a lot of bargains to be had in the sales. Regarding which bike to go for, it may be worth paying most attention to the other componentry such as the frame, groupset (go for 27-speed) and the brakes (Preferably Hydraulic Discs) since the forks are the most straight-forward thing to replace afterwards.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
That was a supremely pointless post.

Anyhow, I'd go for the upcharge, only if it will get you a RS or something else equivalent. If it keeps you on an SR, even an upgraded one, go for the cheaper one and just upgrade as you go, but don't go too far because then it's like hanging 2k rims on an 88 corolla and the bike still won't be that great due to geometry and other factors.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
That was a supremely pointless post.

Anyhow, I'd go for the upcharge, only if it will get you a RS or something else equivalent. If it keeps you on an SR, even an upgraded one, go for the cheaper one and just upgrade as you go, but don't go too far because then it's like hanging 2k rims on an 88 corolla and the bike still won't be that great due to geometry and other factors.
What post?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Trouble is that the Rockshox in that price range is the Dart, which is about the same in terms of performance and its also heavier than the SR which comes in at 2.2kg. Granted that its probably more serviceable but you'd need to go for at least a Tora or a Marzocchi MX Pro to consider it an improvement.

Not too sure there is a real downside to upgrading to the best fork you can afford especially if you are looking to move up the ladder. By getting a nice fork and installing it on a lower spec bike just means that next time you come to trade up to a better bike, you already own a decent fork.

The Suntour forks are not that bad anymore though, and I'm sure either one will be fine for light riding. I think most people are put off by the past offerings, the catalogue bike image and name 'Suntour' which sounds like a travel-agents.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I pick up the Avalanche it will be used for light riding. I think I'm leaning towards the Avalanche 2.0 and save the $150. By what I can tell the Avalanche 1.0 and 2.0 have identical frames. The 1.0 does come with hydraulic discs (versus mechanical on the 2.0), but I figure I can upgrade those relative cheaply. I also plan to move parts over from my FS bike ('08 stumpjumper fsr comp) as I upgrade parts on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.