Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to replace the upper jockey wheel on a mountech der? It has that crazy looking upper jockey wheel with the monster spring in it. Does anyone still make or stock parts? I just picked up a 1983 Stumpjumper with original ders still intact but in need of some TLC.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sort of the same problem.

I have the same bike and the same problem as far as the rear derailleur goes, but mine is a spring issue. Those must be awfully crappy since it sounds like they fall apart easily. I switched out the shifters and derailleurs for Shimano Deer Head until I find a Mountech replacement. I did see a NOS one on ebay a few months ago but price tag was more than I was willing to pay at the time, should have pulled the trigger I guess.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mechagouki said:
Sadly the Mountech rear derailleur (whilst innovative) was plagued with reliability issues and was one of several missteps that lead to Suntour's demise (and Shimano's mass market monopoly).

A very good article about Suntour can be found here: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm
I read the article on Sun set for SunTour. It didn't really go into repair though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts