Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for info on this trail. Me and some bro's want to give a shot this weekend.

Where does it start? If anyone has any directions and an idea what to expect, it would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff :D

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
spocksbeard said:
Hey all, looking for info on this trail. Me and some bro's want to give a shot this weekend.

Where does it start? If anyone has any directions and an idea what to expect, it would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff :D
I assume you mean the Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, in the McDowell Mtns.

Check the post I put up in the "Visitors..." sticky at the top of the forum. That should answer a bunch of your questions.

To get to it, park at the 128th St. trailhead (see sticky) and head up Ringtail, which is the singletrack you access immediately west of the parking pull-off. Go about 1/2 miles and you'll hit the junction with Sunrise. Go right and climb away... (Hint: The first saddle you see/come to after the switchbacks is NOT the top)

If you go down to the east into Hidden Hills and the Sunrise Trailhead, you'll come out at 144th St. and Via Linda. Follow the admittedly boring trail that runs on the south side of Via Linda down to 136th St., then follow Via Linda to 128th St. and head back up to your car.

BTW, from the Ringtail/Sunrise juncture as noted above, you can continue straight on Ringtail to access the Lost Dog Wash trail and lots of other riding before/after you hit Sunrise. (Point to note: As you continue on Ringtail, you will cross a rocky doubletrack. That is known as Brain's Wild Ride. If you break off right and follow that, the first part is rocky and hard, but it will reconnect with Lost Dog Wash up near the Taliesin Overlook)

Have fun and post up.

Waltaz

P.S. - Added this to the Lost Dog/Sunrise post in the Visitors sticky...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sunset Trail - McDowells

Sunset is the name of the trail that Walt makes to the fridge while watching the O'Reilley Factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a pretty beefy climb! How does it compare to the Mormon climb on SM? It looks just as long but a little smoother. Looks like great views also!

Jeff

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
spocksbeard said:
Looks like a pretty beefy climb! How does it compare to the Mormon climb on SM? It looks just as long but a little smoother. Looks like great views also!

Jeff
From the Ringtail/Sunrise juncture, just under 1000 feet of climbing in 1.7 miles. Takes 25 - 35 minutes of just about ALL up. All rideable, with no technical obstacles other than a sharp switchback or two. Nice singletrack the whole way. Basically, how long can you keep going?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts