Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
If it is a good ski season and they make enough money, they will probably tell us to go pound sand like they did this past summer. If they don't make enough money then they will want ours, I am not sure if I can do that however. I have never been to Sunrise, and I do want to go, but if they just use us for our money then I am not interested in going up there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
If it is a good ski season and they make enough money, they will probably tell us to go pound sand like they did this past summer. If they don't make enough money then they will want ours, I am not sure if I can do that however. I have never been to Sunrise, and I do want to go, but if they just use us for our money then I am not interested in going up there.
No offense, Speedfreek, but other than our money what else do the Sunrise indians want from us? It's kind of like us and the snowbirds. We pretty much tolerate them for the 6-billion plus they bring to our Valley.

Tiny

·
1,620 Posts
justjumped said:
No offense, Speedfreek, but other than our money what else do the Sunrise indians want from us? It's kind of like us and the snowbirds. We pretty much tolerate them for the 6-billion plus they bring to our Valley.

Tiny
None taken.

That is my point though, all they want IS our money or though it it seems. They make commitments and then blow them off, for example the DH race that Cactus Bike was going to put on this past summer. They decided that they didn't need the money, and blew off everyone. I for one don't like to be treated like crap, and I have no intentions of going some place where I may be treated as such.

The snowbird example doesn't work, sorry. We don't exactly ask them to come here, yes their money does help, but we don't really have a choice on wether they come here or not, and we can't really do anything to cause them to not want to come here legaly that is.

G

·
Chances are, if they do re-open, it wont be until 2010 at least. Then there is the issue of what shape the trails would even be in at that point and if it would be even worth fixing.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
None taken.

That is my point though, all they want IS our money or though it it seems. They make commitments and then blow them off, for example the DH race that Cactus Bike was going to put on this past summer. They decided that they didn't need the money, and blew off everyone. I for one don't like to be treated like crap, and I have no intentions of going some place where I may be treated as such.

The snowbird example doesn't work, sorry. We don't exactly ask them to come here, yes their money does help, but we don't really have a choice on wether they come here or not, and we can't really do anything to cause them to not want to come here legaly that is.
Whaaa, already.

Get bent at somebody else for using their land the way they want. They own it and will do as they please with their land in the great land of capitalism.

How about the city of Phoenix for not building a lift and more DH runs on SoMo. Why don't you moan about "them" for not caving to the DH MTB crowd. Makes about as much sense.

Gee, you just want to ride downhill anywhere. The nerve!

There are already developing options out that way and in between.

·
Registered
352 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
If it is a good ski season and they make enough money, they will probably tell us to go pound sand like they did this past summer.
I think that was just a rumor. I was actually under the impression that the tribe was financially overextended and couldn't afford to open the resort for the summer. I don't think small time bike parks make that much money. Don't get me wrong, I was as bummed as everyone else.

·
1,620 Posts
SunDog said:
Whaaa, already.

Get bent at somebody else for using their land the way they want. They own it and will do as they please with their land in the great land of capitalism.

How about the city of Phoenix for not building a lift and more DH runs on SoMo. Why don't you moan about "them" for not caving to the DH MTB crowd. Makes about as much sense.

Gee, you just want to ride downhill anywhere. The nerve!

There are already developing options out that way and in between.
Hold up a minute here, I am not BENT at them for using their land the way they want. I don't race or really ride DH for that matter, I was looking forward to going up to Sunrise this past summer because I have heard that they have a lot of singletrack and I wanted to ride it UP and DOWN! I also wanted to ride in trees and grass!

The issue that I have with Sunrise (and it is based on the info that I have read and taken with a grain of salt mind you) is that they are very flaky when it comes to opening up the resort to bikes. This past summer Cactus had made arangements with them to hold a DH race (no I was not going to race) and they backed out at the last minnute and kinda in a way screwed Cactus Bike and caused them a nice headache. The way I see that is they made a promise, and then backed out at the last minute, and I don't like that furthermore I don't think that this is the first time they have dome something like this.

G

·
AzSpeedfreek said:
Hold up a minute here, I am not BENT at them for using their land the way they want. I don't race or really ride DH for that matter, I was looking forward to going up to Sunrise this past summer because I have heard that they have a lot of singletrack and I wanted to ride it UP and DOWN! I also wanted to ride in trees and grass!

The issue that I have with Sunrise (and it is based on the info that I have read and taken with a grain of salt mind you) is that they are very flaky when it comes to opening up the resort to bikes. This past summer Cactus had made arangements with them to hold a DH race (no I was not going to race) and they backed out at the last minnute and kinda in a way screwed Cactus Bike and caused them a nice headache. The way I see that is they made a promise, and then backed out at the last minute, and I don't like that furthermore I don't think that this is the first time they have dome something like this.
This is true. They backed out 3 days before they were scheduled to open. It was a tribal decision, not a land management issue. The land manager up there was all ready to work with the bikers last summer to improve the place and didn't find out until the same day that Cactus found out it wasn't going to happen.

I think its more of a financial issue than it is a issue with bikes being on the hill. Rumor has it that a 3rd party may be working to buy the resort part of the mountain away from the tribe and just leasing the land from them.

At this point though, that is just a rumor and an unsubstantiated one at that, so take it with a grain of salt. In the meantime though, its full steam ahead on Candy Mtn once the snow's gone up there:thumbsup:

·
The .05 percent
1,179 Posts
I really don't give 2 S$%TS if sunrise is open or not. They screwed some good people who had made plans to really improve the quality of riding there for all. I'll stick around Flag, we got the best trails around, just need a better shutttle road.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
pinetop/lakeside has some really legit singletrack if you're just looking to get your pedal on. check out the white mountain single track map someplace on here. but now it's super legit with the addition of our new nirvana, candyland, it's so great you can give sunrise the finger while your on top. I'm looking forward to some serious shredding this summer just up the road from sunrise. I've hit a few dh parks, northstar, keystone, etc. and candy is just as dandy if not more because it has free camping and no lift ticket to buy, u just need a shuttle truck. it doesn't have an a-line, money, or live wire style trail just yet, but give it a little time and I'm sure sumthing will sprout up.

·
suvlako
543 Posts
We are all to blame

As long as we are pointing fingers, I'll jump in... Put yourselves in the shoes of the tribe and SSR. Would you pay 10 workers wages, insurance, taxes and other costs associated with running a business to have 10 bikers use the mountain and is it any wonder why they said no to us? Many people took that place for granted and never used it or went once a summer and lets face it, 12 bucks for a lift ticket!!!??? I would pay 2-3 times that to go ride there. I had planned on spending every weekend up there. and I even went out and bought a tent and all the fixins and then WAMMO!!

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when we(the bike community) pitched or groveled to the tribe to keep it open. There needs to be a community effort led by people with some business sense and/or acumen to put together a proposal of why it is in there best interest to open the park to mountain bikers. No offense but bike shop employees are not business men(to be fair, I am a business man that likes to mountain bike but make no claims of being a MTBR). The only guy I know who can out negotiate me is nannerb!;)

Anyway, I for one am praying for an aweful year of snow to "motivate" them to open the mountain to us, but I am not very confident that this will happen. I would also like to go on the record and say, should the need for a business proposal or support of any kind be needed to help, I am in!!

·
I have new balls
135 Posts
suvlako said:
. No offense but bike shop employees are not business men(to be fair, I am a business man that likes to mountain bike but make no claims of being a MTBR;)
I guess you don't know anything about brain, it shows,:nono:

He's up there with his family for ski vacation and might get a little good news, thats all I'm saying.:rolleyes:

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I doubt Sunrise will open this year to MTB and I almost could care less they made a serious boneheaded move this year and many many people will remember that. I hope one of the Colorado resorts buys Sunrise resort as I know they will get the ball rolling and it will spread thru the state. You say why Colorado? Well I am a native and Colorado has the most lift assited parks in the country.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
suvlako said:
As long as we are pointing fingers, I'll jump in... Put yourselves in the shoes of the tribe and SSR. Would you pay 10 workers wages, insurance, taxes and other costs associated with running a business to have 10 bikers use the mountain and is it any wonder why they said no to us? Many people took that place for granted and never used it or went once a summer and lets face it, 12 bucks for a lift ticket!!!??? I would pay 2-3 times that to go ride there. I had planned on spending every weekend up there. and I even went out and bought a tent and all the fixins and then WAMMO!!

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when we(the bike community) pitched or groveled to the tribe to keep it open. There needs to be a community effort led by people with some business sense and/or acumen to put together a proposal of why it is in there best interest to open the park to mountain bikers. No offense but bike shop employees are not business men(to be fair, I am a business man that likes to mountain bike but make no claims of being a MTBR). The only guy I know who can out negotiate me is nannerb!;)

Anyway, I for one am praying for an aweful year of snow to "motivate" them to open the mountain to us, but I am not very confident that this will happen. I would also like to go on the record and say, should the need for a business proposal or support of any kind be needed to help, I am in!!
It was a lot more than 10 bikers. And there were also hikers, with families...lots of them. And lift tickets were $18, not $12.

Mountain bikers put in a LOT of work up there, all of it voluntarily to keep that place open. They cut their own fun short to work on trails and usually ended up so beat up by it that they had to bail on riding that day.

Don't jump to the conclusion that the DH/FR scene is full of unmotivated slackers. Most of them work much, much harder than you realize.

This isn't an attack on you, I just wanted to address some of the things you said. Its good to see that you are volunteering to help! That's awesome! :thumbsup:

But, honestly, after the tribe bailed on the Cactus Race, many riders aren't interested in giving them any money, especially since there are now trails built that are A) more fun, B) easier to work on and C) much, much cheaper to ride.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Candy Mountain had more of the shiz in one single jump than Sunrise had in the entire hill!!!! Why is that ???? well maybe because the guys that built allot of Sunrise had full reign to do what ever the hell they wanted (their way) without a chief nagging over their shoulder.

Amen to Candy this coming year and Sixty / Kavu thanks for keeping it real out there!!

P.s. Anyone seen dooo or is sponsored now and on his way to racing Sam Hill one day?

Peace!

:thumbsup:

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
markskee said:
Candy Mountain had more of the shiz in one single jump than Sunrise had in the entire hill!!!! Why is that ???? well maybe because the guys that built allot of Sunrise had full reign to do what ever the hell they wanted (their way) without a chief nagging over their shoulder.

Amen to Candy this coming year and Sixty / Kavu thanks for keeping it real out there!!

P.s. Anyone seen dooo or is sponsored now and on his way to racing Sam Hill one day?

Peace!

:thumbsup:
+1 for AZ Candy!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Markskee, why are still roaming the AZ threads? Shouldn't you be on the SoCal thread talking about what outfit your going to use while walking your bike down rocky sections of the trail??? :skep:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.