Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never been on the Sunrise trail in the Scottsdale Sunrise land truxt. Looked at a topo map of the area and wheww!! About 1350' altitude gain in a little over 3 mi. Anyone who has biked this trail (geared or SS) would a 32 x 20 or 32 x 22 be enough for survival ( I don't mind hike a bike for short periods)?? Thanks, j
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
jennytalia said:
Have never been on the Sunrise trail in the Scottsdale Sunrise land truxt. Looked at a topo map of the area and wheww!! About 1350' altitude gain in a little over 3 mi. Anyone who has biked this trail (geared or SS) would a 32 x 20 or 32 x 22 be enough for survival ( I don't mind hike a bike for short periods)?? Thanks, j
Jenny - I've been up it twice on my SS running 32:18 and it is a real bee-itch. Definitely can't come close to cleaning it. Try 32:22 initially.

I've been up it a half-dozen times on my gearie and basically just try to slowly spin my way up in the granny and big cog, which I think would be 22:34. Still can't make it all the way without a stop or three. Combination of fatigue and a couple tough spots (sharp switchbacks going up; steep S-section later on). But others have cleaned it and it is (theoretically) doable.

All of the above assumes climbing from the west. Climbing from the east (the new trailhead at 144th St. and Via Linda) is too steep and loose the last 1/2 mile to be any fun. Fun going down that way, though. But fun going down either way.

Go for it on the SS - great challenge. Post up when you're going and I'll join if I can - I live near there.

Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
I guess it depends on the rider, seems a little spinny for me...I never ran a anything bigger then an 18t when running a 32 up front. I climb Mt. Lemmon, which is a road to the trails here in Tucson. It is something like 2600 in 5.5 miles and I ran that in 32/16 (2:1) without any problems. During the Soul Ride I ran 32/18 (1.78:1) and felt alright (which was a butt load of climbing)

One thing about gear ratio's is figuring out what works best for you then stick to it. If your running a Free Wheel that can be a bit frustrating switching Free Wheels off and on all the time. When I was using a Free Wheel, I just found my middle ground and left it on till the death of the hub. I am lazy and don't like to maintain my bike:)

Here is a break down of running a 32t chainring:
16- 2 : 1
18- 1.78 : 1
19- 1.68 : 1
20- 1.60 : 1
22- 1.45 : 1

So, when can some of us here in Tukson come up and ride with some of you SSers and other folk. Been wanting to get up there before its to hot...hmmm, do i procrastinate
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
scanjok said:
So, when can some of us here in Tukson come up and ride with some of you SSers and other folk. Been wanting to get up there before its to hot...hmmm, do i procrastinate
Only when you're ready for another 40 hands contest and some serious lung capacity building
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
scanjok said:
I guess it depends on the rider, seems a little spinny for me...
Well, I'm not a hardcore racer-type, but I'm in pretty good shape and just like to ride alot. I have been riding the SS about 75% of the time since I built it up in Dec. - it has really helped my strength. But I will tell you - Sunrise will kick your ass on a SS - whether you make it up or not. BTW, IBIKEAZ (Scott) does pretty well on it on his Moots 29'er SS. I think he runs 34:20, which is not the same as 34:20 on a 26'er.

scanjok said:
One thing about gear ratio's is figuring out what works best for you then stick to it.
I just stick with 32:18 - a little spinny sometimes, but for the most part, it's a nice compromise considering the variety of terrain. I think 2:1 would be too tall day in and day out. And I do not want to keep changing it, though my rear hub (Surly New) is threaded on both sides and I could easily thread another cog on there and flip the wheel around as needed.

scanjok said:
So, when can some of us here in Tukson come up and ride with some of you SSers and other folk. Been wanting to get up there before its to hot...hmmm, do i procrastinate
Let us know. We can do the Lost Dog/Sunrise SS epic that I've been wanting to link together. And/or other stuff.

Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Done with 40hand contest and the other thing for a while.
I just talked to my bud and we are going to try to make it up next Friday.We know someone there who lives near estrella. I'll keep it posted, so if anyone wants to ride with some rivals they will have their chance ;)
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
I wuz kidding - no way I could hang but this Tucson expat will ride so shout out when it gets closer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
I ran 34:20 on my 29er, last time. Thats very similar to 34:18 on a 26er. I did alright, however the next time I should do better now that I am more familiar with the trail.

waltaz said:
Well, I'm not a hardcore racer-type, but I'm in pretty good shape and just like to ride alot. I have been riding the SS about 75% of the time since I built it up in Dec. - it has really helped my strength. But I will tell you - Sunrise will kick your ass on a SS - whether you make it up or not. BTW, IBIKEAZ (Scott) does pretty well on it on his Moots 29'er SS. I think he runs 34:20, which is not the same as 34:20 on a 26'er.

I just stick with 32:18 - a little spinny sometimes, but for the most part, it's a nice compromise considering the variety of terrain. I think 2:1 would be too tall day in and day out. And I do not want to keep changing it, though my rear hub (Surly New) is threaded on both sides and I could easily thread another cog on there and flip the wheel around as needed.

Let us know. We can do the Lost Dog/Sunrise SS epic that I've been wanting to link together. And/or other stuff.

Walt
 

·
Flight Junkie
Joined
·
832 Posts
32x20

I ride a 32x20 on a 29er (equivelant to a 32x18 on a 26er). There are some walking sections for sure. Just enjoy it now matter how far you make it. Walt I could be up for your epic on Sunday. Scott
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top