Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a 1x10 setup with a Sunrace MS3 11-40 cassette, XT M8000 RD, AB Oval chainring and 2 KMC chains in rotation every 500 km (just trying out the method).
Currently at 4000 km each chain and they're barely starting to feel lose and clunky. Expect them to reach 5000 pretty easily.
So the quality of KMC seems just fine, but I'd like to try to save some money next, and the LBS has Sunrace 10s chains for stupid cheap (roughly half of KMC's price, and about 2/3 of SRAM).

I've been using the x10.93. I'd be getting the basic one from Sunrace as well, CN10A I think. If I end up with SRAM i'll get the PC 1050.
All of these with missing links of course.

Any dark stories regarding Sunrace chains? The cassette has been absolutely flawless, so I see no reasons to distrust them. I just didn't know they made chains until yesterday :D , so I don't know if that's their weak spot or something.
I'll be using an MX3 11-46 this time, so maybe shifting quality to that big ass cog should be a concern?...

Any experiences? Thanks in advance.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
I haven't used their chain, their cassettes are great though, but in briefly searching there are a number of reviews stating bend pins and links. Personally, I would stick with KMC until there are more reviews of this unless you want to test for everyone else. I usually buy my KMC chains on ebay and they generally run about $17 or $18.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Honduras so online shopping for such small parts actually ends up being more costly, for chains I stick with my LBS.

Well, screw it, I'll try them anyway. Perhaps most of those failures are just bad installation, so I'll just make sure to do it properly, and I'm pretty smooth on the drivetrain so it shouldn't suffer any more than the KMCs.
Btw, how good are those KMC missing links? I have been constantly taking them off and putting them on again, like 8 times each, and they just keep going. I just can't imagine how the SRAM ones are only for 1 use and then they become a weak spot since they look pretty much identical. I'll definitely use a KMC one for the Sunrace chain and I'll be pretty sure that's not gonna be the weak spot.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.