Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my old 11 speed XT with the CSMX8 11-46T. $44 at thebikesmiths.com vs. $65 at Jenson. Basically the same performance as XT but without that stupid jump to the lowest gear.

Also picked up a 9 speed wide range 11-40T for $24 and a NW chainring for $16. Free priority mail shipping. $40 to convert my son's 3x9 to 1x9.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I put a wolftooth Goatlink to make a mid cage 10sp xtr der work with an 11-40 10sp Sunrace on my kids race bike, it has worked great for 8 months so far. That's what I would use if I were to convert my 'B' race bike to 1x9 (which I am tempted to do, moreso with that 11-40 9 for $24...).

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I'm still seeing $62 for 11/46 MX8, I checked the day it this thread was created as well; is there a discount code?
Same here.
Bikesmiths often has some crazy pricing....I don't know whether it's a error or they do the floating price like Amazon( where a item is priced very low for a short period...so you better buy it right away)
And they usually have the lowest price on the thumb nail in their store, but when you click the size you need, the price goes up.(It's still $44 for the 11-40 cassette)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here.
Bikesmiths often has some crazy pricing....I don't know whether it's a error or they do the floating price like Amazon( where a item is priced very low for a short period...so you better buy it right away)
And they usually have the lowest price on the thumb nail in their store, but when you click the size you need, the price goes up.(It's still $44 for the 11-40 cassette)
Chiming in here... now $23

https://www.thebikesmiths.com/collections/cassettes-all/products/csm990

·
It's all ball bearings
223 Posts
Just ordered the Sunrace 9 speed cassette last night from bikesmith for 23.90, best deal I could find by a good amount. Looking forward to this 1x9 conversion to revive an old bike and have plenty of range at minimum cost! thanks for the tip!

·
Uncle
4,388 Posts
I received the 9spd 11x40 also, great price. After doing a bit of research, I think I'm due for a bit more. I've been tied to Shimano out of convenience for many years but realized there's probably not a great Shimano derailleur to use with a Shimano my various 9spd shifters, with such a wide range - and certainly not one with a clutch.

Funny, I had an X9 gripshift & rear mech combo up until just a month ago, and donated it :/ Any recommendations?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.