·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,137 Posts
wish it came with 42/46/50 low end...

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
wish it came with 42/46/50 low end...
11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42 and 50T.

Something else is going to give then. When you go to 50t there are going to be larger gaps. This cassette is not for everyone, but at least Sunrace is giving us some options. 11-40, 11-42, 11-46, and now 11-50.

Reactions: Stalkerfiveo

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,137 Posts
I was thinking I will try it with a 34 T CR, but 34/42 is too tall for most climbing around here, which would force me into the 50 more than (I think) I would like.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So will my SRAM X01 RD be compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
So will my SRAM X01 RD be compatible?

I was actually thinking, that since the Eagle stuff is X-Actuation, just like the 11-speed MTB kit from SRAM, wouldn't an Eagle derailleur work with 11-speed cassette and 11-speed SRAM MTB shifter?

-Ed

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was actually thinking, that since the Eagle stuff is X-Actuation, just like the 11-speed MTB kit from SRAM, wouldn't an Eagle derailleur work with 11-speed cassette and 11-speed SRAM MTB shifter?

-Ed
Yep sorry I should have clarified, will my 11 speed X01 RD work?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I went ahead and bought one off ebay. First ride on it today. Shifts well with m8000 and a wolf tooth link. Slight delay between 42&50 but not too bad.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,546 Posts
Yep sorry I should have clarified, will my 11 speed X01 RD work?

That's what I want to know, too.

Will a XX1 or XO1, non-Eagle, 11 speed RD handle an 11-50?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,546 Posts
Yeah, I sent the Garbaruk guys an email about their cassette a long time ago, and they told me I'd need their new cage, too. No new info on the cage for a while now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you guys think an M8000 Long Cage work with the 11-50s?

·
Registered
251 Posts
So the Garabuk or Shark cage would be required?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,546 Posts
In a little while one will not be able to use anything else but stupidly heavy wide-range cassettes: 526 grams! More than a pound for a cassette, for a drive train that is heavier than a dual by a chunk!
I'd get a Garbaruk. Twice the cost, just under 60% of the weight.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not certain on the weight it adds, but I have been very happy with my 11 spd XT setup.

Picked up a new XT build kit for a good price, the rear D was a direct mount so I needed to pick up the knuckle to connect to hanger, found someone locally that was selling a 11 spd Goat Link, so that got added on.

94 BCD XT cranks (175mm), with 32t cog, using an 11-42 cassette, picked up the OneUp 50t Shark kit (50t cog, with cage arms and 18t cog (replacing 17t + 19t). Yes, you have to take your rear d apart to change the cage arms, but it is pretty easy to do.

Shifting into 50 takes a little longer than other shifts, but is still good and smooth. I am climbing a lot of stuff in the 2nd and 3rd gear (42t & 37T) with the 32 front and when I need to rest and spin the 50t is a great bail-out.

Of course it could be lighter, but the simplicity of the system, no dropped chains, super quiet and reasonably cheap is worth the extra bit of weight as compared to the SRAM Eagle 12 speed cost.

I mention the OneUp stuff as I believe the big difference on simply going to a 11-50 cassette with a stock Shimano 11 spd rear D is that the amount of tension on derailleur by cranking in the b-tension screw puts a lot of load on the derailleur. The One up cage arms, and perhaps the goat link, allow the 50t cog to be used with pretty much normal b-tension settings.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In a little while one will not be able to use anything else but stupidly heavy wide-range cassettes: 526 grams! More than a pound for a cassette, for a drive train that is heavier than a dual by a chunk!
You really think so? If this cassette is 520 grams, but a common 2x 11-36 cassette is ~200 or more, you're at a difference of ~320 grams even if you have a really nice lightweight 11-36 cassette. An X9 (fairly common) front shifter alone is 240 grams, so now you are at an offset of 80 grams. You telling me a front derailleur, cables and 24t inner chain ring is less than 80 grams? Even if they were, it still doesn't support the big difference you are claiming. I won't even factor in the fact that many 2x11 systems are still using 11-42 cassettes.

If anything, even with this brick of a cassette, the 1x should still be equal to. Or marginally lighter.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts