Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking around for sunglasses and had a few questions. Do polarized lenses really do much good? What are some good frames that aren't just going to slip off my face when I start sweating and can get a dropped a few times without falling apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a firm believer of polarized. I fished for four years and wore costa del mar triple tails. Have owned two pairs since then. Although they may not be needed for biking, I still wear them. All you need is a good croakie to tighten them up and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've heard concerns about identifying oil slicks on the road from motorcyclist but I guess it's not an issue with cyclist, but perhaps polarized helps you see glass better?

·
turtles make me hot
11,398 Posts
I ride with a pair of prescription Wiley X Bricks. They're polarized and they stay put awesome, sweat and all. They wrap around slightly and offer great protection from foliage hangin' on the trail, sand and stones kicked up by my dog, bugs... Whatever. I also have a pair with clear lenses I wear when I ride at night.
Wiley's Climate Control line is designed for motorcycle riding, so mountain biking is easy for these.
http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pr...ityCode=MOTORCYCLE&SeriesCode=CLIMATE_CONTROL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jawbones!

I have had multiple pairs of glasses, from Rudy Project, other Oakleys, Performance Bike, Generic, Smith... After an accident where I got hit, with some of the insurance I bit the $$$ bullet and bought some Oakley Jawbones, and they are without a doubt, the best glasses I've ever had. In 30mph cross winds, my eyes were protected. Blazing sun, no problem, night: I switch out to the included clear lenses in about 10 seconds, and I have no fear of bugs or debris. If you can afford it, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have had multiple pairs of glasses, from Rudy Project, other Oakleys, Performance Bike, Generic, Smith... After an accident where I got hit, with some of the insurance I bit the $$$ bullet and bought some Oakley Jawbones, and they are without a doubt, the best glasses I've ever had. In 30mph cross winds, my eyes were protected. Blazing sun, no problem, night: I switch out to the included clear lenses in about 10 seconds, and I have no fear of bugs or debris. If you can afford it, you will not regret it.
I wear oakly radar pitch with iridium blk polarized lens. Stays put without every slipping. full coverage around eyes so no wind doest dry out my contacts but is still breathable so it doesnt fog up.

only downside is I have long eyelashes and the radar sit close to your eye so mine smudges all the time. I dont think most have this problem.

Great pair of shades for all sporting activities.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
+1 for the Jawbone. I like mine it works well especially if you sweat a lot. Polarized lens? It's great for trail but you can't really see your computer, it gets fuzzy sometimes.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I try to find Nike glasses on sale. Right now I have a pair of Veer. They have a soft rubber/silicon nose piece and rubber/silicon on the ears, so they don't move. The lenses are also removable - so when you scratch them up, they are easy to replace.
You can usually get the glasses for $30-$50 if you watch for a sale or visit an outlet store. Mine came with two pair of lenses.
When I catch the lenses on sale I usually grab a few spares.
Polarized is nice, but totally unnecessary for biking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So when looking around I found some tifosi brand glasses that seemed fairly nice and a good price and was hoping that I could get some people to give me some feed back on the brand. I mean do they produce good frames or are the reasonably priced for a reason?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ride with native Half Jackets, Great glasses with a great warranty on loss and damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wiley-X is really big in the US, due to their contracts with the military. Other than that Wiley-x is really inferior to Oakley. The design and build of Oakleys glasses are really good, even Lance Armstrong wears Oakley.

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 for oakley!! i ride with either my gascans or oil rigs right now & am looking into a pair of jawbones or m frames soon!

·
turtles make me hot
11,398 Posts
Wiley-X is really big in the US, due to their contracts with the military. Other than that Wiley-x is really inferior to Oakley. The design and build of Oakleys glasses are really good, even Lance Armstrong wears Oakley.

That's all good, but I'm 45 and wear my prescription Wileys all the time. I lean away from the Oakleys because I don't necessarily need to look like I'm livin' on the edge at all times.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another vote for Oakleys. I ride with Half Jackets with the transitions lenses, very good setup for MTB, as were the VR28 lenses they replaced. For full-sun road rides, I have a set of Gold Iridium polarized (polarized is great for this), and some clears for night. Love the interchangeable lenses!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use Oakley Radar and Oakley Flak Jackets both with Polarized lenses. Usually I wear which ever pair I find first when I'm getting ready to ride. For night rides I run the Radars with clear lenses. They work great for keeping the bugs out of your eyes. Next purchase might be Jawbones. Can't go wrong with Oakley.

·
EDR
10,011 Posts
You guys with Jawbones or Split Jackets...do you use these as everyday glasses? Not sure I'm ready to walk around the mall looking as if I'm impersonating Bono.

Anyhow I ask b/c I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene that are great for riding but I look kinda stupid just walking around in them. Looking for a pair that might do both. Maybe the Flak Jackets, with the XLJ lenses they would be good for cycling but might suite everyday walking around better than the Jawbones.

Here's the RP's, very 'cycling' looking which is great...when I'm cycling.

Attachments

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
You guys with Jawbones or Split Jackets...do you use these as everyday glasses? Not sure I'm ready to walk around the mall looking as if I'm impersonating Bono.

Anyhow I ask b/c I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene that are great for riding but I look kinda stupid just walking around in them. Looking for a pair that might do both. Maybe the Flak Jackets, with the XLJ lenses they would be good for cycling but might suite everyday walking around better than the Jawbones.

Here's the RP's, very 'cycling' looking which is great...when I'm cycling.
Good point, I only wear my Jawbone when I'm riding or a long drive as they are comfortable. It does not look very good wearing it, say to the market or to the mall:) I wear my half jacket and Ms anywhere.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
No, to me the Jawbones look a little goofy for non-riding use (and, probably more important to me, they were so damn expensive that I don't want to pointlessly risk losing/scratching them). Trying them on, I found the split jackets a little less over-the-top, which is to say a little more plausible for use around normal humans.

But all of that is just fashion, some will love the look and others could care less either way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts