Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread on setting up this 5th element shock. Stock, this shock felt stiff so I backed out the lo & hi speed screws all the way out. Still stiff. Next, I tried backing the cv/t screw all the way out to its stop and then one full turn in.

The chamber pressure is running at just over 100psi.

Why on earth is there a dead spot that feels notchy in the shock as it cycles through its travel? Is this a warranty issue or is it a setup issue? I set this shock using these settings from a pinkbike article 'acadian' started...

Progressive 5th Element's starting setup adjustments. Start with these settings then tweak as needed:
• Set the rebound at full fast
• 1 turn in on the CV/T chamber (start at full counterclockwise and give it one full clockwise turn)
• Approx 70 PSI in the air chamber
• Full out on the low speed screw (full counterclockwise)
• Full out on the high speed screw (Full counterclockwise)
• Then adjust rebound to prefered setting

Seemed like this dead spot occured only after trying to dial the 5th up. I guess I am more of a set it and forget it type. Just hate it when parts dont work smoothly.
I know Progressive has a special 'light tune' but its gonna be real hard to send the shock to Progressive so soon after only having the Sunday for 1 week. I'm hearing at least two weeks turnover time.

Need some help bros. What would you do?
 

·
Industry Loudmouth
Joined
·
964 Posts
Frankenstein said:
I wanted to start a new thread on setting up this 5th element shock. Stock, this shock felt stiff so I backed out the lo & hi speed screws all the way out. Still stiff. Next, I tried backing the cv/t screw all the way out to its stop and then one full turn in.

The chamber pressure is running at just over 100psi.
Start by lowering the air pressure to 50~60psi to see if this changes the feel. How is the rebound damping? Too slow?

If the shock tunes listed on pinkbike and on the Iron Horse tech bulletin (http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml) don't work out for you, contact Progressive warranty dept to get an RGA # for the shock. Reference "Iron Horse Sunday Shock Tune" when you call and when you return the shock. They have guaranteed a 24-48hr turn around time for these shock tunes. This will get you the latest Iron Horse shock tune.

-ska todd
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
ska todd said:
Start by lowering the air pressure to 50~60psi to see if this changes the feel. How is the rebound damping? Too slow?

If the shock tunes listed on pinkbike and on the Iron Horse tech bulletin (http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml) don't work out for you, contact Progressive warranty dept to get an RGA # for the shock. Reference "Iron Horse Sunday Shock Tune" when you call and when you return the shock. They have guaranteed a 24-48hr turn around time for these shock tunes. This will get you the latest Iron Horse shock tune.

-ska todd
What Todd said. At first I had high air pressure in my shock and it didn't work so great - once I lowered it to 50psi it was golden.

PS: I have the latest Sunday tune - Progressive did it for me at the Sea Otter.
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
Frankenstein said:
The latest shock tune must be good, did you notice much of a difference?. Glad to hear about the quick turn around.
unfortunately I didn't ride the shock in it's stock form. got the my Sunday freame a few days before Sea Otter - noticed that the rebound was pretty slow. Todd suggested I get the new bleed from Progressive, which I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must have been nice, on the spot tune up. Glad to hear you like it, will be stoked to have mine dialed in when I can get the patience and the brand new bike excitement has leveled off.

Have any action pics. post em...drops, jumps,etc???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
ska todd said:
If the shock tunes listed on pinkbike and on the Iron Horse tech bulletin (http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml) don't work out for you, contact Progressive warranty dept to get an RGA # for the shock. Reference "Iron Horse Sunday Shock Tune" when you call and when you return the shock. They have guaranteed a 24-48hr turn around time for these shock tunes. This will get you the latest Iron Horse shock tune.

-ska todd
Todd is Progressive doing the "tunes" for free or do we have to pay for them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
ska todd said:
Freebies for shocks that haven't been tuned yet.

-ska todd
Awesome!!

I just off the phone with Amy and she got me hooked up with an RGA#. She told me turn around time right now is about a week.

I have one more question for you. Does the tune make a substantial difference and how? I am leaving for Whistler in three weeks and I am reluctant to send my shock out just yet. I would be pissed if it got stuck there longer than planned and I dodn't get it back in time for my trip. Not to mention I don't want to give up much saddle time on my bike before the trip. I am wondering if I should wait until I get back. :confused:

Edit: I just called back and spoke to Amy and she said a week is the longest. She said about 48 hours should be average. I guess we will see next week when I send it out.
 

·
Industry Loudmouth
Joined
·
964 Posts
Salami said:
Awesome!!

I just off the phone with Amy and she got me hooked up with an RGA#. She told me turn around time right now is about a week.

Edit: I just called back and spoke to Amy and she said a week is the longest. She said about 48 hours should be average. I guess we will see next week when I send it out.
As per our agreement w/ Progressive on this, if you reference "Sunday Shock Tune" or "7POINT Shock Tune" the lead time will be under 48hrs. Make sure you clearly mark the box and communicate this to progressive so you get the right tune.

-ska todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Todd, will this take care of that play progressive had as well? something with the bushings that leave that slight feel of play? i heard about that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
_dw said:
It most likely doesn't have the correct tune. None of them that I have seen do. Just send it in and you will be good.

Dave
haha!
"Straight from the horse's mouth."

Thanks DW- i'll be sending it in soon.
(i can't imagine the bike feeling much better- I'm really looking forward to the new tune.)
This is one of the reasons I bought this bike.
I like the fact that Dante, Ska Todd, and DW monitor this board and I seriously took this into consideration before buying the rig.
It gives me so much more confidence in the product and that if I have any problems they will be resolved.

>>>>>>>>props to the crew at Iron Horse<<<<<<<<<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
ska todd said:
As per our agreement w/ Progressive on this, if you reference "Sunday Shock Tune" or "7POINT Shock Tune" the lead time will be under 48hrs. Make sure you clearly mark the box and communicate this to progressive so you get the right tune.

-ska todd
Progressive got it done! Big Thanks to David, Nick and Amy at Progressive for all their help. The shock got to them Wed. morning and they sent it out Thurs. afternoon. Right around 30 hours turn around. :cool:

A huge thumbs down to UPS for ****ing up a almost perfect plan and not understanding the concept of a OVER NIGHT delivery. My shock should have been in my hands as we speak but because of their wonderful service and willingness to help the customer, my shock is in KY instead of FL and I won't see it until Monday at the earliest. :mad:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top