Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trail crew has been working tirelessly prepping the park for opening this Friday. They have managed to get everything in the park raked and buffed out( with the exception of The Tower Line and Easy Tiger). You can expect to find some new bridges, a reroute or two and a ton of repairs scattered through out the park. The crew has also been working on the new beginner flow style trail that will connect the upper mountain to the South Ridge area. This trail, Easy Tiger is slated to open sometime in the very near future. We were hoping to have it for this weekend but Mother Nature has dictated otherwise. The park will now be serviced by the Chondola at South Ridge extending our over all vertical rise/drop. This will open up some stuff that has been closed since the summer of 2003. Stay tuned for updates as we move deeper into the summer. Hope to see you out there. --Steve
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
very nice steve!

i used to spend summers, and winters at sunday river in the mid 90's and spent a lot of time
riding up and down that mountain. i really miss the old catchem trail and sherwood forest with monkey brook return. long trails that took you way away from the on mountain trail network. i was riding in north conway today with a couple of long time bethel locals. i was showing them around on the some of the amazing riding in the mt washington valley. they couldn't believe that they'd been driving twice the distance to kingdom trails with the best riding only 50 or so miles away. anyway, great to hear that the riv bike park is alive and well after the heyday proflex days when the park once rocked. some mellower singletrack for us xc riders will make a nice addition to the gravity pilot terrain that is fairly unmatched in the northeast. can't wait for winter, let it snow!!!!!

rog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,297 Posts
newmarketrog said:
very nice steve!

i was riding in north conway today with a couple of long time bethel locals. i was showing them around on the some of the amazing riding in the mt washington valley. they couldn't believe that they'd been driving twice the distance to kingdom trails with the best riding only 50 or so miles away.

rog
Don't mean to poach this thread but I'd like you to elaborate on this comment you made. What in particular makes the North Conway stuff better than KT. I've only ridden the Nam trails (good workout but boring) and Red Tail (ripper in both directions). How much riding is out there compared to KT? Is it more technical? I'd like to plan a trip up there with the buds but I'm concerned that we'd be relying too much on local knowledge and end up getting lost and/or riding the same trails over and over again. My crew rides pretty fast so we'd be looking for multiple 30+ mile days of riding of the hardest stuff you got.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
woodyak said:
Don't mean to poach this thread but I'd like you to elaborate on this comment you made. What in particular makes the North Conway stuff better than KT. I've only ridden the Nam trails (good workout but boring) and Red Tail (ripper in both directions). How much riding is out there compared to KT? Is it more technical? I'd like to plan a trip up there with the buds but I'm concerned that we'd be relying too much on local knowledge and end up getting lost and/or riding the same trails over and over again. My crew rides pretty fast so we'd be looking for multiple 30+ mile days of riding of the hardest stuff you got.
i used to own a home in e.burke and ride there a ton, my dad lives there. the riding is way more extensive in n-con and what i like about the place is on average it is a fair bit more technical, but has plenty of "webs" type trails, but instead of KT trails being very short, the n-con trails just go and go with much less or no junctions every .5-1 mile like KT. the trails also don't get ridden as hard so the singletrack stays more like singletrack. the best part is that while a small percentage of the trails are mapped or signed, there are countless miles of trails that aren't so that you can actually have an adventurous experience vs a place like KT that is so straight forward and disneyish. i ride n-con at least 30 days a year and even the past 2 days found at least 2 hrs of new singletrack that i'd never ridden before and it was just amazing. killer climbs, beautiful switchbacks, open vistas, everything. one of the trails was at least 45 minutes at a good clip with no other junctions whatsoever.

go and explore. grab a local map. if yer there on a tues/wed, send me a message. i'm there pretty much every week. i live 2 miles from fort rock and i don't even ride there anymore as up north is just so good. sorry rob.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,297 Posts
newmarketrog said:
i used to own a home in e.burke and ride there a ton, my dad lives there. the riding is way more extensive in n-con and what i like about the place is on average it is a fair bit more technical, but has plenty of "webs" type trails, but instead of KT trails being very short, the n-con trails just go and go with much less or no junctions every .5-1 mile like KT. the trails also don't get ridden as hard so the singletrack stays more like singletrack. the best part is that while a small percentage of the trails are mapped or signed, there are countless miles of trails that aren't so that you can actually have an adventurous experience vs a place like KT that is so straight forward and disneyish. i ride n-con at least 30 days a year and even the past 2 days found at least 2 hrs of new singletrack that i'd never ridden before and it was just amazing. killer climbs, beautiful switchbacks, open vistas, everything. one of the trails was at least 45 minutes at a good clip with no other junctions whatsoever.

go and explore. grab a local map. if yer there on a tues/wed, send me a message. i'm there pretty much every week. i live 2 miles from fort rock and i don't even ride there anymore as up north is just so good. sorry rob.:)
Now you've really sparked my interest. PM on its way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
newmarketrog said:
very nice steve!

i used to spend summers, and winters at sunday river in the mid 90's and spent a lot of time
riding up and down that mountain. i really miss the old catchem trail and sherwood forest with monkey brook return. long trails that took you way away from the on mountain trail network. i was riding in north conway today with a couple of long time bethel locals. i was showing them around on the some of the amazing riding in the mt washington valley. they couldn't believe that they'd been driving twice the distance to kingdom trails with the best riding only 50 or so miles away. anyway, great to hear that the riv bike park is alive and well after the heyday proflex days when the park once rocked. some mellower singletrack for us xc riders will make a nice addition to the gravity pilot terrain that is fairly unmatched in the northeast. can't wait for winter, let it snow!!!!!

rog
What?
 

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
woodyak said:
I hope to get out there this year. Any bigger freeride stuff than what you have listed on your website?
There's not any real freeride stuff there, just a short jump line and a trail with a few log rides up top. The SR bike park is more all-natural classic new england lift access. What downhill used to be. Steep n' deep loam with roots and rocks. Steve and his crew have done a fine job at adding a touch of speed to the trails with reroutes and berms. However, it's still radically different than most mountains in the northeast. Highland will have to be your terrain park for the moment, but Sunday River is first chair on a powder day except with dirt. Show up and experience it!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top