Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to do a Shuttle Sunday, up on the mountain. Not too early since it's cooler up there anyway, and gives a little morning time for those playin out on Sat night.
Was thinkin around 10:30AM meet at the Highlands Elem School parking lot across from Potatoegod Estate (Simplot) off BB Road.

Nels? , Smily? Buddha? Earthpig? :cool:

We'll depart from the school, leave vehicles on turnout at BB Road, shuttle up then do about 2 mile warmup on BB road to the trailhead up top.

If you haven't done this it's a good one.
Fast start then turn onto singletrack offerring lots of fun twisty stuff, with just enough technical thrown in to keep ya on your toez.

Climbs out are up and down and switchbacks then mostly downhill singletrack back to our vehicles

PLEASE CONFIRM ON THE BOARD HERE IF YOU WANT TO COME MAKE IT SO WE CAN GET A HEADCOUNT

I'm thinkin after to go over to Lucky13

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Wednesday?

mtnbkrdr98 said:
I'm wanting to do a Shuttle Sunday, up on the mountain. Not too early since it's cooler up there anyway, and gives a little morning time for those playin out on Sat night.
Was thinkin around 10:30AM meet at the Highlands Elem School parking lot across from Potatoegod Estate (Simplot) off BB Road.

Nels? , Smily? Buddha? Earthpig? :cool:

We'll depart from the school, leave vehicles on turnout at BB Road, shuttle up then do about 2 mile warmup on BB road to the trailhead up top.

If you haven't done this it's a good one.
Fast start then turn onto singletrack offerring lots of fun twisty stuff, with just enough technical thrown in to keep ya on your toez.

Climbs out are up and down and switchbacks then mostly downhill singletrack back to our vehicles

PLEASE CONFIRM ON THE BOARD HERE IF YOU WANT TO COME MAKE IT SO WE CAN GET A HEADCOUNT

I'm thinkin after to go over to Lucky13
Daryl - Thanks for the invite, but I was again in McCall this weekend. A little cooler than the valley, but not much. Rode 20 Mile trail from Upper Payette Lake to Duck Lake and back - somewhere between 18 and 24 miles of twisty, rocky, rooty singletrack.

As for riding, I'm going to try to leave work early on Wednesday and head up to Bogus/Stack to ride. Probably leave town around 2 or 3. You in?

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
Earthpig said:
Daryl - Thanks for the invite, but I was again in McCall this weekend. A little cooler than the valley, but not much. Rode 20 Mile trail from Upper Payette Lake to Duck Lake and back - somewhere between 18 and 24 miles of twisty, rocky, rooty singletrack.

Good Stuff. A group of 12 of us just yesterday (Sat) rode up to Duck Lake and out 20-Mile Creek. Lots and lots of fun. Had a couple from NY, a couple of Spokane Gals, an OR gal, an Idaho and 5 or 6 guys from Boise. It's an annual get-together in McCall.

We'll be posting pictures to alt.mountain-bike (search Paladin) if anybody wants to see the photos and a little video.

Chris Brown

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Up Lick Creek?

CBro said:
Good Stuff. A group of 12 of us just yesterday (Sat) rode up to Duck Lake and out 20-Mile Creek. Lots and lots of fun. Had a couple from NY, a couple of Spokane Gals, an OR gal, an Idaho and 5 or 6 guys from Boise. It's an annual get-together in McCall.

We'll be posting pictures to alt.mountain-bike (search Paladin) if anybody wants to see the photos and a little video.

Chris Brown
Did you guys ride from town up Lick Creek road to the Duck Lake trailhead, or did you shuttle to the Duck lake TH? I saw some tire tracks on the trail today, but saw no people at all in about 3 and a half hours on the trail. That is one sick mother of trail if you ride it "backwards" from Upper Lake. Took me just over 2 hours of riding and hike-a-bike to make it to Duck Lake from the Upper Lake 20 Mile TH. That first 3 - 4 miles from the Upper Lake 20 mile TH is deceptively flat and I thought I'd be to Duck Lake in just over an hour. Not so - I didn't count on the technical aspect of all the roots and rocks. Seems like the trail got harder, steeper, and more technical the closer you got to the ridge above Duck Lake. I determined that it's MUCH more fun to ride it downhill from Duck back to Upper Lake. What a hoot! I'm glad you guys came through yesterday to knock down the chest-high weeds and grasses in the meadows - some of those sections you had to just barrel through and hope there wasn't a big rock hiding in the grass. All in all, a good ride, but I may have to shuttle it next time! :D

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
Earthpig said:
Did you guys ride from town up Lick Creek road to the Duck Lake trailhead, or did you shuttle to the Duck lake TH?

**We shuttled it. Took cars to the Lick Creek Summit, and then had non-riding spouses (spice?) take them back and park them at the north shore snowmobile parking. Made about a 20 mile ride, counting the 7 or 8 on the road.

**The way you rode would have been very brutal. Our route, the hard uphill was out of the way within the first two miles or so.

**Then we took our time and had a lot of fun. We had the Parrish father/son downhill/trials team to entertain us on the big rocks. We had a big SS'er from the east end of the valley who did some stunts, too. (He brought the springs for this ride). We stopped for swimming at a wide part of the creek. We spotted each other on some of more outrageous sections by the top.

**Just a big party ride, really. Lots of pictures, food & drink breaks, re-riding the tough stuff.

I saw some tire tracks on the trail today, but saw no people at all in about 3 and a half hours on the trail. That is one sick mother of trail if you ride it "backwards" from Upper Lake. Took me just over 2 hours of riding and hike-a-bike to make it to Duck Lake from the Upper Lake 20 Mile TH. That first 3 - 4 miles from the Upper Lake 20 mile TH is deceptively flat and I thought I'd be to Duck Lake in just over an hour. Not so - I didn't count on the technical aspect of all the roots and rocks. Seems like the trail got harder, steeper, and more technical the closer you got to the ridge above Duck Lake.

**It sure did. And going down was dangerous in places.

I determined that it's MUCH more fun to ride it downhill from Duck back to Upper Lake. What a hoot!

**Yeah, one of my personal top ten of all times. The flowers were beautiful, the trail absolutely perfect (a little mud here & there), and the variety awesome.

I'm glad you guys came through yesterday to knock down the chest-high weeds and grasses in the meadows - some of those sections you had to just barrel through and hope there wasn't a big rock hiding in the grass. All in all, a good ride, but I may have to shuttle it next time! :D
**Yeah, we were joking about if that's not singletrack, I don't know what is. That was so narrow, some guys got allergic reactions on their arms and legs by those tall grasses.

**We had about half our riders run out of water before the end, so we had to pool resources. When I set this up, I told everybody to have *at least* 100ozs, and more if they could carry it. And be prepared for 20 mi of tough singletrack at elevation. O well. Found out later a couple of riders only had 2 water bottles.

**After the trail ride, then the road ride "down" Warren Wagon to the parking lot, a couple of us took another 11mi by road back to our cabin on the east side. By then it was blazing hot and not fun. we had to stop at somebody's cabin and pump water into our camelbacks to stop from cramping up and bonking.

**All in all, though, a spectacular time.

**CB

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Laprade

CBro said:
**Yeah, we were joking about if that's not singletrack, I don't know what is. That was so narrow, some guys got allergic reactions on their arms and legs by those tall grasses.

**We had about half our riders run out of water before the end, so we had to pool resources. When I set this up, I told everybody to have *at least* 100ozs, and more if they could carry it. And be prepared for 20 mi of tough singletrack at elevation. O well. Found out later a couple of riders only had 2 water bottles.

**After the trail ride, then the road ride "down" Warren Wagon to the parking lot, a couple of us took another 11mi by road back to our cabin on the east side. By then it was blazing hot and not fun. we had to stop at somebody's cabin and pump water into our camelbacks to stop from cramping up and bonking.

**All in all, though, a spectacular time.

**CB
So, I got an email this morning from Greg Laprade, asking if I had anymore "SWISS" t-shirts that I had printed a couple of years ago. He says he was riding in McCall this weekend with a group and somebody asked about getting one. So I ask him if he was part of the group that rode twentymile on Saturday and, wouldn't you know it, he was! Small world! I haven't ridden with Greg in a long time - I heard he was doing a lot of running - good to hear you got him out to ride!!

As for the SWISS t-shirts, I ran out of those a while ago, but if I print more, I'll be sure to let you know.

Geoff

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't be able to escape work that early

Earthpig said:

As for riding, I'm going to try to leave work early on Wednesday and head up to Bogus/Stack to ride. Probably leave town around 2 or 3. You in?
Ah well. But am riding tomorrow (tues)

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
Earthpig said:
So, I got an email this morning from Greg Laprade, asking if I had anymore "SWISS" t-shirts that I had printed a couple of years ago. He says he was riding in McCall this weekend with a group and somebody asked about getting one. So I ask him if he was part of the group that rode twentymile on Saturday and, wouldn't you know it, he was! Small world! I haven't ridden with Greg in a long time - I heard he was doing a lot of running - good to hear you got him out to ride!!

As for the SWISS t-shirts, I ran out of those a while ago, but if I print more, I'll be sure to let you know.

Geoff
It is a small world, indeed. Greg was one our strongest riders, right there with the Dirt Dart and this triathlete gal from Spokane, Lorae. There's a video avail showing Greg hucking off this 4' drop that's pretty cool for a big guy. He snakebit on the landing, but it was worth it. I can give you the address via email, since the guy's server could easily get overloaded.

There's a great shot of Greg and Lorae jumping off the cliffs into Payette Lake you can find on alt.mountain-bike ng, search under amb idaho penny.

Greg brought 5lbs of the best hamburger that I cooked up Sunday for a farewell feast. I'd love one of those shirts, and I know some others who'd probably want them too.

Next on my annual "must-do" list is Fisher Williams and Elk Meadows.

Chris B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts