Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have my rush on sunday. Im thinking about going up on saturday to rake out some of the trails (not the freeride stuff..unless anyones up for it). I found some fun looking trails going from the top to bottom that Ill be riding on sunday for a while after their raked. anybody up for a little bit of riding with a rider new to this kinda stuff? Let me know.........

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
aww nobody? Its the last day before it snows...

I went out today and ended up riding the atv trail out to the pole lines, I dont know the singletrack loops too good yet, but mann, it was fun! I was just by myself cruisen through the woods in places ive never been before..it was really cool and there fun trails to ride on a bike that is geared towards it. im heading up around 1 tomarow (sunday)

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Just out of curiousity, are you going farther, faster? That area used to really rock as far as trails were concerned. However, it has lost a bit of it's luster. It could shine yet again with a bit of effort. *hint* *hint* I will say that the river trail absolutely rocks. The corners on that trail are second to none. Super fast. Have you looped that up with the powerline trails yet? I bet that would rock right now. All of the wetspots should be frozen on the powerlines. I bet you could get 20-25 miles in easy in a hurry on that rush. By the way, how do you like longer distance trail riding?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the trails are very un maintained..sadly. but dont worry, in the spring i will either rake or leave blow all the trails (that i can find)..if anyone wants to help that would be cool too. what im discovering is i like rough rocky trails that are fast, and theres such awesome trails out there, but theres small climbs and flat stretchs and I could never do them on a dh bike, but now I can.i couldnt find to many of the trails so I got on the atv trail and rode until i got back on to the pole lines again. I used to ride the river trail like every day, but the bridges wash out all the time and im not going to ride it right now not knowing if there out or not, but nonetheless thats a fun trail. one day i would like to ride from the junior high, get to methodist road, and get to 302, get on the river trail, and then get to falmouth, then hit the extension on the other side of the bridge which i havent completed yet. As far as long rides, i havent done to much distance stuff. yesterday was the farthest ride i have done in a while, which was from my house (close to the mall) to the junior high then up the trails and finished the atv trail then back..and i wasnt too tired. I liked the rush, but I think i want a new rear shock. its a manitou radium, and its just too linear for me. I want it to ramp up..like get stiffer as it goes through the travel. I was thinking either a fox rp3, fox floar rl, fox dhx air, or a rockshox air shock (forgot the name).. any tips anyone? I really like trail riding because you just go and go and go and with a trail bike with low gears you can go through and over anything without as much effort. Im still lacking in speed i think. I can go really fast, but I get tired quick. Well Im off to ride in this ice and snow and all the other goodies:) :D

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
the trails are very un maintained..sadly. but dont worry, in the spring i will either rake or leave blow all the trails (that i can find)..if anyone wants to help that would be cool too. what im discovering is i like rough rocky trails that are fast, and theres such awesome trails out there, but theres small climbs and flat stretchs and I could never do them on a dh bike, but now I can.i couldnt find to many of the trails so I got on the atv trail and rode until i got back on to the pole lines again. I used to ride the river trail like every day, but the bridges wash out all the time and im not going to ride it right now not knowing if there out or not, but nonetheless thats a fun trail. one day i would like to ride from the junior high, get to methodist road, and get to 302, get on the river trail, and then get to falmouth, then hit the extension on the other side of the bridge which i havent completed yet. As far as long rides, i havent done to much distance stuff. yesterday was the farthest ride i have done in a while, which was from my house (close to the mall) to the junior high then up the trails and finished the atv trail then back..and i wasnt too tired. I liked the rush, but I think i want a new rear shock. its a manitou radium, and its just too linear for me. I want it to ramp up..like get stiffer as it goes through the travel. I was thinking either a fox rp3, fox floar rl, fox dhx air, or a rockshox air shock (forgot the name).. any tips anyone? I really like trail riding because you just go and go and go and with a trail bike with low gears you can go through and over anything without as much effort. Im still lacking in speed i think. I can go really fast, but I get tired quick. Well Im off to ride in this ice and snow and all the other goodies:) :D
A lot of riders like to ride trails and not work on them. You(like myself and obviously others in this forum) do work on them. It may just be up to you and a couple of your friends to get that network up and running again the way it used to be. I am contemplating a move back down there after my AT thru hike in Sept. One of my first items on my laundry list would be to either make bridges on the river trail that do not washout, or recut trails around those outlets and build a bridge that would not wash out further up the small stream. That trail is phenomenal. The corners are so fast and numerous that it boggled my mind. The bridges are the only hinderance as they are not well placed. There are other trails in the area that are amazing as well. However, they are grown in. It would not take very much time to clear them out. It may just be up to you.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me and a few riders will probably be working on the river trail in the spring. I was thinking elevated bridges that have a ramp going up, then go flat over the stream, then a ramp going down to the other side. the tying them down with rope. If we put the board going up about 2-3 feet and have that board not even over the water (so it cant wash out) and the same with the other side, and then just have a flat board over the water so it cant wash out. like this
The river trail was the first trail ive ever really ridden, and its prob still my favorite trail (non downhill/freeride wise). I dont think theres one rock on that trail. I think some more stunt lines could be made off to the side though. Anyone up for some spring trail work on the river trail? I know its a ways away but It would be nice to have an idea.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
That is a good idea. The smooth factor is the best part. It really doesn't get technical until about 12-14mph. Then it becomes technical. That characteristic is contrary to our trails so it makes it feel like cheating.

There are some really cool bridges on the portland side before the golf course. Have you ridden that side? It was very, very grown in when I rode it in July. With a little work, that could be a great 15-20 mile ride if you rode it all. That loop you described earlier would be a killer ride as well. I have always wondered what could be done about the wet spots on the pole lines. They are a real pain.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
indyfab25 said:
That is a good idea. The smooth factor is the best part. It really doesn't get technical until about 12-14mph. Then it becomes technical. That characteristic is contrary to our trails so it makes it feel like cheating.

There are some really cool bridges on the portland side before the golf course. Have you ridden that side? It was very, very grown in when I rode it in July. With a little work, that could be a great 15-20 mile ride if you rode it all. That loop you described earlier would be a killer ride as well. I have always wondered what could be done about the wet spots on the pole lines. They are a real pain.
Are you talking about the one that goes from warren ave behind the motorcycle shop out to the bridge? if so, ive ridden that. It used to be really fun with all the bridges and stunts, but i think the big teeter got washed away or it was taken out. some of the bridges are rebuilt, and some of that trail is even mowed with a double deck lawn mower for a short bit..other than that its massivly grown in. In the spring i swear im gonna clean that thing head to toe. I got a new weedwacker ive been dying to test out. as well as bridges i have tons of wood to build some ...usualy me and my lbs try and maintain it once in a whille in the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.