Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's take a look at the balance of my last ride:

- (1) surely busted BB - it's ticking and it has never been a good sign on a sealed BB unit
- (1) busted front wheel - looks like a charro hat, but still brought me home. Simply FUBAR.
- (2) stupid crashes - one more stupid than the other
- (1) bruise at the instep (empeine) - I had no idea how I got it
- mutiple small scratches and bruises, not worth mentioning as a list.

How was you weekend ride?
MINE WAS N I C E!!!!!! :devil: :thumbsup:

On the high end, Abel has my new wheels ready!! I'll pick them up any time of the week. :D
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tacubaya said:
You had the same luck as Ritopc, he go a flat on his two wheels simultaneously plus like a dozen crashes....
Oh... I had forgotten about my flat!!! :eek:

I flatted the rear wheel. This Roll-X tyre is ubernice, fast and grippy... but it had already given me two pinch flats in less than two months. That's too much in my book.

Ouch... I can't imagine the pain of having to fix the rear flat on Rito's bike... Did he make it outta the woods riding? I seem to recall him saying that a rear flat would put him to walk.
 

·
moaaar shimz
Joined
·
9,125 Posts
First he thought it was the front wheel and that he just needed some allens to open the Thru axle but then he realized it was also the rear so he decided to end the ride walking...
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
Aw.. too bad about all the JRA, but at least you got out!

Let's do something this Sunday!
I'll be off the bike this weekend, but let's plan something for the next one!

I was limping back to the car, more because I was tired and shaken. But the front was just fine. A bit of rub on the Zoke but not much more.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
Warp said:
Let's take a look at the balance of my last ride:

- (1) surely busted BB - it's ticking and it has never been a good sign on a sealed BB unit
- (1) busted front wheel - looks like a charro hat, but still brought me home. Simply FUBAR.
- (2) stupid crashes - one more stupid than the other
- (1) bruise at the instep (empeine) - I had no idea how I got it
- mutiple small scratches and bruises, not worth mentioning as a list.

How was you weekend ride?
MINE WAS N I C E!!!!!! :devil: :thumbsup:

On the high end, Abel has my new wheels ready!! I'll pick them up any time of the week. :D
That sounds like a fun weekend....

Here the weather was crappy, so I didn't get to ride... but at least now I have a Revelation to install on the SS :D

and tomorrow I will het a new XT RD, because the shop messed up and sent me a non poplock model, when it was supposed to be poplock (which I don't really care for) I just got it because it was even cheaper than a Reba because it was the 06 model :) ...so they couldn't exchange it for a poplock one..and gave store credit.... which I took advantage to replace my rapid rise xt for an 07 "normal" one :yesnod:
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crisillo said:
That sounds like a fun weekend....
We had a blast of a ride... kinda longish and tiresome, about 40km... but here the weather is plain perfect.

We were 5 riding buddies (Rucky_Rene, The Human GPS Oscar, Edgar, Jorge (aka El Chiva) and me)... we all had a fall, except Rucky... but he was being a wuss yesterday :D

My first fall was going down a chute with too little speed and too much fear... I had cleared it many times before, but I chickened and my wheel tried to get out of the rut that makes the chute and I went down in slow motion and rolled down the hill. Stupid.

The second one was over a 3" deep pothole that I tried to hop over. I landed with the fork perpedicular to the bike with the logic consequences. Stupid Piloting Mistake. I tacoed the wheel, and had a nice soil sample (not a face one, though, luckily). We were all laughing our arses off at my stunt.

Edgar fell so many times that we don't remember the count. He got a nice hit on the head on one of them. He got up from the crash "looking for" his bike (it was just aside him, he was a bit groggy)... but he was OK after a second or two.

Oscar got a bad hit when we were crossing a stream hike-a-biking... a stone moved under his feet and he landed with a knee over a rock in the water. That hurted a lot.

Jorge fell a few times too... one of them in a very spectacular manner... In the twistier of the singletrack, he was making (in his own words) "the descent of his life"... he was really hauling arse and then the bike went off under him... Edgar says he leaned the bike too much.

Oh, well... to much fun for a weekend... :D

Congrats on the new snatch!! Let us know how it goes!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
Warp said:
We had a blast of a ride... kinda longish and tiresome, about 40km... but here the weather is plain perfect.

We were 5 riding buddies (Rucky_Rene, The Human GPS Oscar, Edgar, Jorge (aka El Chiva) and me)... we all had a fall, except Rucky... but he was being a wuss yesterday :D

My first fall was going down a chute with too little speed and too much fear... I had cleared it many times before, but I chickened and my wheel tried to get out of the rut that makes the chute and I went down in slow motion and rolled down the hill. Stupid.

The second one was over a 3" deep pothole that I tried to hop over. I landed with the fork perpedicular to the bike with the logic consequences. Stupid Piloting Mistake. I tacoed the wheel, and had a nice soil sample (not a face one, though, luckily). We were all laughing our arses off at my stunt.

Edgar fell so many times that we don't remember the count. He got a nice hit on the head on one of them. He got up from the crash "looking for" his bike (it was just aside him, he was a bit groggy)... but he was OK after a second or two.

Oscar got a bad hit when we were crossing a stream hike-a-biking... a stone moved under his feet and he landed with a knee over a rock in the water. That hurted a lot.

Jorge fell a few times too... one of them in a very spectacular manner... In the twistier of the singletrack, he was making (in his own words) "the descent of his life"... he was really hauling arse and then the bike went off under him... Edgar says he leaned the bike too much.

Oh, well... to much fun for a weekend... :D
Yeah it sounds awesome... seems like you have a great "biking gang" going on over there :thumbsup:

Warp said:
Congrats on the new snatch!! Let us know how it goes!
I sure will... I had a little scare.. thought the fork was DOA, and the MoCo didn't lock and even asked the webstore for a return package label, but I then sat down and checked it through.. released all air from the cambers... and compressed all the way...about 90% down there was a click... and from then on it worked!... probably the circlip under the MoCo assembly was outside the slot.... I had that happen on my Pike when I first got it (but on the Pike it was broken :eek: .. got warrantied though... so I know support is good)

anyway... this fork has been an adventure already.. and I haven't even installed it :lol:
 
Joined
·
311 Posts
Warp said:
We had a blast of a ride... kinda longish and tiresome, about 40km... but here the weather is plain perfect.

We were 5 riding buddies (Rucky_Rene, The Human GPS Oscar, Edgar, Jorge (aka El Chiva) and me)... we all had a fall, except Rucky... but he was being a wuss yesterday :D

Capitan Jack.. Jack Sparrow!

:madman:

My first fall was going down a chute with too little speed and too much fear... I had cleared it many times before, but I chickened and my wheel tried to get out of the rut that makes the chute and I went down in slow motion and rolled down the hill. Stupid.

Te digo pero cuando salen a chiluca solo andan de picnic!!!!:p

pero en serio pensamos Edgar y yo que de ese brinco ibas a salir con un caballito... pero creo que la yegua se te desbocó :lol: :incazzato: :skep:

aaaaahhh!!!! pero yo fui el único invicto :rockon:
Ayer los astros se alinearon a mi favor!! cero caidas..cero calambres... y subi las eses como nunca... ademas de que gano el américa y es el lider en la primera fecha!!! :eekster:
Será que me estoy volviendo un ser supremo?!!! :rockon: :eek:ut: :arf: :ihih: :lol: :sleep:

mmm mejor me dedico a seguri trabajnado :blush: :yesnod: :eek:ut:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
ROCKY_RENE said:
Warp said:
We had a blast of a ride... kinda longish and tiresome, about 40km... but here the weather is plain perfect.

We were 5 riding buddies (Rucky_Rene, The Human GPS Oscar, Edgar, Jorge (aka El Chiva) and me)... we all had a fall, except Rucky... but he was being a wuss yesterday :D
Capitan Jack.. Jack Sparrow!

:madman:

Warp said:
My first fall was going down a chute with too little speed and too much fear... I had cleared it many times before, but I chickened and my wheel tried to get out of the rut that makes the chute and I went down in slow motion and rolled down the hill. Stupid.
Te digo pero cuando salen a chiluca solo andan de picnic!!!!:p

pero en serio pensamos Edgar y yo que de ese brinco ibas a salir con un caballito... pero creo que la yegua se te desbocó :lol: :incazzato: :skep:

aaaaahhh!!!! pero yo fui el único invicto :rockon:
Ayer los astros se alinearon a mi favor!! cero caidas..cero calambres... y subi las eses como nunca... ademas de que gano el américa y es el lider en la primera fecha!!! :eekster:
Será que me estoy volviendo un ser supremo?!!! :rockon: :eek:ut: :arf: :ihih: :lol: :sleep:

mmm mejor me dedico a seguri trabajnado :blush: :yesnod: :eek:ut:
Some days one just gets up on the right foot... don't press your luck too hard though :lol:
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rodar y rodar said:
Wow, sounds like a rough day- at least you got some pedaling in. 40Km? That`s a long way on AM bikes, isn`t it? For me, it`s about as long as they get on my heavy XC.
Oh, it's not all AM. It's moslty rough XC.

My Switchblade is not bad at around 14kg... I haven't weighed it, but it's just 6.5 pounds of frame, 5 for fork and around 9 for complete wheels+tyres... that's just 20 pounds... you can't build under 30 with that.

I'll let others to tell you how rough/smooth Chiluca is. It's not as technical as Ajusco (did I get it right this time, guys?), but it's very rough as surface. I'd finish even more battered with a short travel or HT bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
any day in the trail, is way better than a day in the office hehe. nice story I wish people up here were more fun oriented, everybobdy up here believe themself Tinker Juarez. they take all the fun out of MT Biking.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tucky said:
any day in the trail, is way better than a day in the office hehe. nice story I wish people up here were more fun oriented, everybobdy up here believe themself Tinker Juarez. they take all the fun out of MT Biking.
As I've always said... we're a bunch of guys over our 30's who already went over the racer-boy approach.

The idea is to have a lot of fun and a couple beers. No one is to break a record or win anything.

There's always the desire to ride a bit bigger, a bit faster... but in the end we all have to get together to the cars, so it makes little sense to get too far apart from each other.
 

·
weirdo
Joined
·
6,223 Posts
Warp said:
My Switchblade is not bad at around 14kg... I haven't weighed it, but it's just 6.5 pounds of frame, 5 for fork and around 9 for complete wheels+tyres... that's just 20 pounds... you can't build under 30 with that.
That`s a lot less than I would have thought. My HT (Kona Blast w/ Marathon SL) is 12.2 kilos naked with the tires I usualy use. Add maybe 700g for the stuff (tools, tube, pump) that I never ride without. Looks like there isn`t really much weight penalty for smooth ride.

Rito, TWO flats at the same time? That sucks! What did all you DF guys do to piss off the gods? Every week someone breaks a derailer hanger, tacos a rim, or has a supply problem. At least no major injuries. Come on, now- new year, new luck. No more damage, please!
 

·
moaaar shimz
Joined
·
9,125 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
That`s a lot less than I would have thought. My HT (Kona Blast w/ Marathon SL) is 12.2 kilos naked with the tires I usualy use. Add maybe 700g for the stuff (tools, tube, pump) that I never ride without. Looks like there isn`t really much weight penalty for smooth ride.

Rito, TWO flats at the same time? That sucks! What did all you DF guys do to piss off the gods? Every week someone breaks a derailer hanger, tacos a rim, or has a supply problem. At least no major injuries. Come on, now- new year, new luck. No more damage, please!
We dont piss of any gods, its just simple: DOWNHILL IS EXPENSIVE
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tacubaya said:
We dont piss of any gods, its just simple: DOWNHILL IS EXPENSIVE
Not as in black and or white... I was not making DH and simply totalled a wheel...

Simply put... if you wanna play, you gotta pay. ;)
 

·
moaaar shimz
Joined
·
9,125 Posts
But most of the stuff that happened to you was because of wearing off or not paying attention (low pressure = snake bite).

Most thins in DH happens because of rapid wear off, crashes and abuse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Indeed, Sunday wasn't my day. I had fun and tried two more jumps (well, actually a tiny drop and a small bank), but I did suffer a lot of falls. It all started at the begining of the DH when I decided to wear googles due to the dense dust. It was a bad call coz I used my glases underneath and that made the googles to get really foggy. Moreover, in my first fall i did an endo and landed no-hands and hit my head with a root (good gosh I was wearing the FF). That fall make me loose all my confidence and from then I was falling every now and then.

On the shuttle run I was recovering my confidence and in a second try, I did a small drop (2ft tops) that kinda looks scary; the landing has to be done between two rocks that can only be seen once you are over the edge of the drop. Once you know which line to follow is quite esay to do. Anyways, I did the landing fine but 5 meters on the road there is a small sharp rock, 10cm tall, I wasn't expecting, which I hit with my front wheel, then with my bash guard (I think the fork compressed a lot with the first hit for that to happen) and then hit the rear wheel. I kept going down and gaining speed, but when the time came to do a tight turn my bike slipped under me and left me doing a Valenzuela move.

I am not sure what happened, I thought the tubes got flat with the hit of the rock but yesterday when I fixed the tubes I saw snakebites on both wheels on the left side. It was a left turn, so it makes me believe that the flats where a combination of low pressure and weak walls on the nevegals. From now on I wil be sure the have at least 35psi on my wheels (I was using 28psi on Sunday).

ohh, and Dh is expensive. I bought a DH tube and it cost me 150 pesitos. That's a lot of money por a piece of rubber!!!! I did't install it since it is a 2.25mm thick tube and is amazingly heavy. I will exchange it for something less heavy-duty (something arrond 1.5-1.7 mm thick)

Anyways, It was a nice ride full with tiny bad luck moments.

Hey warp, I can see that Ghetto-blade evolving into the pimp-blade soon... Louises!, Hope's! Race Face's! jezzeee !!... Congrats bro!!!

EDIT: and I forgot to mention that when I got home I discovered I got a nasty hit on one of my ribs. I am not sure form which of the many hits. It was quite uncomfortable for the rest of the day; it is healing fast though.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top