Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A chance to gawk at DurtGurl's trophy bike, for all the closet roadies to show their pride, and to break up the monotony of summer.

Sunday July 22, 5am FIP

Route: the Hawes Walgreens (Power & Thomas) in East Mesa, to Butcher Jones Beach on Saguaro Lake, and back. The basic route is 33 miles, we will have 2 route options (to the B-Line, and up Usery Pass) that can make it upto 44 miles. A strong roadie could do this in about 2 hrs, average about 2.5, a totally new roadie but in good riding shape could probably do 3 - 3.5. Options will let us split up as our paces and fitness dictate, but still mostly ride together.

After Ride - optional pool, coffee, mimosas and light fare at my house around the corner from the Walgreens

Q & A
Q: 5am?!?! are you f$&*ing sh$t%ng me??!
A: you will be rewarded with cool air along the river, shade til almost 6:30, and little traffic as we will be out and back before most of the cars come out. If we delay our start, it will be hotter and more cars.

Q: How hard is this ride?
A: Not as easy as Pecos road, not as hard as Tortilla Flats. This is an intermediate route with several good climbs and many rolling hills, and some stretches with a small bike lane. Mildly challenging technically, good fitness challenge.

Q: Water?
A: Bring as much as you think you will need. We won't pass any services. I will stash 5gals 10 miles into the route so we will pass it twice. I usually use 3 bottles, and am a bit below average for drinking.

Q: Maps and stats?
A: I will post up a map and topo next week, with descriptions of the route options.

Q: Route highlights?
A: This is a really fun route. After you bomb down Power road at 35+ mph, you hit the cool evaporative wall of the river and get the best shiver you've had since February. Then its rolling hills and a few tough climbs to the beach where you can dip your feet away from all the boats. Bombing twisty downhills, more rolling hills, then (optional) tough 3 mile climb up Usery Pass, ending on a 2 mile bomb down through Las Sendas.

Hope to see you all!

·
Something goes here...
2,009 Posts
Very tempting...We did this ride last year on a day that turned out to be 114 degrees! If it's gonna be cooler than that, I'll probably make it. I'll confirm by tomorrow.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
July 22

su.ling~ said:
DG is in NM remember? No chance for gawking at her ride...
this is the extra special, advance notice, mark your calender, DurtGurl sponsored ride in 2+ weeks. :thumbsup:

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
chollaball said:
this is the extra special, advance notice, mark your calender, DurtGurl sponsored ride in 2+ weeks. :thumbsup:
errr...yes...I am a moron and apparently cannot read dates. :rolleyes: I was so thinking this Sunday that "Sunday" is all I saw. Damn, this is way way WAY in advance!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
su.ling~ said:
this is way way WAY in advance!
that is how i roll. :crazy: I'm a freak that way, but now I have time to shop for OJ and champagne, and maybe even find a sitter. hope you and Jeff can make it.

Kathleen actually pushed that date.

·
Something goes here...
2,009 Posts
su.ling~ said:
errr...yes...I am a moron and apparently cannot read dates. :rolleyes: I was so thinking this Sunday that "Sunday" is all I saw. Damn, this is way way WAY in advance!
DOH! I read it as tomorrow also. I was planning on this ride tomorrow so now what to do? Anyone wanna road ride tomorrow?

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
DOH! I read it as tomorrow also. I was planning on this ride tomorrow so now what to do? Anyone wanna road ride tomorrow?

Rodney,
Simon and I are heading out from my house at 5-5:30 tomorrow....Usery Pass and some other stuff, slow to moderate pace. I'm in alot of pain right now so probably more of a slow pace....Let me know if you are interested....Anyone else is also welcome to join....

Chollaball, I'm probably in for the 22nd....

·
Something goes here...
2,009 Posts
Check your PM's.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eabos said:
Sup Jason? I haven't been on the road bike for like a year. I may try to make this.
sweet. Chongo & I, NR on Somo W, rt and fip tbd. cya?

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
chollaball said:
sweet. Chongo & I, NR on Somo W, rt and fip tbd. cya?
Sounds good, I try and make it. Gotta warn you though, prior to a couple of rides on National this last weekend I hadn't ridden in almost 3 months. I am out of shape and slooooooow.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DurtGurl said:
Yawwwwnnnn.. 5AM 7/22 ! I'll be there! The advance warning gives me time to mentally prepare, check to see that the tires on the roadie have not decayed due to lack of use, and maybe do a little prep spin this weekend.
exactly! make sure y'all go buy a spare tube, then go return it and buy the right size for the roadie :D

how was NM?

·
Something goes here...
2,009 Posts
Count me in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This sounds like a lot of fun ... fun sounding route ... I can't do it the 22nd sadly, I'll be in Flag doing my first triathlon ... but if it's going off again or regularly I'm in!

·
Something goes here...
2,009 Posts
Where'd you find info on tri's? This is something I'm looking at starting to do. Do you have links or anything? Thanks!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Route Map

Here are the route maps, stats and a 3d view. Please refer to the route map when reviewing these descriptions. There are several possible routes:

44 miler. Power Road all the way to the B-line (top right corner of the map), past the flag marked Option 1. Turn around and after 3 miles, head east down to Butcher Jones Beach. Climb back to Power Road, then head back how you came until the intersection marked "Option 2". Head south up Usery Pass, ending at the starting point.

33 miler. This bypasses both Option 1 and Option 2. Out to Power Road to Butcher Jones Beach and back. To see the stats, look at the stats map upto 16.5 miles, then reverse.

Option 1 - a 6 mile out-and-back to the B-line. We will do this before descending to the beach, so that we can meet up with those who skip this option.

Option 2 - add about 5 miles by going up Usery Pass.

The options allow you to customize the ride to how you are feeling. If you are dragging or slow, skip both Options. If you feel good initially but bonk, skip Option 2. If you want to be conservative but feel good towards the end, skip Option 1.

I will stash water 10 miles into the route. See the flag marked water. The water will be at the west end of the Blue Point bridge, behind the concrete barriers on the north side of the road. This will be convenient to hit on the return trip (assuming no one steals it).

FYI: I did the ride at 6 today, and it was noticeably less awesome than when I left at 5:15. So let's shoot to be FIP at 5am!

Images reproduced from TopoFusion

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts