Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sun Valley, Idaho was the next stop on the Pro-Leisure Tour. I had long heard of the buff-flowy goodness that lurks there and was eager to have some for myself. I rolled into town on Friday afternoon and headed to Smith to ride with some of the crew there. They took me out for the Fox-Chocolate ride, which was lovely.

I then went out to find a campsite, gab a well earned burger and beer at Lefty's and sleep the sleep of the just.

The next day I reported to work (Yes, I do work, thank you very much!) For a demo out at Greenhorn Gulch. It was a fun morning of getting people set on bikes and seeing big grins come rolling back to the trailhead. Grendel was his usual helpful self. After all bikes were back and stowed, I went for a little spin myself.

Up Greenhorn Gulch to take advantage of the shade, and then back down Imperial, which was merely stunning.

Isn't this the implicit promise of mountain biking?

Views of the Pioneer Range dominated the descent.

After that pleasant spin I drove down to the Big Wood River and went for a swim with Grendel, from there we proceeded out to the Idaho State Short track finals, just west of Hailey. Pics from that soon, but suffice to say, it was a great grass rootsy event, with everything from kids races to hotly contested adult races. And an awards ceremony afterwards. Good living in the valley.

The next day I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and headed out to Adams Gulch. Though there was a demo filling upmost of the day, the first order of business was to ride.We shuttled out to Baker Creek and rode up, up, up the East Fork road and descended through the burn area into Adams. T'was fantastic.

Much thanks to all of the great folks I met out there who made me feel so welcome in their little corner of paradise. I shall return.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You mtbrs out west are just spoiled senseless. That looks like an amazing place to be. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
anthonys thank you very much for those pics, very very nice. I've been able to ride there in the late summer, looks like I've got to get there a bit earlier for the full floral treatment.

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Are all the trails of that nature, or is there some technical stuff here and there?

All the pics are great, of course, but this one stands out to me. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
I'm with Nat.. Your photography continues to amaze. Damn, I was thinking the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was my next trip, but this Sun Valley looks the ticket.

Thanks 4 sharing.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I did a summer MTB road trip in 2002 through Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington and stopped in Sun Valley for 3 days. It was scorching hot and the trails were amazing, but one factor I forgot to consider was that Ketchum is at 5500' elevation and the mountains go up from there another 2500'+. My sea level lungs were hurting on anything that looked like a climb. I ran out of breath climbing out of bed. :D I can't imagine how pathetic that would have been if I'd have included a side trip to those 10,000' elevation trails in Colorado. :skep: So if you live at elevation, Sun Valley would be a breeze to adapt to, but anyone living near sea level might need a few days to acclimatize. :thumbsup:

On a side note, if you're near Ketchum, check out the Craters of the Moon National monument just a bit south east of Sun Valley, it's a pretty amazing place to see.

Attachments

·
Look out!
862 Posts
Very nice. Time for me to get back over there. Funny, with such epic riding within a short 3 hour drive I tend to bypass it. I need to get my head examined.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Are all the trails of that nature, or is there some technical stuff here and there?

All the pics are great, of course, but this one stands out to me. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:
Most are buff singletrack as anthony's pictures show. However, there are some trails (not as popular as the SV/Hailey trails) on the way up to Stanley that are more technical. Lots of babyheads which doesn't sound too technical until you try going through the stuff at a very high rate of speed....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.