Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up some lovely Sun Singletracks on hope Pro2 36h hubs. They are my new pride and joy (sad I know!), but I have run into a small issue. Trying to get the tyre to sit on them properly is a nightmare....in fact i haven't succeeded yet. I have heard that the singletracks are notoriously hard to put tyres onto and get them to sit properly, so any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Am going to buy some Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky 2.7's for a trip to France soon and need to get all the tips I can get before trying to get them on the rims.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Make sure the tire bead is in the center channel of the rim until you get the bead on all the way around. Then just use a lot of air pressure to get the beads to snap into place, and then back off the pressure to fit your riding style preferences.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tarekith said:
Make sure the tire bead is in the center channel of the rim until you get the bead on all the way around. Then just use a lot of air pressure to get the beads to snap into place, and then back off the pressure to fit your riding style preferences.
This statement is of utmost importance with Sun rims. Well at least with the rhyno lites and STs that I've dealt with. Not getting your tire into the well in the middle of the rim will cause the tire to be near impossible to remove. Getting it into the channel will make it so the tire can be removed with your fingers. (okay - that may be a stretch)

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Rim strips?
I found after I changed from plastic rim strips (which were wider than the Singletrack's center channel and made it difficult to push the bead into the channel), to 2-3 layers of fiberglass tape just in the channel, mounting DH tires is easier now.

Like was mentioned, once they're mounted, pump the pressure to ~50psi and they should seat nicely, then drop it to whatever you ride at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.