Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with these? I like the price of the Azonic Outlaws but I don't like the weight. These are a hair cheaper than the outlaws and they are lighter. I have read that the Outlaws are 2500 grams for the set, while these are around 1900 grams.

I also like the Eason Havoc wheels but they are $100 more expensive and are a hair lighter than the STR8 Tracks. They are hand built, though, and I can put them on my XC ride with the QR adapters.

Also, I will normally run 2.3s on them but I want the option to run 2.1s for some local trails where the extra widith is not nessesary.

Opinions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to just order a set. I checked my build budget and I am approaching maximum. These are for a new build and All I'll need after the wheels is a seat post, a seat, and some headset spacers.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
UPS tracking shows them arriving here tomorrow. Hopefully they get here early cause it's my day off, and I'll have time to swap over the rotors and tires and take em for a spin on my fav trail.
I'll keep you posted as to what I think of them.
Word.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any Opinion Yet?

savagemann said:
UPS tracking shows them arriving here tomorrow. Hopefully they get here early cause it's my day off, and I'll have time to swap over the rotors and tires and take em for a spin on my fav trail.
I'll keep you posted as to what I think of them.
Word.
How do you like them so far? How do they compare in quality/performance to the Outlaws? I'm looking at the STR8 tracks too, but I've seen one possible negative post on their hub and nothing else. The Outlaws are proven, so I don't want to sacrifice performance for weight savings.

Not to pressure you, but I think there are a lot of people waiting to hear what your opinion is. Be our savage guide :cool:

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I was trying to hold out on posting until I got a good trail ride in on them......but since my boss has me working some serious overtime, that may not be possible for another week or so.
The wheels look sweet, and installed fine so I tested them out around town a couple times so far and my impression of them as of right now is that they rock. I've jumped em a little on the bike path, hopped up curbs and smashed up curbs as well.....and they are holding up nice to my almost 300lbs of mass.
I can't wait to get em on a trail ride. Maybe friday, unless I get called in for more overtime again.

·
Registered
784 Posts
savagemann said:
I was trying to hold out on posting until I got a good trail ride in on them......but since my boss has me working some serious overtime, that may not be possible for another week or so.
The wheels look sweet, and installed fine so I tested them out around town a couple times so far and my impression of them as of right now is that they rock. I've jumped em a little on the bike path, hopped up curbs and smashed up curbs as well.....and they are holding up nice to my almost 300lbs of mass.
I can't wait to get em on a trail ride. Maybe friday, unless I get called in for more overtime again.
It's a good thing you got those instead of the Easton Havoc because those only have 24 spokes that might not hold up to your 300lbs of mass.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
We've been running the str8 trac rear wheel on my GF's razzer for a while.

Great weight, good engagement for the price we paid. Good balance of weight and toughness for her.

Only issue is the cassettes seem to have play on Ringle freehub bodies and there's a bit of a notch worn into the body. Sicklines has a review on the A.D.D wheelset and highlights the isue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
RE: Sicklines review

-
-
I checked out the sicklines review, and it's for the Jumping flea rear hub. The STR8 tracks actually have the Dirty flea rear hub and Jumping flea front hub. What the difference is, I have no idea.

The reviewer mentioned the notches in the freehub body, but also said this is typical in any alloy freehub. I have seen this on my own freehubs even after little use. Pretty much the only way to avoid it is with a steel or titanium body.

The review issue was mainly with hub engagement, his opinion was that it wasn't quite as positive as it should be. I read about another possible engagement issue with the dirty flea hub. It's the only other thing I've found on these, so it may not even be real. Here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=322973&highlight=str8

Outlaws weigh about 3/4+ pound more, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a bunch of components for my Xeon build, so I'll probably end up getting Outlaws again. It's going to be a heavy bike with a heavy rider anyway. :rolleyes:

The STR8 tracks will probably end up being bullet proof, and cheaper than water, but I'll never know cause I'm an impatient f**k :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up ordering these and they got here last week. I ran them on the trail with a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1s at 42psi. It was a short ride that day (100deg with 90ish % humidity) of only a few miles but they performed well. I have no issues with the engagement of the rear hub.

nufenstein said:
Fyi The Skewers On This Wheelset Have Been Recalled!!!
Mine didn't come with a set. I picked up a new shimano QR skewer for the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.