Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
For me, a good wheel is also a wheel I can maintain. So I'd choose the one with a better hub and available maintenance parts and 32 J-bend spokes. IIRC, the Sun system wheels all have weird hubs and spokes. Also IIRC, the loose hubs, hub parts, and rims to maintain a BWW house-brand wheel are all available on their site. So I'd be leaning that way. Though TBH, I might choose a third option, which would be a wheel built entirely with parts available aftermarket, but from more established brands. For example, Sun rims on Shimano or DT hubs. If I remember pricing on those wheels correctly, that would cost about the same.

And no, I didn't click on either link. I'm carpooling to work and typing with my thumbs.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
For me, a good wheel is also a wheel I can maintain. So I'd choose the one with a better hub and available maintenance parts and 32 J-bend spokes. IIRC, the Sun system wheels all have weird hubs and spokes. Also IIRC, the loose hubs, hub parts, and rims to maintain a BWW house-brand wheel are all available on their site. So I'd be leaning that way. Though TBH, I might choose a third option, which would be a wheel built entirely with parts available aftermarket, but from more established brands. For example, Sun rims on Shimano or DT hubs. If I remember pricing on those wheels correctly, that would cost about the same.

And no, I didn't click on either link. I'm carpooling to work and typing with my thumbs.
The Black Flag Comp use standard J-bend Wheelsmith spokes and the hubs are their 3 pawl, 30 poe setup that they use in their aftermarket hubs. They are only 24 spoke and this would be the one pitfall here, though I've never heard of the reduced spoke count being an issue. So parts are actually quite available and Sun-Rngle (part of Hayes) is good about supplying parts. And they come ready for tubeless with tape, valves, and sealant.

I'm normally not a "factory wheel" guy but having owned a set of Chargers I can say first hand that the Sun-Ringle wheels are good and easy to work on.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Agree with Andrw.... I am in the same boat as I am looking to build another mtb (full sus this time) and am contemplating having something built for me, buying the BWW brand (as I have heard lots of good things about them and the price is reasonable), or building something myself.

There are pros and cons with each one and so it becomes a weighing of variables. For me, the main factor is going to be ease of parts and reliability (aside from compatibility). I have a set of handbuilt Stans Flow with Sapim double butted spokes, brass nipples, and Shimano M529 centerlock hubs. They have been great wheels and I love them but getting tires that are easily mountable and don't take a crowbar to get on/off the rim or cost a fortune is the one major downfall.

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
Eww. No. Those deore hubs are awful and weigh a ton. 717's are almost impossible to set up tubeless.

Do yourself a favor and buy the sun wheels, because when you want to go tubeless they will set up very easily. If you don't want to go tubeless now, thats fine. You will eventually and it's fairly difficult with the bww rims and very difficult with the 717s.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
It takes a little time.

I've done fine with Shimano's 400-level hubs, but it's true that their 400 and 500 level stuff is rarely an upgrade.

I remember your other thread - do you actually need new wheels? Given your overall bike budget, replacing functional wheels may not be a good allocation of money.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It takes a little time.

I've done fine with Shimano's 400-level hubs, but it's true that their 400 and 500 level stuff is rarely an upgrade.

I remember your other thread - do you actually need new wheels? Given your overall bike budget, replacing functional wheels may not be a good allocation of money.
Yea that's one of my problems, the wheels I have now untrue almost every ride.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
They might be time-limited as they are marked "Snow" coupons. It must be a long time since southern CA had snow. Heck, all ours in Ontario Canada has left us.
Maybe at Mammoth?

Team form came out; think I'll do that. Lets me do DT RR465s and Ultegra instead of Mavic Open Pros and 105. The team thing is kind of funny - most of time, it's a wash vs. internet pricing. But now and then I'll find out what the going price is for a tire I like or the retail version of my shorts and be a little shocked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.