Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on whether the extra money is worth it for the experts over the comp versions.

Straight pull spokes vs J bend, and slightly less weight for the experts, not sure about the bearings.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Pros get straight pull spokes. Experts nor Comps do not. I believe bearings are the same for Expert and Comps. And the only real benefit of the Experts now is the convertible rear hub. The Comps are only QR. I've been running the 2011 Experts (now labeled as Comps) for 3 years now and still love them, especially if you can find them under $300.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
Wait for the Comps to go on sale at Nashbar for $200. Totally worth it. Comes with sealant, tape, skewers, valves and all the end caps for qr, 15mm ta, 20mm. (front only). Sweet deal. If you don't care too much about the extra weight, go with the Comps, especially in the $200 price range.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Wait for the Comps to go on sale at Nashbar for $200. Totally worth it. Comes with sealant, tape, skewers, valves and all the end caps for qr, 15mm ta, 20mm. (front only). Sweet deal. If you don't care too much about the extra weight, go with the Comps, especially in the $200 price range.
I got this deal and this is a great set for the money. Tire setup took five minutes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems the only difference is as follows,
Expert has Straight Pull so should be a stiffer wheel, spokes harder to come by though
Save some weight with the Experts but not significant
Neither set has a convertible rear hub, QR only

yeah the nashbar deal is great, watch no more 20% off now that the season is here

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Pros get straight pull spokes. Experts nor Comps do not. I believe bearings are the same for Expert and Comps. And the only real benefit of the Experts now is the convertible rear hub. The Comps are only QR. I've been running the 2011 Experts (now labeled as Comps) for 3 years now and still love them, especially if you can find them under $300.
Expert has been strait pull spokes since 2012, also has an alloy freehub body for a small amount of reduced weight.

Bike Wagon has the experts (OEM so no valves or extra end caps) with 15mm front axle and 135mm rear for $275

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Got the Sunringle Charger Comps on my SS and and yep the hubs make a loud ratcheting sound. Setting up for tubeless was simple. First time doing it and had no problems.
They do use Stans hoops.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
went with the comps, only question is the hubs seem loud, is that normal for them.
I have posted on this before. They are really loud, especially on a carbon frame.
I have had 100% success with taking off the freehub, cleaning it and putting a pea sized glob of "Lucas Red and Tacky" grease on and under each pawl.

My bike is so quiet I surprised baby turkeys the other day. I also see many more deer, coyotes, foxes and whatever.

I am now well over 2000 miles, no problems.

sent remotely

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have posted on this before. They are really loud, especially on a carbon frame.
I have had 100% success with taking off the freehub, cleaning it and putting a pea sized glob of "Lucas Red and Tacky" grease on and under each pawl.
Very much interested in doing this to my new experts I just installed on a carbon hardtail.

I know you say "Lucas Red and Tacky", but do you think most any quality general bike grease would work?

Also, just to make sure i know exactly what I'm doing.. On the rear wheel, I'm removing the adapter, and then removing the silver thing (not sure what it's called) and that's when the inner hub slides out and you can see three little prongs/pawls which obviously make the clicking noise and then put a peas sized dab of grease just below each one?

Sorry if I'm being redundant, just trying not to get right the first time for once.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Charger Expert freehub died after 900km. The ring type spring that pushes the pawls out broke so the pawls cannot engage. Luckily I was just a half an hour walk from home. It is a very bad design and even if it will be replaced under warranty I won't be able to trust in it 100%. I would need to take a spare spring and the tools for removing the cassette and freehub to my rides to be able to replace it if it happens again which is no way.
All the other freehubs I saw had separate springs under each pawl that make it impossible to break down as this one.

IMG_0552.JPG

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Experts came with my Canyon Strive but now I'm running on Hope/Arch EX that I bought as an upgrade for my other bike. They are rock solid from day one and I'll use them as primary wheel set for the Strive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts