Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Sun Cr18 rims with a Shimano M475 rear and a Specialized Stout front. I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset, and eventually my brakes to hydro disc. I have Tektro V Rim Brakes.

I found this set on Jenson for $199 with RT-53 rotors. Is this a decent deal? Would it be a big upgrade to what I have now?

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
eh...you can better for the same or a bit more.

I've had that set with the normal 5 bolt hubs and ditched them while I had the chance.

Built me a set of SUn Single Track with Sun Hubs and DT Swiss spokes.

Rims were on special at Universal Cycles for $18 EACH...how can you beat that?

SunRingle 20mm front hub $50 shipped from Ebay....just be careful who you buy from. It was used but MINT. Seek out the upgrade whores especially guys that work at bike shops...they're always selling TOP NOTCH gear.

I'm still flip flopping on the rea hub. It'll be a HOPE or SUN.

DT Swiss spokes and nipples aren't that expensive.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
Almost forgot....Lace the wheels up yourself and bring them to a bike shop and have them trued up.

I've purchased 2 sets of premade wheels that were supposedly CUSTOM built especially for me that were not true and not tensioned evenly....thats BEYOND BIKES for you. STAY AWAY!

I DO NOT trust that any wheel I don't personally place into my car and carefully drive home with.

All the more reason to build your own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.