Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: 185lbs, 5'11". Bike: Giant VT.

I do a lot of FR-type stuff in PA. Not really hucking off anything over 3 feet, but within 3 weeks I've managed to taco the Sun XC rims that came on the bike (bought used from someone who wanted it light as possible) beyond repair.

Recently paid a little over $110 at a local dealer to put a Mavic F219 Disc on the front. On Saturday I destroyed the back rim doing a 2-foot wheelie drop, and all my friends ride on Rhyno Lites and are suggesting I go with one of those ($65 mounted with heavy guage spokes). I'll go with durability over weight any day. Should I go with the Rhyno Lite?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I would go with another 219. should be as strong or stronger than the Rhyno Lite and you will not struggle to mount and remove tires. $110 sounds high to me for rebuilding on your hub. $85-90 would be more reasonable.

·
..probably out riding..
182 Posts
Yeah, go with the rhyno lites. I haven't found a more durable rim for the money. I'll use em till they don't make em anymore. I used to always screw up my rims, it got to be expensive, LBS suggested rhynolite, they were right. I'm 175 lbs. I even bought a backup pair.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
I have both, go with the rhynos

m2k said:
Me: 185lbs, 5'11". Bike: Giant VT.

I do a lot of FR-type stuff in PA. Not really hucking off anything over 3 feet, but within 3 weeks I've managed to taco the Sun XC rims that came on the bike (bought used from someone who wanted it light as possible) beyond repair.

Recently paid a little over $110 at a local dealer to put a Mavic F219 Disc on the front. On Saturday I destroyed the back rim doing a 2-foot wheelie drop, and all my friends ride on Rhyno Lites and are suggesting I go with one of those ($65 mounted with heavy guage spokes). I'll go with durability over weight any day. Should I go with the Rhyno Lite?

Thanks.
I have a set of 219 wheels and a set of Rhyno Lites. So far, pretty head to head in terms of strength and maintanence. But I build my own wheels so cost is a more noticed factor. And considering both wheels seem to do equally well, go with the rhynos because they can be had mail order for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of 219's (or their current iteration of the rim).

REEK

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Personally having had to constantly retrue wheels built with rhynolites, i'm not a fan of them. The rim really isn't a freeride rim. Its barely an "all-mountain" rim. Its the biggest bit of missleading naming of a rim I've seen in ages, and is also a pet peeve rim name of mine.

See, years ago, Sun had this beefy DH rim called the Rhyno. Well the Rhyno was a semi-aero profile, 26mm width, thick walled rim that weighed about 740g. Well this is still the time period when DH riders were trying to keep the weights down somewhat, so it was a poor selling rim being that heavy. So sun released the so-called "rhyno lite", which was a completely different rim design. It was 27.5mm wide, rectangular profile, and 550 grams. So wider than the rhyno, different profile, and thinner extrusion. Its essentially just a wide XC rim. Not a "lightened" DH rim. But because its cheap, has the rhyno name association, and is wide, it sees a heavy spec on lower price level freeride bikes and urban bikes (hardtail and full suspension).

I'd look into another Mavic rim, or track down something with a better rim profile like a Sun Singletrack.You're on a VT right so you're using disc brakes anyways, so a rim brake rim is just a waste of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.