Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for Geolover et al.

I set up my dhx 5.0 air with about .6 inch sag. That works out to be about %25. But when I ride it it feels decidedly XC. How much sag should I target for dh and Fr, 30-35%? More?
Thanks,

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
jimbones said:
Here's one for Geolover et al.

I set up my dhx 5.0 air with about .6 inch sag. That works out to be about %25. But when I ride it it feels decidedly XC. How much sag should I target for dh and Fr, 30-35%? More?
Thanks,
Jim

How's the bike?

I use 30% (.75") minimum. Usually between 30 and 40%. I do find that the dhx air bottoms quite easily...I currently am using a Roco R air, but am having difficulty achieving full travel...so, I am going to order a small canister for my dhx and put the dhx air back on.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Never found a setup for DHX-A that felt plush. I may have been using too much BO adj (maxed). Didin't have choice since it bottomed so dang easily, though, not harshly. Ran 25-33% sag, minimum propedal, 90-150 psi boost, rebound in the middle, & BO always all the way in.

Using Swinger 4 way air shock and it's far superior shock. Plush and rarely bottom.

When I was swapping shock, I took a measurement on DHX-A. It had became 8.25x2.25 shock. Stuck down symptom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Geo and STH,
The bike is good, but rides a lot differently than I expected. Not bad, just different, like a XC bike. My Balfa is quite a dh/FR bike and I was hoping to take the Supermo to some of the same places. I will experiment with set up on the shock.

Also I have a 6 inch fork. I was thinking of 7inch. What do you think?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
7" will be fine but BB height will get very tall unless you run much sag. My Sumo is at 14.5-14.7" BB height on 6" (540mm a2c) fork. With 30% sag at both ends bike does not feel tall, however. BB height is personal preference, anywho.

With proper shock, your SuMo will be insanley plush. DHX-A is the only limiting factor when it comes to your rear end plushness. Plenty of cheap Swinger coil or air shock on Ebay...just stay away from 6way.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
7" will be fine but BB height will get very tall unless you run much sag. My Sumo is at 14.5-14.7" BB height on 6" (540mm a2c) fork. With 30% sag at both ends bike does not feel tall, however. BB height is personal preference, anywho.

With proper shock, your SuMo will be insanley plush. DHX-A is the only limiting factor when it comes to your rear end plushness. Plenty of cheap Swinger coil or air shock on Ebay...just stay away from 6way.
STH, fwiw my SuMo with 6" fork is 13.75" (13.9" w/7" fork). Ancient chinese secret :thumbsup: .

Also, you could get "plusher" with a coil shock...just depends on your weight to plush ratio ;) .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK this is wierd. my BB is 14.25 inch (floor to center of crank arm) wit the 6 inch fork. It is actually lower than my Balfa. Geolover, why that much of a difference between yours and mine. (Chinese Secret?) I am using the new link also.

Jim

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
jimbones said:
OK this is wierd. my BB is 14.25 inch (floor to center of crank arm) wit the 6 inch fork. It is actually lower than my Balfa. Geolover, why that much of a difference between yours and mine. (Chinese Secret?) I am using the new link also.

Jim
Tires?

AC hieght with diffrent fork?...

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
jimbones said:

Jim
Jim

Is your new coffin rocker connected to the proper hole on your frame? It should be mounted to a different one than your stock rocker. Check this thread for proper placement: LINKY

It should be mounted like the setup in the following picture (courtesy of LAKESNAKE):
View attachment superoption_1mono.bmp

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so I remounted the rear shock in the right hole and the BB is now 13.75. (floor to c/l of crank) I adjusted the dhx air for 7/8 inch sag and it is pressurized with 160lbs of air. (I weight 190lbs) Does this sound bout right?
BTW the HA really slackened.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
jimbones said:
OK so I remounted the rear shock in the right hole and the BB is now 13.75. (floor to c/l of crank) I adjusted the dhx air for 7/8 inch sag and it is pressurized with 160lbs of air. (I weight 190lbs) Does this sound bout right?
Sounds pretty close to what I use...7/8" = 35% sag. Pretty squishy. Might pedal better with less sag, though....just a FYI.

BTW the HA really slackened.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Actually, I was unaware that the HA changed. :confused: Interesting.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
jimbones said:
OK so I remounted the rear shock in the right hole...
Hmmm, just went and checked out my SuMo and it was also in the 6" travel hole :rolleyes: . Switched it to the 7" and remeasured...no change in BB height (13.9 w/7" fork). Noticeably more squishy though :thumbsup: . I'll have to revisit the PSI in the rear shock with the change in leverage ratio.

Can't wait to ride again. It's now been 6+ weeks....only another 4-6 weeks to go :madman: .

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
jimbones said:
Why haven't you been riding?:eekster:
Broke my hand (and a few ribs) riding my Sunday on a shuttle run about 6 weeks ago (probably wouldn't of happened on my SuMo ;) ). Had surgery on the hand 3 weeks after that to set the bone (5th metacarpal) with a few screws. Doc says serious off-road riding should happen in August.

I actually took the SuMo for a little neighborhood shakedown yesterday. Only a 10 minute road/path ride, but it was a blast.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Evolver ISX!!!

I Had a SuMo as my "one and only" bike for a few years. From Crested Butte climbs to Bootleg DH races! 7x7, 37lbs!!!

What I would suggest - if you want to stay with an air shock and it's in the budget - is a Manitu Evolver ISX!!! I have one on my El Guapo, and it's wondeful! It does NOT feel like an air shock I've ever had/tried.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
I Had a SuMo as my "one and only" bike for a few years. From Crested Butte climbs to Bootleg DH races! 7x7, 37lbs!!!

What I would suggest - if you want to stay with an air shock and it's in the budget - is a Manitu Evolver ISX!!! I have one on my El Guapo, and it's wondeful! It does NOT feel like an air shock I've ever had/tried.
I have been thinking about picking up an Evolver for my Motolite. I have seen them as low as $300. Was it difficult getting it to fit? Also, you imply the shock has a unique feel? Can you expand on this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have to stay with an air shock. It seems that some riders don't like the dhx. I will try tuning it and see if it works for me. Only then will I try an alternative. I just want to make sure I get something that fits correctly.

Geo, Too bad dude. I'm sorry to hear that you ar busted up, I was injured last season so I can only imagine...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Isx-6

Vespasianus said:
... you imply the shock has a unique feel? Can you expand on this?
No implication - I'm flat out saying it :D . It's a different shock from any air I've used - which is most of the popular ones. It has mid-stroke support, more like a coil, but not like a coil. It's been almost a year and I'm still surprised sometimes!

I'm being paged by the missus... gotta run.

Search under ISX and you find many comments / descriptions.

Here's one: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263792

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.