Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes you start a ride expecting to be out for only a little while. Sometimes you go a little further than you think... Sometimes you end up on your bike for 10 hours... ugh.

We headed out of Copper Mountain up Vail Pass intending on doing an out and back up the CO Trail towards Searle Pass... well, the route isn't as I remembered... (did they reroute the CO Trail there?? I think the last time I climbed that gulch there was a connector to it right off the Vail Pass bike path) and we missed it... so we decided to head up Wilder Gulch... then to Ptarmigan Pass, Camp Hale, Kokomo Pass, Searle Pass, and back to Copper... ouch. We had quite a few breaks, a number of flats/mechanicals, and a lot of snow crossings... 10 hours door to door is pretty rough. But we had a great time!

Leading the way up Wilder Gulch...

Wee log crossing...

brettf just screwing around...

More...

Small waterfall a small distance up the CO Trail from Camp Hale... headed towards Kokomo Pass...

Stopped somewhere while still climbing towards Kokomo...

There was a fair amount of pushing... can you tell how steep it is? Camera takes some angle away from it....

Wait... could it be Peanut-Butter-Jelly Time? Getting out jelly laden sandwich during a quick break...

Onwards... the CO Trail climbs past treeline towards Kokomo Pass

A little snow near the top of Kokomo Pass... BTW - one of the most scenic basins I've been in recently. This is just South of Machine Gun Ridge for those of you keeping score...

Kokomo Pass summit... looking towards Climax Moly mine... note that the sign says 4.2 miles to Camp Hale... the Camp Hale sign said 5.1 to Kokomo Pass... hmm...

Still smiling... break time for the world's best quesadilla!

Another rest... note that there are a lot of non-action shots... too tired to hustle around for the shot... just plop down and pull out the camera wherever I am.

The clouds throwing some shadows on the trail we are about to descend...

Our last high point, Searle Pass, seen as the low point in the ridge closest...(left of center)

The last snow crossing up to the pass summit...

Me getting some fresh tracks in the snow! Sick bro-brah...

The girls finish the push to the pass summit.

That poor bike... my Blur saw a blown shifter cable and a lot of snow and mud during this ride...

The bikes... looking towards the North...

Finally going downhill!

More....

More smiles, ready to finish the blazing descent with no more snow fields to cross! Note the Searle Pass summit as the low point in the background on the ridge.

The new Cove, still Hustlin' and sparklin'...

Mid-blaze down the CO trail below Searle Pass and Janet's Cabin... headed towards Copper Mountain

More fun!

Riding in some afternoon sun...

More...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Sweet! High time to head up high.... fantastic pix, and cool when a "bad" day like that is so good, eh?

And if the question were posed, "why live out west...?" Here would be a great answer:

brettf said:
The endless horizons and crystal-clear high alpine above tree-line air.... *ahhhhhhh*

nice post!

glen

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
My favorite ride from last year's Colorado MTBR Gathering was headed to Searle Pass. Lots of those pictures reminded me of that ride. That's a burly ride you guys put together!

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
brettf said:
Sometimes you start a ride expecting to be out for only a little while. Sometimes you go a little further than you think... Sometimes you end up on your bike for 10 hours... ugh.
I sure wouldn't 10 hours in that. nice stuff.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Now that is a burly ride. Superb shots as well. That section from Kokomo Pass back up to Searle Pass can sure feel a lot longer than the 3.1 miles alludes, too. And the descent from Searle to Janet's Cabin is fantastic, too. Good effort!

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nat, I'm notorious for being WAY off with estimates like that, but I'm guessing between 4K and 5K climbing... maybe 25 miles? Could have been bigger miles as the 10 from Kokomo to Copper felt really short compared to the descent to Camp Hale plus the climb to Kokomo... but that's all just guessing.

I will hopefully have a chance to get a better figure using that Topo! software in the next couple of days. Check back if you are still interested.

Brett

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It's crazy to see you guys crossing snow, since it's been in the 105F range here for the past week. Last two days have been a pleasant 95F since the thunderclouds rolled in, but still yet to see the forcasted thunderstorms- unless you count the 3 or 4 raindrops that fell yesterday afternoon! :)

Great ride...

BM

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Yup they did reroute the CT at Copper Mountain. Rather than going up the Vail Pass bike path you climb up one of the service roads running up Copper and the CT connects there. You probably discovered the reroute on your way back into Copper. Where do you pickup Wilder Gulch?

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nat, if you are still interested, I finally got around to getting the TOPO! software up and running. It looks like it was about 30 miles and 5,200' of climbing...

While I've been on longer rides before with similar amounts of climbing, I think the snow and mud took a toll on me... I'd like to go back and do this later in the summer or fall and blaze through it and see how much faster I can do it without snow/mud and being in better shape...

Here's a backward elevation profile since I'm an idiot and don't know how to make this work... so it goes from right to left...

Edit: yes, jasonb, we did discover how it was rerouted as we came back into Copper. Interesting reroute. The TOPO software shows the trail head directly up the Guller(?) Creek drainage, which is how I remembered it. I was a little bummed out to not descend the rest of it since I remember really enjoying it. But the Copper reroute is probably a lot more sustainable. So actually, the mileage and climbing will be slightly off since I had to just eyeball it... the numbers will be slightly lower than actual... but whatever... at least I have an idea of how big the ride really was. It is always interesting to see actuals vs my 'ohmygod it was so epic' sense of the ride after finishing. :)

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jasonb said:
Yup they did reroute the CT at Copper Mountain. Rather than going up the Vail Pass bike path you climb up one of the service roads running up Copper and the CT connects there. You probably discovered the reroute on your way back into Copper. Where do you pickup Wilder Gulch?
Oh, yeah, we picked up Wilder Gulch just off the Vail Pass bike path. There is a well marked turnoff maybe a mile (probably more like 1/2 mile) East of the Vail Pass exit. It heads West there under the highway and slowly climbs up what is a fairly faint trail at first. We eventually connected with the road up to Ptarmigan Pass at Wearyman-Wilder junction.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
brettf said:
Nat, if you are still interested, I finally got around to getting the TOPO! software up and running. It looks like it was about 30 miles and 5,200' of climbing...

While I've been on longer rides before with similar amounts of climbing, I think the snow and mud took a toll on me... I'd like to go back and do this later in the summer or fall and blaze through it and see how much faster I can do it without snow/mud and being in better shape
That's a big ride any which way you cut it. Nice work! Don't forget about the altitude playing its part! And the solar rays...they work against you too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.