Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be camping with friends at Lake Dillon next weekend, June 19-21. Can anyone provide information on some classic high-country trails in the area? Is the Lenawee Trail open? How about the Colorado Trail running east to Georgia Pass or west to Kokomo Pass? Any recommendations for alternative rides if the above trails are too snowy / muddy? Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
lginzkey said:
I'll be camping with friends at Lake Dillon next weekend, June 19-21. Can anyone provide information on some classic high-country trails in the area? Is the Lenawee Trail open? How about the Colorado Trail running east to Georgia Pass or west to Kokomo Pass? Any recommendations for alternative rides if the above trails are too snowy / muddy? Thanks!
Um they are probably not going to be snowy, but mud is another thing. We have been gettin a lot of rain, almost everyday for like 2 weeks. I can report that it did not rain today. I hear it's suppose to stop finally. Since low trails here in summit are wet, my guess is the higher ones are super muddy, I have not been mountain biking because the trails are drenched. If it stops raining they may be dry by then. I have not been on those trails..

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Trails above 10,500 - 11,000 depending on aspect are going to have a snow drifts. Getting towards treeline there is going to be a lot of snow. The trails here have been taking a beating by over eager mountain bikers. You can ride some trails but they are going to have muddy spots. Ride through mud puddles, not around and walk - preferably on the tread surface - sections that have extended mud or water. If you aren't willing to walk through the mud on the tread, then walk well around the trail. The whole idea is to not widen single track. Otherwise, find a dry trail, road ride, or do something else and come back when it's a bit dryer.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would expect the high stuff to be snowy, especially in the trees. I rode up vail mountain yesterday and the trail got pretty snowy around game creek bowl (grand traverse). I was post holing up to my knees walking over the drifts. This was around 11k.
Cheers!
Jon

·
Registered
547 Posts
Lenawee no chance
Colorado Trail to Georgia Pass no chance
Peaks no chance
Two Elks forget it

Expect to be riding back ranch loops, or low stuff in Breck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts