Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride in cooler weather I wear either a long sleeve or short sleeve base layer which keeps me warmer. In hotter weather will wearing a light weight sleeveless base layer keep me cooler? Generally, more layers means warmer, but I've lately read that the summer weight base layer can be cooler. Have any of you tried these summer base layers?

·
Colorado
410 Posts
I've tried it, but the concept of wearing more clothes in hot weather in an attempt to stay cool has never worked for me. That said, I know some guys who swear by it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Depends on your climate. Works much better, the lower the humidity is. Around here, where 90% humidity is the norm in the mornings and afternoons... it's just an extra layer of wet blankets IME.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
In Arizona some riders like sun sleeves. These are white sleeves that are supposed to breath well, but keep the sun off your arms. They sort of look like arm warmers. I have never tried them. For me it just chamois and short sleeve jersey and that is all. However I try to avoid the peak heat of Az summers so rarely ride after 8:30 am in the summer or before dusk. Still we are already in the low 80's right now.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I wear base layers year 'round, just some Target-brand wicking SS in the summer even when it's 95 degrees plus.
My jerseys aren't skin tight so the base layer helps with sweating by wicking away moisture, and when crashing, lets you slide more. At least on the road. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts