Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

As the title states, I've planned a trip to BC for 8 days in late June, early July. I'm trying to figure out how to split my time between Squamish and Whistler. I was lucky enough to ride a couple days in Squamish about 4 years ago. Loved half nelson and psuedo tsuga (rode others but can't remember the names). I've only skied whistler.

I would consider myself an intermediate/advanced rider. I enjoy everything except super techy and massive gap jumps (double blacks aren't for me). I know I'll want to do a few lift days at whistler but am also interested in the other trails in the area. My wife will be with me and she is a very solid intermediate rider. Her favorite are the machine cut flow trails. We both are bringing our spot mayhem 29ers, 140/130mm travel bikes.

I'm trying to figure out how to split my time. I know both locations are a little less than an hours drive from each other and we've discussed just staying in one location the entire trip, too.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Probably best bet is to stay in Whistler, day trip or two to squamish, also means you can head out to Pemberton (~30 minutes north) for a ride too. Whistler just has so much more going for it than staying in squamish, if you stay in or close to the village you'll never need to drive except for leaving town.

Could maybe even figure it out without a car if flying into Vancouver, shuttle options can take bike bags, not totally sure on best ways to do rides in squamish and Whistler but there's the 'shred shuttle' between Whistler and squamish and some of the bike tour companies (like Arbutus Routes) in Whistler go to pemby and squamish too.

If there's big savings to be had staying in squamish could be alright too. I met a group a couple years ago that stayed a couple nights each in Whistler/squamish/pemby and said they would've rather just stayed in Whistler the duration.

·
Dirty minded
568 Posts
Subscribed.
Also looking for input on a Squamish/Whistler/Pemby trip including info on ability to shuttle some of the Pemberton trails.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Subscribed.
Also looking for input on a Squamish/Whistler/Pemby trip including info on ability to shuttle some of the Pemberton trails.
More people pedal up the trails, but Mackenzie fsr accesses a lot of trails and is a pretty good dirt road for trucks and SUVs. Have been up in a beater saturn 2wd car before too was fine.

·
Dirty minded
568 Posts
Thanks for the condition of the fsr info, you never know how drivable a decommissioned fsr is until you get there.
We always pedal everything locally, but when on vacation its really nice to be able reap the rewards of a few shuttle laps.
It looks like this trip will likely be the 1st week of August, any input on if Pemberton / Whistler is worth riding during that time of year?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah good time. Peak summer so can be busy, hot and dry then. But weather is always unpredictable, last summer was wetter than usual. Top of the world and lord of the squirrels in Whistler should be good to go then too. Pemby is hotter and drier than whistler, I usually don't ride there much in July and August.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
If you do all your Whistler stuff before the 5th and then travel around to Pembie and Squamish after Crankworx starts it should be good, it doesn't seem that the Crankworx crowd shows up many days in advance. And the big spectator crowds are there for the big slopestyle events toward the end of the event.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Crankworx is fun to be around for, but it's busy and hotel prices are high, and that first weekend when the enduro events are on has the most trail closures too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm planning on a trip out there with my son.
Arrive July 27 or 28. Leave August 7. So we could see some of the EndurWe were thinking Bellingham for a couple of days then up to Squamish. Day trip to Whistler as needed depending on weather. Quite a bit cheaper in Squamish.

Is Whistler that much better to stay in than Squamish?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Depends on priorities I guess.

Pros for squamish;
-Cheaper accommodations
-Equal if not better trail riding(depending what you like)
-More low key, normal kind of place
-world class rock climbing and hikes around too

Cons;
-Depending where you stay might be driving to the trail heads
-40 minute drive each way to whistler, paid parking in Whistler village gets full at busy times, (creekside is an option too though free and never fills up in summer)
-Not as much for bars/restaurants/shopping etc but still enough.

Pros for Whistler;
-don't need to drive to anything if you're staying in or close to the village
-lots to see and do for time off bike or people not biking, nice lakes close to the village
-bike park!
-good trail riding as well but on average it's more technical
-lots and lots of restaurants bars shops night life

Cons for Whistler
-expensive
-can be busy around town (especially at big events) and some people don't like the resort feel
-did I mention expensive especially peak summer July/August
-depending what kind of riding you like could make an argument that squamish has better trails (both great) but whistler has the bike park

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
For *ME* personally, the only reason to stay in Squamish is if you prefer to ride down there more than Whistler. We personally ride 2 days in Squamish and stay down there 1 night on our way up to 10 days in Whistler. I'm not even a "park" rider but Whistler is a different animal; the Village and being able to get everywhere on foot or bike is also a game changer for me.

Now I can't speak for the pricing for lodging as you get close to Crankworx because we leave before it starts. This year we'll bail out of town on the 25th. We also ride Bellingham on the way up to Squamish but might try Leavenworth this year, we're still mapping out the plans for our road tour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 14yo son and I are advanced intermediates in the East. We can ride most bike park features, but the World Cup DH course at Windham is a rough go. We ride 150/140 Commencal Meta TR29 for me and a Stumpjumper 27.5 for my son.

We hit most of the jumps at Mountain Creek and like flow trails. I like more technical stuff than he does. I’m fine with climbing, him, not as much, but he’s excited at the idea of riding out west.

Our current plan is to fly to Seattle and stay in Bellingham for 3 days.
Then Squamish, chiefly for cost savings. My wife has us on a budget. We’ll be there from July 31 to August 7. We have no problem driving up to Whistler.

We figure our bikes will be fine on the jump trails as we run 36s up front and the trails are well built. As for tech, we have a limit that our. Bikes can handle.

Suggestions for splitting the time between Squamish and Whistler?

We head to Vancouver and Vancouver Island and then Olympic National Park once wife/mom shows up. Ideas for rides there?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My family and I moved away from the area 3 years ago, but go back for July. I tend to still be working (traveling back and forth), so the split between Vancouver Island, North Van, Squamish, and Whistler needs to be tight.

Vancouver Island: We stay with family near Parksville. Further north (Courtney) may be better. If I get 3 of the following areas in 3-4 days I’m happy: Parksville, Courtney/ Comox, Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Mt Washington, Campbell River. Typically not tough days.

Squamish: 2 days is plenty. Days are moderate.

Whistler: My kids love the park, so we are usually there for a week, but I need 2 valley days, 1 Blackcomb day (2 laps), & 1 Pemberton. The park? I can take it or leave it, but usually do a day with my daughter. It’s a mix between tough days and moderate.

Not on your list, but I also try to get in a day or 2 in the Fraser Valley, and a couple on the N Shore.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
We hit most of the jumps at Mountain Creek and like flow trails. I like more technical stuff than he does. I’m fine with climbing, him, not as much, but he’s excited at the idea of riding out west.

Our current plan is to fly to Seattle and stay in Bellingham for 3 days.
Then Squamish, chiefly for cost savings. My wife has us on a budget. We’ll be there from July 31 to August 7. We have no problem driving up to Whistler.

We figure our bikes will be fine on the jump trails as we run 36s up front and the trails are well built. As for tech, we have a limit that our. Bikes can handle.

Suggestions for splitting the time between Squamish and Whistler?

We head to Vancouver and Vancouver Island and then Olympic National Park once wife/mom shows up. Ideas for rides there?

Thanks everyone.
If you only have 7 days, I'd do no more than 2 days in Bellingham, 2 days in Squamish and 3 days in Whistler. It sounds like your son may even want a 4th day in Whistler and lose a day in Squamish because you earn every DH in Squamish with a climb. Your bikes are 100% for everywhere you plan to ride. Yeah, there's a lot of people are full on DH bikes at Whistler but I actually had more fun on my 27.5 Tracer and rode it everywhere...park, Lord of the Squirrels, valley trails, etc ...

·
Registered
507 Posts

Thanks everyone.
Vancouver; ride the shore! Fromme and Seymour.

Vancouver Island; there's good spots all over depends where you're going (the island is big!). Victoria, Sooke, Duncan Nanaimo, Parksville, Cumberland, all have good places to ride in/around them. Tofino's a hot spot for visitors but not much for riding out there, unless there's something I don't know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts