Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
ride better, ride faster
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trailadvent said:
Great shotz inzane, ilmp not on this trip?

I can almost taste the mtn water in those streams ah got to get back down there! I do miss the tussock in them there mtns :thumbsup: enjoy keep em coming over summer, def some good 5spot country up there, bit of wharf in there huh?
No, ilmp was not with us. The flickr photos have some Warfedale shots from last time I was out there with ilmp (including one of ilmp halfway down a bank with his bike :)), but it will just be the fact that a lot of south island beech forest trails look similar that will be making it look like Warfedale. The mission I was on is a lot more technical riding and involves a fair bit of hike-a-bike.

There will still be some of that mountain water in my camelbak. I doubt it is tasting quite as fresh as yesterday by now tho!! ;)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
inzane said:
No, ilmp was not with us. The flickr photos have some Warfedale shots from last time I was out there with ilmp (including one of ilmp halfway down a bank with his bike :)), but it will just be the fact that a lot of south island beech forest trails look similar that will be making it look like Warfedale. The mission I was on is a lot more technical riding and involves a fair bit of hike-a-bike.

There will still be some of that mountain water in my camelbak. I doubt it is tasting quite as fresh as yesterday by now tho!! ;)
Ahh well he slacked off huh :D

Yeah the SI is timeless and has a habit of all looking similar but stunning! haha will have to look up that one of ilmp :D

Yeah Southerners are tough as hell, you're all bought up on goat turd Ive gotten soft up here dam it:rolleyes: Can ya take a dog up in that country, or are they a little PC protective would love to get my boy on some extended long range trips eventually?

That Bullock Bow saddle looks pretty mean, bet it would fun coming down :thumbsup:

I hear ya on the water! :D

·
ride better, ride faster
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trailadvent said:
Ahh well he slacked off huh :D

Yeah the SI is timeless and has a habit of all looking similar but stunning! haha will have to look up that one of ilmp :D

Yeah Southerners are tough as hell, you're all bought up on goat turd Ive gotten soft up here dam it:rolleyes: Can ya take a dog up in that country, or are they a little PC protective would love to get my boy on some extended long range trips eventually?

That Bullock Bow saddle looks pretty mean, bet it would fun coming down :thumbsup:

I hear ya on the water! :D
I think ilmp was actually out riding the Warfedale with some others.

Not sure about dogs up in there. Possibly not?? It is in a state forest, so if you can find the rules of what is and is not allowed then you might find out. Here in NZ there is a blanket policy of no bikes in National Parks, but there are quite different rules on pieces of land designated as state forest.

Bullock Bow is just steep 4wd track. Good for a day out, but the beech forest singletrack is waaaaay more fun!!

·
ride better, ride faster
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rmac said:
Great pics. In the 5th picture (1st river pic) is that a granite slab in the background? If so, BZ will be chomping at the bit to roll it!:)
Nah, it is a scree slide. If you could be bothered getting to the top of it I am sure it would be fun to scoot down!! Trouble with scree is that for every step you take up the slope you tend to slide at least a step backwards in the soft shingle...

Next trip will be up the mountains to the right of this photo. There is about a 2000ft drop down a scree slope from the top of the hill to the saddle... supposed to be rather fun by bike ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great photos. I'm back in New Zealand now but my 5 Spot is languishing in the UK. Maybe I should get my brother to ship it over for me. I haven't ridden it for about two years though - shame on me.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
inzane said:
I think ilmp was actually out riding the Warfedale with some others.

Not sure about dogs up in there. Possibly not?? It is in a state forest, so if you can find the rules of what is and is not allowed then you might find out. Here in NZ there is a blanket policy of no bikes in National Parks, but there are quite different rules on pieces of land designated as state forest.

Bullock Bow is just steep 4wd track. Good for a day out, but the beech forest singletrack is waaaaay more fun!!
Let him off the hook then say Gday next time :thumbsup:

ahh hes all good will have to check it out get friendly with the rangers,I'll have him native as a protector by then, but I hear what ya saying, I'm the type that where I go I Iike to leave nothing and no one behind and the way I found it.

Respect the land hugely, no one would know I was even there! Still always check before going lots of places to go without ruining it for others!

I hear ya single track is def way more fun and the sun down there in the open can be a killer at that altitude, though I do like ripping through tussock until the OTB, how are the little flying dive bombers in the beech forest this time of year always forget till I get there! :D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Went of Arthur's Pass in 99 when I skied and mountain biked on the southern island.
New Zealand is beautiful and everyone's friendly. I loved it there. What stream are you crossing?
Skied Mt. Hutt the Remarkables and heli'd at Treble Cone. Mountain biked by Nelson.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.