Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was brainstorming for a friend about a versatile setup winter / summer combo bike.
Basically a pugs built up with the 50mm rims, then have a suspension fork and a normal normal dish front wheel for summer mountain biking. The rear tire would just be swapped from an endo to a normal 2.1 or something using the same wheel.

any thoughts? it would be for a light rider 110 lbs using a 16" pugs frame

The drawback would be a slightly heavier bike in "summer" mode but then you'd still have a sweet setup come winter. Does anyone have any experience with a suspension fork on a pugs that can comment on the geometry? is this stupid? cost is an issue - thus the pugs.
Thanks!
Eric

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Personally, if I had to stick to only one bike it would be my 29er. I'd rather pay the price in the winter and be limited to well-packed trails, in order to get the best riding on dirt. There are some wider 29er rim options out there that might help, and at 110 lbs I bet you could do pretty well on snow. Heck, even a more standard 26 inch bike with wide rims would be better, in my eyes.

I love riding my Pugs, but it is slow, heavy and steers like a cow. I'd find it really hard to ride it on dirt much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pugs with 29's

Pugs is my only bike. Endo's and 100's in the winter, Endos and Large Marge's in the summer (but I didn't have the 100's last summer, maybe 100's year-round). I happen to have a set of 29er rims with Nokian studs XT hubs and a set of 2.7 Wierwolfs for summer that are all available to become someone else's posessions, package or parts. The front wheel is laced for the Straight Surly front fork so it's symmetrical. Only about 50 miles on each set of tires. Suspension fork and 29's would be a killer combo on a Pug. I just like the way this bike rolls rigid on Endo's, summer, winter, whatever, but that's just me. More cushion for the pushin'.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Spoke

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
summer pug

if you want one bike to do it all the pug is it. this is my second one and i built it up so i could ride it in the summer also. my goal was to make it light..er than normal. mines 27lbs with the 29er wheels and 29lbs with the endos. i can drop about two pounds off if i change the seat and some other stuff, but i am happy with it. you need to build up 29er wheels for it for the summer. i dont think putting on smaller 26in tires would work out. im not 100% on the endo fork combo. the fork with the 29er wheel feels right. i think i need to add some air to the tires or the fork. i would love a carbon fork for the bike but havent found one wide enough yet. overall i am very happy with it. i think that for the money spent on the frame you cant go wrong. if i had the money i would get a ti frame that can handle both next time, the fatback, black sheep eon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.