Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Ride On!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought it might be a good idea (although depressing) to get a list together of the MTB trails lost/damaged so far this year, feel free to edit/add or correct, hopefully, while the scenery might take years to recover, the trails may be easier to salvage
  • Mt Hough
  • Flemming Meadows - Pollock Pines
  • Toads - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Armstrong (upper and lower) - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Corral - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Sidewinder - Tahoe/Meyers
Addendum: I hope this thread did not come off as callous and not appreciating the loss and pain those who are losing/lost their homes, I can only imagine how hard this must be for them. On the same note, it is good to see some pics shared of the memories and good times - Peace Out

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Was just looking at photos I took on Father's day when my son and I rode Toads. I feel selfish in mourning the loss of this area when so many are at risk of (or have already) lost their homes.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,665 Posts
Thought it might be a good idea (although depressing) to get a list together of the MTB trails lost/damaged so far this year, feel free to edit/add or correct, hopefully, while the scenery might take years to recover, the trails may be easier to salvage
  • Mt Hough
  • Flemming Meadows - Pollock Pines
  • Toads - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Armstrong (upper and lower) - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Corral - Tahoe/Meyers
  • Sidewinder - Tahoe/Meyers
Are all the South Lake Trails listed here confirmed as damaged/burning/burned?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Was just looking at photos I took on Father's day when my son and I rode Toads. I feel selfish in mourning the loss of this area when so many are at risk of (or have already) lost their homes.
I'm right there with you. Definitely a guilty type feeling when others are losing everything. But I was able to enjoy TRT to Monument to Cold Creek on Fathers Day. It was the best Fathers Day I've ever had, as my now 22 year old son was able to join me. We haven't ridden together in years and it was a really special moment.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,655 Posts
This is a good idea. And it's a developing story indeed. We have to think about these trails but in this own separate thread, with respect to life and property loss on the other ones.

I'll start collecting photos of mine.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
99% of people won't change their thinking but this is why I'm constantly telling people to quite putting off that destination trip until "next year" or "when I retire" because as we see year after year, trails are getting closed, burned or turned into Wilderness constantly. So if you don't go NOW, you just may never get to ride it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A few thoughts...

Between fires and pandemic.. Go do the the **** you want to do. Nothing is guaranteed. Spend a couple extra bucks on a trip, or better seats, or a new bike for that matter if it will bring you joy.

People want to make you feel guilty for having emotion about something that is not the worst. Someone posts because they are sad that a trail or ski resort or vacation home with years of memories is lost or at risk and gets lit up. This is taken by some as "my issue is more important that other peoples", which is unfair, we all deserve to tactfully be able to express how we feel about these loses. Just because someone cares about something doesn't mean they don't care about the other persons thing or that they feel it is more important. Overall this whole situation really sucks for a lot of people, no way around it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Are all the South Lake Trails listed here confirmed as damaged/burning/burned?
In the upper left of this image from The Lookout from about 7:30 this morning, the center of the image goes right across Toads (Saxon Creek trail). To the right hand side of the burn shown, it's going through the Fountain Place drainage, home of Coral/Sidewinder/Cedar/Armstrong. The firecrews are unlikely to stop the fire spreading uphill and getting the rest of these trails.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,665 Posts
In the upper left of this image from The Lookout from about 7:30 this morning, the center of the image goes right across Toads (Saxon Creek trail). To the right hand side of the burn shown, it's going through the Fountain Place drainage, home of Coral/Sidewinder/Cedar/Armstrong. The firecrews are unlikely to stop the fire spreading uphill and getting the rest of these trails.
Looks to be heading that way for sure and it's close. Is it there by looking at this map? The lower part of Saxon Creek, yes. But all that was thinned heavily last few years, especially near Corral.. War trail is for sure getting it. I know there was a massive effort brought on by the local eco groups to remedy the ladder fuel between Pioneer Trail and Powerline Rd. Let's all hope that does it's job, and the significant reduction in fuels due to lodgepole removal at Fountain Place also does it's job. But from this image, NW prevailing winds should push the fire SE.

Keep the beta coming! Some of the best SLT Fire info on the web seems to be right here.

·
slow
8,165 Posts
We went through this same loss of trails and campgrounds in our area last summer and back in 2012, so I can sympathize with what you are dealing with. I'd like to offer some encouragement. Fortunately the trails can come back and often the fire is moving fast enough that the burned areas are not as bad as expected.
While the scenery is changed for the foreseeable future, our experience around here has been that we can get many trails reopened in less than a year. We've had good participation from volunteers and our local MTB association has been working with some other trail organizations to get things reopened pretty quickly. Once the sawyers get in and get the downed trees and standing hazard trees cleared in the trail corridor, erosion stabilization can take place and the trail can once again open to use.

·
Nurse Ben
11,616 Posts
Having grown up in Truckee and lived in the area through college, it was a natural thing to come back to as a empty nester, but now I'm not so sure.

Yes, the trees, the mountains, the lakes, it's all gorgeous, but over time the influx of development, tourists, it's just not the same.

Now add the wildfires.

I can appreciate all the emotions that folks have for this region, but the fires were inevitable, climate change, drought, and poor forest management created the perfect storm.

I guess I hoped it would be less dramatic and it would be further into my future.

I have thousands of pictures from riding these trails, but it's the memories that are priceless. I'm not sure how I'll feel about them if and when I ride them again, sad I suspect.

I think right now it's all to fresh, and yes, "trails lost" is kinda callous when so many people are at risk of losing everything.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,665 Posts
Didn't Just Outstanding in Kern River burn too?
Yes, the French Fire is still currently burning up to Shirley Peak. Camp Nelson burned last year. Southern Sequoia NF has had it pretty rough last year or so. There are a lot of burn scars in that area though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will forever regret not making a better effort in getting to Tahoe and experiencing some of the iconic trails like Toad.

I wish all the local residents stay safe and make it through this the best way they can.

I try to be an optimistic about everything, but man, these past few years have really dimmed my light about many things.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Christmas Valley Trail Labor Day weekend 2018

As was mentioned, the trails will come back and they'll feel like entirely new trails. Our concern should be for the people and communities that are and will continue to impacted by these fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.