Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a topic of conversation on MTBR's FB page, Pinkbike, and Singletracks during the last week or so, but I'm interested to know specifically where us SoCal peeps are headed this summer.

Sedona? Moab? Tahoe? PNW?

How 'bout accommodations? Tent camping? Car camping? Fancy hotel?

Solo? A few buds? The whole fam-bam?

Discuss!

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
I'll be backpacking the PCT from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe in July. I'd love to bring a bike and take a couple days to hit Rock Creek and Kernville on the drive back to San Diego. But I'm not sure how I'd securely store the bike at the trail head while I'm hiking 7-8 days.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to make a Mammoth trip with someone who has been. A little daunting, going up alone.

Kernville is on the list too. Just Outstanding is worth the drive itself. Paired with Cannell (closed when I went), that would be a pretty sweet trip.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, PZ, 2w4s. I'll probably take one of both of you up on the Mammoth offer. I've got a pretty sweet, inexpensive condo hook-up that sleeps 6, just across the street from Grumpy's. Curious, have you guys ridden together?

I wanted to get a race or two in, too. I've never done it, but was thinking of heading up to Ashland for the race up there. I know those trails reasonably well. June 28, that one is. June 14 is too early for me...I'll be completely free after the 19th.

edit: Ely, NV is in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Wow.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thanks, PZ, 2w4s. I'll probably take one of both of you up on the Mammoth offer.
Cool I'll let you know when I'm going up. I know Hawg wants to get more into DH, so I plan on at least a trip with him for some introductory laps on Chain Smoke and Bullet :thumbsup:

Tahoe would be sweet as well if I can swing the vacation days.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I plan on being up approx every other weekend starting last weekend hah. Not sure when the park officially opens.
I'm hearing Memorial Day or the weekend after. Likely be bus shuttles as usual to start.
Uptown is possible to the garage currently. Downtown still has snow in the shade.
Rock Creek is in classic form-loose and drifty in the corners in the top two sections. 3rd is same as it ever was.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm hearing Memorial Day or the weekend after. Likely be bus shuttles as usual to start.
Uptown is possible to the garage currently. Downtown still has snow in the shade.
Rock Creek is in classic form-loose and drifty in the corners in the top two sections. 3rd is same as it ever was.
Cool. I'll probably be up one more time before the skiing ends, so it'd be nice to get some runs on the lower trails in even if they're not officially open. I did make a couple up/downtown runs last weekend...early season dirt is so awesome.

Really planning on LRC this year since I've somehow never done it. How much of a PITA is it to slog back up the road?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Going to Moab the last week of May with family and staying in a condo.

Moving over to Durango the 1st week of June and some friends/nabors will be meeting us there. My in-laws own 40 acres and you can ride from their driveway.

Bend, Oregon in September with friends, staying in a condo.

Back to Moab in October with the desert group, staying in a cabin at an RV campground

Will go to Big Bear a few times and trying to get dates settled for a Cannell Plunge / rafting trip at some point. Everybody says they want to go but getting them to put $$ down is a whole 'nother story!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.