Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Perpetually Intermediate
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I get the winter time riding in non-cotton clothing, but when it gets hot in the summer, what are the benefits of wearing a biking jersey versus a plain old cotton t-shirt? And to those helmets with just a little bit more air space in them actually keep you any cooler while climbing up to the ridge line in July sunshine? I'm on a budget, so while I want the best possible gear to make me comfortable and make the riding better, I don't want to spend where it's not really necessary. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
cotton t-shits will just become completely drenched in sweat 5 min into ride during the summer. you'll just end up getting really hot by wearing cotton because the sweat cant evaporate off of your skin. lightweight jerseys are the way to go. you dont have to spend a ton of money either to get decent riding gear. any big box store will have polyester workout shirts, usually they are under $20. if you want an actual biking jersey then check out primalwear.com, they have some stuff on sale right now from $10-$30. ebay is another good place to find jerseys.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Any polyester t-shirt will do fine. As mentioned in the prior post, they can be had inexpensively at Walmart or at online outlets. "Wicking" fabrics are polyester optimized to wick moisture away from your skin. But even the best poly shirts, wicking or not, will still get soaked, especially if you sweat a lot. But poly fabrics are not nearly as sponge-like as cotton. I like loose fitting, light poly knits for next to my skin, winter or summer.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
+1 for getting them at the big box stores, just make sure it's a wicking shirt. I usually get them at Target where they have Champion stuff pretty cheap or Academy Sports for Russell whichever looks nice and is on sale.

Helmets with ventilation and a visor is the way to go. You'd be surprised how much air actually does channel through the vents.

Get your baggies now while they are on sale. Check around for Hoss Ponderosa one of the best bang for the buck shorts are on sale for $39 right now... http://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/hoss-ponderosa-11514.htm?site=www.qbike.com

Take lots of water, I'm sure you have a hydration pack, but if not get one. You'll have so much fun this summer riding you won't even notice the heat.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
I have some cheezy Champion sleeveless workout shirts, think I paid $10 each on sale. A couple of other "MX style" wicking shirts that were so awful in style that I had to get them. Was hysterical when the hardcore weenies at Jim Thorpe saw them.........I mean, these are awful. WalMart MX shirts, need I say more? I just wears 'em and grins.

Watch for sales at sporting goods shops, like Eastern Mountain Sports, or whatever the chain sports store is in your area. They often put real cycling jerseys on sale for 50% off or more in the winter. More than a big box store, sure, but actually cut for cycling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
LOL. Not too bad I supposed. Just never wore tights before.

Chuck, I bought some dry wick shirts from Walmart just to try and see what it feels like. I wear them for working out at home. They don't seem too bad. I will likely be checking out stores like Target and local sports apparel for cheap wicking dry shirts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Maybe it’s just my imagination, but wicking shirts seem to “breathe” better, allowing me to stay cooler, resulting in a better workout. But, I do have one jersey that I bought to wear to races. I get really self-conscious at races, where people tend to be decked out in the latest cycling fashions.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
sponger said:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but wicking shirts seem to "breathe" better, allowing me to stay cooler, resulting in a better workout. But, I do have one jersey that I bought to wear to races. I get really self-conscious at races, where people tend to be decked out in the latest cycling fashions.
See, that's precisely why I bought those god-awful MX clone shirts. They're so far out of style, they're actually more IN style than the in-style bikers.

For the most part, people could care less what you wear. Those that do are the posers you'd probably not want to hang out with anyway, so why bother trying to fit in?

·
pants on head retarded
256 Posts
eh... I spose I'm one of the few who wears cotton often when I ride.

I suppose the climate helps-- I don't sweat much and it's extremely dry where I live, so I don't have problems with getting drenched.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
sponger said:
When I was growing up, my parents didn't show me a whole lot of love and attention. So, as a result, I go through life feeling unsure about myself and seeking approval from others.
Me too. Kinda why I enjoy being a musician. It's nice to be appreciated for who you are. Take a chance. I'll bet if you show up in a retro jersey and pink shorts, you'll get plenty of acceptance. I have my own reasons, but I've found that if I can't be me, and be accepted for the oddball I am, then I really don't want to spend time with those people. There are plenty of us around, you'll find us. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
for me, a jersey is a must on the road.. place to keep food and junk. mtb, im all about those cheap wicking shirts EVERYONE sells now. just picked up the new champion shirt at target for 6 bucks or something. these new ones are nicer than the old ones. the nordic trac ones from sears are the most comfortable against skin, but dont wick as good as others (but still drastically better than cotton).

.. oh they also all stink like unholy hell :lol: some more than others. scentless laundry detergent helps a lot.. or go merino wool, it has the amazing ability to not smell. you can take off merino wool socks after a 2 hour ride and stuff them to your face (or girlfriends face, for lol's) and get nothing.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
You know they sell a special detergent for those wicking fabrics. They have it at sports authority. Also for a helmet that flows alot of air and is relativly cheap go Giro Hex! Usualy like $50!

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
One Pivot said:
for me, a jersey is a must on the road.. place to keep food and junk. mtb, im all about those cheap wicking shirts EVERYONE sells now. just picked up the new champion shirt at target for 6 bucks or something. these new ones are nicer than the old ones. the nordic trac ones from sears are the most comfortable against skin, but dont wick as good as others (but still drastically better than cotton).

.. oh they also all stink like unholy hell :lol: some more than others. scentless laundry detergent helps a lot.. or go merino wool, it has the amazing ability to not smell. you can take off merino wool socks after a 2 hour ride and stuff them to your face (or girlfriends face, for lol's) and get nothing.
Oh yeah, they do stink. I usually have a trail of flies behind me after a couple of hours. The way I look at it, we're hairy legged guys (girls sometimes too) who take overbuilt kids bikes out in the woods and roll around in the mud for fun. If we don't stink, we're doing something wrong.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
I spent some money on decent Endura shorts with a snap-in padded compression short. I figure that area of my body needs all the help it can get on longer rides.

But, for shirts, I get the cheap stuff from Target and Walmart or Big 5 when it's on sale (Under Armor, etc). Just ordered this from Jenson for $20 the other day to wear if I want to look sort of biker-ish. Still pretty conservative but kinda cool and fits my style.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,077 Posts
yurtinus said:
eh... I spose I'm one of the few who wears cotton often when I ride.

I suppose the climate helps-- I don't sweat much and it's extremely dry where I live, so I don't have problems with getting drenched.
I wear cotton outer layers in the summer.. it acts like a swampcooler. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.