Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So im 6'4 225 down from 240 planning to drop more this summer. (im only 20)
2 years back i had dropped from 200ish to <160 in a few monthswas running riding all the time. Working out 5 times a least a week benching 260 and running 4 times a week and cruising about 17 minutes for 5km. I cut down and snacks and all junk food still loaded up carbs and coke though but still lost weight by the week. But I felt like garbage often.

Then I decided I wanted my bulk back. That wish plus rez food for a year at University let left me with liver problems (REALLY!) made me the clyde I am today. Problem was I kept eating and picked up 2 jobs + school so my fitness level dropped. Riding is the only thing keeping me semi fit.

Edit to clarify:
200 ish is my goal body weight, I want to build muscle mass lose fat and work on overall definition and fitness level. Any tips from anyone? ie high weight or low? how often? diet? My upper body strength is garbage right now so thats going to be a focus. I had hoped to combine with a routine that would not leave me to spent to ride hard at least every other day. This is a summer project. I know what worked before but I dont think what I did was very healthy.

To help me get there I have about 600lbs of free weights and various bars and a couple benches. I also have a basic weight machine with butterfly, lat bar, leg curl press. It has 180lbs of weight on it. Also I have a sauna...( Ive heard or people using the sauna in between sets ..Im told to sweat everything out and help burn fat.. But never from a reliable source.) I also have a single speed, my hoss and a road bike for my cardio end.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Confused...

voided said:
So im 6'4 225 down from 240 planning to drop more this summer. (im only 20)
2 years back i had dropped from 200ish to <160 was running riding all the time. Working out 5 times a least a week benching 260 and running 4 times a week and cruising about 17 minutes for 5km. I cut down and snacks and all junk food still loaded up carbs and coke though but still lost weight by the week.

Then I decided I wanted my bulk back. That wish plus rez food for a year at University let left me with liver problems (REALLY!) made me the clyde I am today. Problem I kept eating and picked up 2 jobs + school so my fitness level dropped. Still road all the time but thats about it.
I Dont really care to drop lower then 200 just want to get fit again and build muscle mass. Any tips from anyone? My upper body strength is garbage right now. Doubt I could bench my body weight (Yeah I do know bench press isnt everything its just sorta a standard to compare).
I have about 600lbs of free weights and various bars and a couple benches. I also have a basic weight machine with butterfly, lat bar, leg curl press. It has 180lbs of weight on it.
Basically looking for someone who has a good routine idea that I can combine with my riding or ideally knows of a good site that shows good routines I can get into to get fit this summer. Me and my girlfriend thank you.
I'm confused on what you're looking for. Strength and muscle mass? Cycling/cardio fitness? Both? My experience with lifting and mountain biking was that I had to manage too much. It took me two days to recover enough from a chest/back day before I could mountain bike without feeling too weak to move the bike around. I didn't work my legs at all for the same reason.

Managing a gym work out and mountain biking was a PITA for me. And I decided that I didn't really feel like lugging around any extra muscle mass on climbs. So I stopped going to the gym and focused on riding.

It seems like you want to build muscle mass and base fitness. So here's my 2¢:

- Find a lifting routine designed to build muscle mass (low reps, heavy weights, etc.)
- Get a road bike and ride long slow distance (LSD) rides.

Ken

·
Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
79 Posts
Sauna, only relaxes you body, and burns water. Any weightloss after leaving the sauna is a loss of water, not real weight. I have never heard of anyone hitting the sauna between sets, only after a workout to relax.

Search the internet for a basic fitness routine, us it 3 days a week and ride on the off-days (preferably with one day a week or total rest). For the first 6-8 weeks you will be moving in the correct direction.

And remember, weight is not a measure of health. Muscle is heavy compaired to fat. When you start gaining muscle you will lose fat, but the lean muscle will be heaver then the fat so you might actually gain some weight.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you want to lift for strength increases without all the added bulk try doing 3 set of 5 reps with heavy weights. By all means do your warm up set first then try the 3 for 5 lifts. Rest about 60 to 90 seconds between each set.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Back in the day... in my 20s... I used bulk up in the winter with lots of weight lifting and creatine, then trim down in the summer with riding. But now I am so stoked on riding that I try to stay trim year round.

To answer your questions. High weights/low reps will allow for greater strength and muscle mass gains. To trim down its all about cardio and watching your diet. Cut out the food that has empty calories.... like chips, beer, faty foods in general (eat lean meats/protein, complex carbs, and little fat). Kick up your protein a bit, that will help build and rebuild muscle from weight lifting. You could try lifting 2-3 days a week and ride 4+ days/week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.