Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, on the night of the Summer Solstice, my neighbor and I suited up to pedal to our favorite night ride spot down the road. As we rode through the first evening of summer, we heard the sound of old time music drifting out from the farm that separates our neighborhood from our destination. Then we saw a handmade sign that read "Circus".

Well who (besides PETA) doesn't like a Circus? Especially one that's on my neighbor's farm. As we pedaled up to the gathering of a hundred or so folks, we got some strange looks. I'm pretty sure we were the only people there in non-natural fibers and my shiny silver shoes and a matching shiny silver pack and shiny silver helmet (I'm a metrosexual, you know) stood out among the hemp and cotton crowd.

Soon though, we had cold beers in our hands and we watched a series of great acts- clowns, monster battles, an old-time reworking of Salt and Pappa's "Push It", some burlesque and an amazing trapeze girl who did all kinds of impressive feats from a 200 year old oak tree with no net or padding beneath her. All this in a beautiful field within spitting distance of my home and a stash of sweet, flowing singletrack.

We left filled with gratitude and happiness that we live in such an interesting place, both physically and culturally. Say what you will about Asheville, but it never ceases to entertain me or make me smile.

I sure wish I'd taken my camera this time...

Oh yeah, the ride was great as always.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Mike Brown said:
STP- niiiiiice.
65- he lives on the eastside of town near some kind of college. Them's all the directions you're going to get.:thumbsup:
Hmmm. Must be near Willy Wonka. Them's all the directions I need! I'll just look for the signs.:D

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
So you rode your bikes in a circus? You are a circus freak now? Will you be riding with a Liger the next time I see you?

Awww I am just being jokular again, cool story. We have a circus where I live but it is just people living their lives. . .

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
extrmtao said:
So you rode your bikes in a circus? You are a circus freak now? Will you be riding with a Liger the next time I see you?

Awww I am just being jokular again, cool story. We have a circus where I live but it is just people living their lives. . .
Sometimes MTBR is like a proverbial 3 ring circus.....weeeeeeeeee...:D now where's that cotton candy vendor ???

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wish I knew

There was a campout that followed that evening, and I intended to go back after our ride to meet some of the troupe, but one thing led to another and I didn't make it back. I did remember seeing some of the musicians busking downtown the day of the circus, but haven't seen them since.

On my way into work today I noticed a similar looking sign that said "Firefly" at the farm entrance and some interesting looking characters setting up tents. May be worth another visit...

East Sieeed!

·
Registered
109 Posts
the reason i ask is that my cousin is in a small circus that plays venues like this. probably too small based on all the performances you described although they may have grown since i last talked to her about it. she performs tree branch trapeeze. they are pretty much just living their lives but like to travel around the country for impromptu performances.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.