Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the photos, these bikes seem similar.

Anyone ridden both bikes?

I am looking for a fast, stable, all-around FS ride for terrain from Marin to Tahoe....

Currently ride a GF 293.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
There may not be too many folks who have ridden both bikes at this point. Those who have ridden either bike will chime in about how great either one is.

I have the El Rey and can say its a GREAT bike. I am sure the Sultan is too (its a Turner). Having previously owned a Turner, I would have undoubtedly bought the Sultan if it was available earlier. Since I could get the Ventana 2 months earlier, and I wanted something now, I gave the El Rey a try. Going with the Ventana was a good call.

Random thoughts:

-The rear suspension is the most laterally rigid I have ever ridden. The suspension movement is incredibly smooth through the entire length of its travel. Might I say the best I have ever owned? The frame is burly.

-Geometry is balanced and spot on. Feels great going up or down.

-Fit 'n finish seems a little better on the Ventana than on my Turner. Both are great, but the Ventana is little better.

-The El Rey doesn't have bushings. I love those darn Turner bushings, but I live in San Diego which never really push them to their capabilities.

Intangibles:

-Turner bushings

-Turner offers an annodized finish, Ventana doesn't. Ventana's powder coat colors are cooler.

-Able to go full custom on the Ventana. All fabrication done under Ventanas roof.

-5" travel kit available for the El Rey allows for future "growth".

-Other than the above, their both good, take your pick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Love the bars. Super wide, lots of sweep, cheap, and not that heavy for a big aluminum bar. One more bonus: I am always moving parts around on my bikes and have indented two sets of Monkeylites from over torqueing my shifters and brakes. Not an issue with aluminum.

cycljunkie said:
What are your thoughts on the Syntace bars? I'm running some on my Leviathan and am quite pleased with them...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
29er shootout.

Gues you missed the MTBR 29er shootout that was put up last weekend. They had both of these bikes to ride between several different riders and you can find their opinions here
the_eleven said:
Looking at the photos, these bikes seem similar.

Anyone ridden both bikes?

I am looking for a fast, stable, all-around FS ride for terrain from Marin to Tahoe....

Currently ride a GF 293.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Be careful Dude.........

.............or you may well join the likes of Aqualholic and get injured and then rescued by a gravity dropper rider. :p :D Oh and have to agree thats one sweet looking ride.
FoShizzle said:
dude, your bike is hawt....minus the "break at any time" gravity retarder

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Unfortunately, just about every bike but the Sultan was in the test.

LyNx said:
Gues you missed the MTBR 29er shootout that was put up last weekend. They had both of these bikes to ride between several different riders and you can find their opinions here

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That's right....

..maybe it was that one of the testers had one or had ridden one or it's that I've read a few reviews of the Sultan of late. I dunno this 29er lust thing really has the head all screwed up now :madman:

bigdrunk said:
Unfortunately, just about every bike but the Sultan was in the test.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
bigdrunk said:
I picked up the GR just for you! The bike definately looks much cleaner with the Moots post on it.
seriously dude....the bike looks psick! after seeing it i realize that i may want one now for sure. and the gheyness of the Lefty is to die for!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I was thinking the RFX was ready to be sent to the glue factory. I've said it in other posts, the El Rey/Lefty combo owns my old 5-Spot/AM1 combo. My biggest complaint is the flurry of questions that I get about the fork and the freakin seatpost.

FoShizzle said:
seriously dude....the bike looks psick! after seeing it i realize that i may want one now for sure. and the gheyness of the Lefty is to die for!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
bigdrunk said:
I was thinking the RFX was ready to be sent to the glue factory. I've said it in other posts, the El Rey/Lefty combo owns my old 5-Spot/AM1 combo. My biggest complaint is the flurry of questions that I get about the fork and the freakin seatpost.
...I'm with you there. I am seriously (pleasantly) surprised that I actually prefer the Sultan to my RFX in 5" mode. It continues to amaze me just how versatile it is...climbs like a xc bike & descends like a DH! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigdrunk said:
-The El Rey doesn't have bushings. I love those darn Turner bushings, but I live in San Diego which never really push them to their capabilities.
Educate me as to why bushings make a difference. Less maintenance? More rigid frame?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Can't speak to rigidity, but Turner bushings will outlast sealed bearings in crappy conditions. No contest. Plus the zirc fittings are a nice touch. I hear about bearings freezing up, rolling rough, etc, but barely ever hear about Turner bushings going bad.

the_eleven said:
Educate me as to why bushings make a difference. Less maintenance? More rigid frame?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
bigdrunk said:
Can't speak to rigidity, but Turner bushings will outlast sealed bearings in crappy conditions. No contest. Plus the zirc fittings are a nice touch. I hear about bearings freezing up, rolling rough, etc, but barely ever hear about Turner bushings going bad.
perhaps.....but Ventana bearing setups certainly have my trust 100%

Turner bushing versus Ventana quad bearings....tough call....i think the Ventana overall will be stiffer though (especially given the shorter rockers but no data on file) i would never be able to tell i dont think given my girlish figure

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i think the Ventana overall will be stiffer though (especially given the shorter rockers but no data on file) i would never be able to tell i dont think given my girlish figure
Or it could be one of those things that doesn't make itself known until you actually ride the bike. Either way your screwed. :lol:

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
bigdrunk said:
I am always moving parts around on my bikes and have indented two sets of Monkeylites from over torqueing my shifters and brakes. Not an issue with aluminum.
LOL! I have two sets of Monkeylites in the same condition... Agreed, love the bars!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Turner produces a 29er FS reluctantly. Sherwood pumped one out progressively. Sherwood also produces longer travel FS bikes and HT/SS frames for 29er.

Oh yeah, Sherwood also builds his own bikes (read: custom options) and uses a time tested design. Turner is a marketing company and bushings are overrated. I owned a 02 RFX. Beautiful bike...sorry to see DT sell the DNA down the river.

Turner bailed on the Horst - it's only advantage - and is trying to play catch up as a marketing vs. fab shop. My friends "old" Salty was laterally stiffer than my heavier duty RFX (Horst)...period.

Get the Ventana - the owner has a vested interest in your satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.